There are a lot of changes in a person’s skin as time goes by. Hormonal changes, lifestyles, and environmental factors affect the health of the skin as well. One of the skin disorder commonly found in a person is the red blotchy skin.
Blotchy skin, which means irregular patches that appear anywhere in your body. It starts with skin discoloration which manifests as white, red or grayish-brown areas and is accompanied by certain symptoms such as intense itchiness and redness.
This types of skin disorders usually appear on face, chest, and legs, and for some people, their arms can display blotchy skin as well although it is not too uncommon. You can find a number of reasons behind the blotchy skin, which at first glance looks like a skin rash even if it is not.
- Causes of Red Blotchy Skin
- How to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin in Natural Ways
- Additional Tips for People with Blotchy Skin
Causes of Red Blotchy Skin
Just like any other health disorders that it is important to understand the causes behind the blotchy skin that interferes the overall appearance of your body. The objective is to determine the appropriate treatment and get rid of them from your skin forever. Here are a few of them which causes uneven skin tone.
- Skin Diseases
- Harsh Weather
- Infections on Skin
- Changes in Hormonal
- Hyper Pigmentation
- Stress Effect
- Bad Environmental Influence
- Heredity Factors
Skin disease ranks first in the list of causes of blotchy red skin, and this is not surprising since a few serious skin diseases such as eczema, psoriasis, keratosis pilaris, contact dermatitis, rosacea, etc. can cause skin discoloration that causes the blotchy skin in the end.
We need to map the condition of the skin in the first place to determine the appropriate treatment, in the case of keratosis pilaris, skin filled with excessive keratin, which it is a protein that may clog the skin pores and give the blotchy skin. This blockage can cause redness and inflammation, thereby getting rid of clogged pores by exfoliation is essential to restore the skin’s natural color.
Several skin types have different sensitivity levels in dealing with weather changes. When you experience the weather is too cold or hot, it can be assured that your skin will lose its moisture, thus it can cause redness of the skin which provides red blotchy skin on face, legs or other body parts.
For people suffering from certain fungal infections, it is undeniable that they can develop a blotchy skin rash. Tinea versicolor and ringworm can appear anywhere on your body and generally looked like a white blotchy skin, but they also look like red or brown, and even scaly.
Every person must undergo hormonal changes during their lifetime, especially pregnant women who experience a surge of hormones that contribute to the blotchy red skin on face.
This condition is called Melasma or Chloasma, and they should immediately go to the doctor for proper treatment because pregnancy is a critical moment which needs experts to handle. Women generally get dark patches during pregnancy, and this can interfere with their overall appearance.
In case your skin getting trauma or certain diseases such as rashes, burns, allergies, contact dermatitis, acne, wounds, and infections, it can be ascertained if you have blotchy skin patches. People call it hyper pigmentation or post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation (PIH). Suppose you get an injured leg; your body will produce excess pigment in the affected area and cause skin discoloration on legs blotchy.
Almost everyone has experienced stress in their lives that can sometimes contribute a significant amount to the changes in their skin. One of them is giving you the blotchy skin, which sometimes appear on the face, upper chest or neck. People with stress, need sufficient relaxation and sometimes a little help from certain drugs such as antihistamines, lotions, and moisturizers to help relieve swelling and redness.
If you are frequently exposed to hazardous substances in daily life, in which they are often contained in the cosmetics, detergents, and perfumes, you have the possibility to develop blotchy skin, as well when you’re allergic to dust, pollutants, and fur, they give the same effect on your skin.
No one can refuse genetic factors derived from the ancestry, we accept the nature of good and bad at the same time, including skin conditions that we have. Fair skin present on a person, usually derived from the genes of parents, which is easily susceptible to the formation of blotchy skin.
Fair skin tends to be easily visible as a red blotchy skin, and this turned out to be difficult to treat. However complements the skin with a moisturizer may reduce the intensity of redness; also you should avoid irritants that could potentially cause such redness.
How to Get Rid of Blotchy Skin in Natural Ways
You may come up with home remedies to get rid of red blotchy skin when the cause behind your skin rash is not serious, gentle treatments taken out of the kitchen can help you to overcome the skin disorders.
- Coconut Oil for Blotchy Skin
- For easy use, apply a little coconut oil on areas of blotchy skin. Gently rub the skin for a few minutes and let stand for at least 10 minutes to allow the skin to absorb the oil completely.
- Repeat this process twice a day for optimum results.
