Having a healthy scalp is imperative to reveal the strong, vibrant, and shiny hair, thus, it is absolutely necessary for you who need to appear the impeccable hair luster, that you should provide the essential nutrients needed by the scalp.
For this reason, you can come up with any treatment for your scalp, either chemically or naturally. However, due to safety consideration, we encourage you to take advantage of one of natural ingredients that are already widely known in most community, which recognized as the Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV), and that is what we will discuss this time, apple cider vinegar for healthy scalp and hair.
How apple cider vinegar is good for your hair and scalp?
People from different parts of the world have been using apple cider vinegar for hundreds of years to treat any health concerns they probably have. They also involve ACV when dealing with any skin disorders, including the scalp.
Apple cider vinegar is a cheap and cost-effective option, becoming one of the most popular and an effective way to clean up the buildup of dirt on the scalp for various reasons. Therefore, ACV is very effective to create a healthy environment on the scalp and keep it away from certain adverse conditions such as dandruff, dry scalp, and itching.
Intensive research shows that topical application of vinegar capable of controlling the growth of fungi and bacteria which become the reason for the clogging of hair follicles and lead to hair-loss. Therefore for those of you who long to have healthy hair, you can start by taking apple cider vinegar as a top choice to improve scalp health and promote hair growth thoroughly.
- Healthy Ingredients of Apple Cider Vinegar
- How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair and Scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse for Scalp Treatment
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Buildup of Scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Oily Scalp and Hair
- Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse for Itchy Scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff and Dry Scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Fungus of Scalp
- Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis
- Additional Tips When Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp
Healthy Ingredients of Apple Cider Vinegar
Many healthy ingredients can be found in apple cider vinegar which is useful to improve the health of your scalp and hair. However, what does apple cider vinegar do for your hair? How does ACV treat your scalp? Here are the details.
Prevent Dry and Infection of Scalp
Acts as Effective Disinfectant
Works as Natural Cleanser
Good as Exfoliating Agent
Apple cider vinegar is rich in anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial properties; besides, it also able to maintain the balance of pH level of the scalp.
Therefore, ACV application is useful to prevent dryness and infection that usually become the beginning of the symptoms of hair loss.
Because it contains active enzymes (Malic Acid) as well as a natural antiseptic, ACV can be useful as a disinfectant in an appropriate concentration; thus the disinfectant made from ACV can be utilized to prevent the growth of fungi and bacteria which become the reason of itchy and dry scalp.
Your scalp and hair require a natural cleanser to get rid of the dirt and the remnants of shampoo that may be left off. To do this, ACV is the right choice, because it contains Acetic Acid which is effective to do the cleansing job in scalp and hair.
In addition, the acid present in ACV also reduces itchiness and flaking, as well as opening up clogged hair follicles that make ACV acts as a conditioner. Thus, don’t be surprised if ACV can create your hair look softer and lighter.
Several important substances can also be found in ACVs such as iron and potassium, as well as vitamins (A, C, B1, B6) that are essential nutrients for hair growth.
ACV may also serve as a treatment for psoriasis, as the content of alpha hydroxyl acid present in ACV is a great exfoliating agent to remove the top layer of the dead scalp.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Hair and Scalp
The harsh environment and daily activities contribute greatly in causing various problems in the skin and scalp. People in this environment are very susceptible to some bad scalp conditions that generally manifest in the form of dandruff, itching, flaking and drought.
You can come up with some apple cider vinegar recipes to overcome the problem around your scalp. Since plain apple cider vinegar is too strong for scalp and hair applications, here are some recipes of apple cider vinegar you can follow.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse for Scalp Treatment
The first recipe is an apple cider vinegar rinse, a simple rinse that promotes healthy scalp and hair that keeps you away from dry, itchy and flaking scalp.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
- Mix vinegar and water with a ratio of ¼ cup of vinegar and ¾ cup of water. Put the mixture into a bowl and stir it evenly.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle afterwards, for reusable rinse.
- Once you have your shampooing, rinse your hair and scalp with this vinegar solution. Conditioning your hair afterwards.
- Here’s how, spray the vinegar solution on your hair root and leave for about 5 minutes.
- Following by massaging your scalp for a few minutes, and after 5 minutes, rinse your hair with water.
- Apply a gentle conditioner to your hair, this rinse helps reduce itching and nourishes your scalp.
White Vinegar or Apple Cider Vinegar
Taking remedy out of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar can free up your hair and scalp from itching, dry, flaking conditions.
- Pour ¼ cup white vinegar or ACV into a cup of water, stir it evenly and place it in a spray bottle.
- Wet your hair with water before application, or take a bath if necessary, then spray vinegar solution throughout the hair and scalp.
- Give a light massage to your scalp, to allow the vinegar solution fully absorbed by the pores of the scalp.
- Leave on for at least 5 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards. Shampooing your hair with a mild shampoo and pat dry your hair.
Apply Diluted Vinegar
This diluted vinegar solution will prevent your scalp and hair from the symptoms of dandruff, itching and dry scalp.
- Stir ¼ cup organic white vinegar and ½ cup water, accommodate in a bowl.
- Pour a vinegar solution into a spray bottle.
- Spray the solution on your scalp evenly and leave for about 10 minutes. Rinse with water afterwards.
Plain White Vinegar for Scalp
- Still struggling with white vinegar, now try to mix ½ cup of vinegar and two cups of warm water, mix it evenly.
- Once you have your shampoo, use the solution for the last rinse. You may also add a few drops of sage oil to the mixture.
- Let the solution settle for about 30 minutes; you can cover up your hair with a towel.
- Wash your hair with water and repeat once a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Buildup of Scalp
The usage of hair styling products can boost your confidence; however, there is always a price that you must pay. Since hair styling products can leave a buildup on the scalp, thus such condition can lead to any hair concerns.
Unfortunately, regular shampooing unable to get rid of scalp buildup properly. Here, Apple cider vinegar can be an efficient solution to clean up your scalp when it comes to any buildup due to many reasons.
Apply Diluted Vinegar
- Mix two tablespoons each of apple cider vinegar and water, accommodate in a small container.
- Shampoo and condition your hair in the first place, followed by applying the vinegar solution to your scalp and hair.
- Allow it to stay for about 5 minutes, rinse with water afterwards.
- You can repeat this regimen every time you finish using your favorite hair styling product.
Apply Cider Vinegar with Shampoo
- Make a simple solution of ¼ part of apple cider vinegar and ¾ part of water, adjust to the length of your hair.
- Shampooing your hair in the first place and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Brush your hair and scalp with a wide bristle brush, followed by applying the solution of vinegar into the scalp and hair evenly.
- Give a light massage on the scalp for at least 3 minutes. Following by rinsing your hair with water to clean the vinegar solution.
- Take a mild conditioner to taste and apply on your scalp and hair, leave for 30 minutes, do not forget to cover up your hair with a shower cap.
- The final step is to rinse your hair with water and get shiny and fine hair with a clean scalp.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Oily Scalp and Hair
Your head produces oil naturally, which has a goal to keep your scalp and hair healthy. However, when the head produces excess oil, it can lead to oily hair, itching, and even dandruff.
ACV, on the other hand, acts as a great cleansing agent to clean up the excessive oil and dead skin cells buildup. It helps create a clean and healthy environment on the scalp, moisturizes hair and prevents dryness. You will find that itching and flaking are reduced with regular use of ACV over your head.
Vinegar with Avocado and Coconut Oil
The application of coconut oil and avocado promote moisture and provide better hydration effect on the scalp and hair.
- Start by making a solution of apple cider vinegar and water in equal parts. Place the solution into a spray bottle and shake for a few minutes.
- You can split your hair into different parts and spray the mixture onto the scalp. Leave on for a few minutes, about 10 minutes.
- Shampooing your hair as normally you would, preferably using tea tree oil containing shampoo.
- Then, puree an avocado and pour two tablespoons of coconut oil into it, stirring evenly to form the consistency of the porridge.
- Apply on your scalp and hair, and support with gentle massage for several minutes.
- Let the mask settle on your hair for 20-30 minutes, do not forget to cover up your hair with a shower cap or a wet towel.
- Follow the mask with a mild shampoo and rinse off with water. Repeat this hair washing process at least once a week to get the ideal moisture on your hair.
Baking Soda with Vinegar Rinse
- Make a solution of baking soda and water, adjust to the length of your hair. Apply this solution from root to tip of hair thoroughly.
- Follow it with a gentle massage to your scalp for a few minutes, and wash out the baking soda solution with warm water afterwards.
- Now prepare one part vinegar and four parts water to form a dilute vinegar solution. Adding a few drops of essential oil is also allowed.
- Ensure the entire scalp and hair is covered with this vinegar solution.
- Leave on for 5 minutes and rinse well with water afterwards.
Regular Vinegar Rinse
- You can start with shampoo as you normally would.
- Prepare two cups of warm water and ½ cup vinegar. Once you have your shampoo, apply the vinegar solution to your scalp and hair.
- Leave on for at least 30 minutes; you can cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Rinse your hair with water, follow this treatment twice a week for optimal results.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse for Itchy Scalp
Apple cider vinegar is a natural cleansing agent that is useful for cleaning the hair and controlling the development of itching on the scalp.
Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
- Make a dilute vinegar solution by mixing one part each of water and apple cider vinegar.
- Apply this solution to your scalp with the help of a cotton ball, but wash your hair with water in the first place.
- Gently massage your scalp to ensure the scalp perfectly absorbs the solution.
- Leave on for 15 minutes and shampoo your hair with a lightweight shampoo.
- Follow this treatment twice a week until you get relief from scalp itching.
Diluted Vinegar Rinse
- Wash your hair with shampoo as you normally would.
- Mix a cup of water and three tablespoons of vinegar. Apply the solution on the scalp and hair.
- Massage your scalp for a few minutes, rinse your hair with water afterwards.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff and Dry Scalp
Vinegar is rich in acid and certain enzymes that make it effective in killing the bacteria (Bacillus) that causes problems around the scalp like dandruff, itchy scalp, flaky scalp, and hair loss. Thus if you suffer from any scalp condition, use ACV to get fast relief.
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
- Pour three tablespoons of apple cider vinegar into two cups of warm water. Once you have your shampoo, apply this mixture to your scalp and hair.
- Let the solution settle on your scalp, repeat this process twice a week for optimal results.
Apple Cider Vinegar with Coconut Oil
- Dilute vinegar by adding the same amount of water.
- Rinse your hair and scalp with this solution and leave for about 15 minutes.
- Use a shampoo containing tea tree oil for shampooing, dry out your hair with a clean, soft towel.
- Apply some coconut oil on your entire scalp to remove dandruff, repeat this treatment for 4-5 days ahead.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Fungus of Scalp
The scalp can promote the growth of the scalp fungus whenever dirt and excessive oil accumulate on the scalp which causing intolerable itching. Vinegar, in this case, can play a major role in removing scalp fungus and prevent the occurrence of fungal infection.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
- Mix ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar into a cup of water. Stir evenly and apply thoroughly to your scalp before shampooing.
- Allow at least 10 minutes followed by shampooing with a mild shampoo.
- Apply conditioner after application, repeat the process at least twice a week, until your scalp is free of fungus.
Diluted Apple Cider Vinegar
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in the same amount, stir evenly and apply the vinegar once shampooing.
- Gently massage your scalp and leave for about 5 minutes. Follow by washing your hair with warm water.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis
Scalp psoriasis is the development of plaque on the scalp with manifest as thick patches appear red and inflamed. Vinegar contains antibacterial properties which are useful to counteract the symptoms of psoriasis, kill causing bacteria and prevent this condition to occur.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Water
- Dilute apple cider vinegar by mixing a cup of water and two tablespoons of ACV.
- Pour the solution into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on the scalp infected with psoriasis.
- Avoid using ACV in open wounds, bleeding wounds and cracked skin on your scalp.
Soaking with Vinegar
- Pour 1-2 cups of apple cider vinegar into the bath water. Use bath water to wash your hair with the help of a mild shampoo.
- Dry your hair and apply the vinegar solution to the scalp infected with psoriasis.
Additional Tips When Using Apple Cider Vinegar for Scalp
You can apply these following useful tips to get extra benefits from apple cider vinegar.
- If you have scalp infection, use organic, unpasteurized, and unfiltered vinegar.
- Repeat the treatment with vinegar regularly when dealing with scalp infection.
- Diluted vinegar generally does not cause a burning sensation in the scalp, but if you feel burned or irritated, use more dilute vinegar.
- The smell of vinegar is sometimes unfriendly for some people, although the smell of vinegar will disappear over time you can apply more diluted vinegar to avoid the stinging smell.
- Avoid using vinegar solution on oily hair, because oil inhibits penetration of vinegar to the scalp.
- Incorporating vinegar to the diet is the right choice, use vinegar in the form of salad dressing or use it as a food preservative.
However, you also need to apply proper treatments for your scalp and hair, such as washing your hair regularly, avoiding hair styling products, healthy diet and avoid stress. All that will assist you in creating a healthy scalp and shiny hair.