- You can also make a scrub of a mixture of coconut oil, sugar, and honey. Stir the mixture evenly and apply on the affected area.
- Rub gently for a few minutes and wash with warm water afterwards. Repeat twice a week.
- Cucumber Mask for Blotchy Skin
- Peel and make some cucumber juice, add a few drops of lavender oil if possible (you may substitute lavender with some lemon juice).
- Take a cotton ball and dip it into cucumber juice, apply on the affected area and leave it for about 15 or 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with cold water afterwards and repeat every day at least once a day.
- Yogurt for Blotchy Skin
- To overcome the problem of blotchy skin, you simply take some of plain yogurt and apply on the skin blotchy patches.
- Allow it to stay for at least 30 minutes and rinse with cold water afterwards.
- You can also make a mixture of one tablespoon each of plain yogurt and turmeric powder. Spread the mixture on the affected area.
- Wait for at least 30 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards. Repeat this process for 3-4 times a week.
- Vitamin E Oil for Blotchy Skin
- Mix one or two capsules of vitamin E oil and a teaspoon of olive oil. Apply it on the affected area before going to bed and leave it overnight. Rinse off the next morning.
- Repeat the treatment every day until your skin tone improves.
- You may also massage the affected skin by using vitamin E oil directly. Let stand for 15 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat this process twice a day for several weeks.
- Oatmeal for Blotchy Skin
- You may take two tablespoons of ground oatmeal, and add warm water to obtain a smooth paste.
- Add ½ teaspoon of honey and mix all ingredients equally, and apply the paste on your red blotchy skin. Wait for at least 5 minutes followed by a gentle massage with your fingers.
- Rinse with warm water afterwards.
- You can also mix a cup of oatmeal powder into the bathtub and use it to soak yourself for 20 minutes or more. Repeat 3-4 times a week.
- Aloe Vera for Blotchy Skin
- Simply take some aloe vera gel and rub on the affected area with the help of a cotton ball.
- Let stand for some time or dry in airborne, wash them thoroughly with water afterwards.
- Repeat two or three times a day for several weeks to get even skin tone.
- Green Tea for Blotchy Skin
- Just brew a green tea bag into a cup of warm water and leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Mix one tablespoon of rice flour/oatmeal with the tea to obtain a smooth paste. Apply the paste on the affected area and wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water, repeat this process two or three times a week.
- If you only want a green tea without any mixture, dip a cotton ball into the tea and put on patches on the skin.
- Baking Soda for Blotchy Skin
- Make a fine paste of baking soda and some water. Apply the paste on the skin blotchy patches.
- Gently rub the skin for a few minutes, use your fingers. Rinse with cold water afterwards.
- Add a light moisturizer as a complementary treatment, repeat once a day for every two or three days.
- Honey for Blotchy Skin
- Take some honey and apply on the affected area, rub for a few minutes with the help of your fingers. Let stand for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards. Apply a light moisturizer.
- You can also mix beeswax, honey and olive oil in equal parts, apply the mixture on the affected area, leave for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water.
- Repeat either processes every day to get an even skin tone.
- Certain Essential Oils for Blotchy Skin
- You can take a few drops of essential oil and apply on the affected area.
- Gently massage for a few seconds with the help of your fingers and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water afterwards, and repeat the process once a day for several days.
Coconut oil contains a myriad of benefits for overall health and beauty. Anyone who takes coconut oil and applies on the skin, they can receive good benefits of this oil. It is a great moisturizer for dry skin, which can sometimes be one of the reasons behind the blotchy skin.
In addition, anti-bacterial and anti-septic properties present in coconut oil help relieve redness and inflammation. Moisturizing properties of coconut oil is able to hydrate the skin and get rid of blotchy skin in one application.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Sugar – (brown) one tablespoon. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon (optional).
Note » This scrub works excellent for blotchy skin resulting from Keratosis Pilaris.
We take cucumber because of this type of vegetables, providing cool properties that are good for the body. When it comes to blotchy skin, cucumber works to control the production of melanin, thus getting rid of dark patches on the skin.
Cucumbers are loaded with antioxidant compounds that help heal inflammation and redness of the skin; also the content of vitamin C present in a cucumber is very beneficial for skin rejuvenation. While cucumber also contains vitamin K which is useful to diminish dark circles or black spots that you may have.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cucumbers – sufficiently. (ii) Lavender oil – a few drops. (iii) Cotton ball – clean one.
Yogurt is a dairy product that provides substantial benefits either internally and externally. It also works great on blotchy skin that you may experience because yogurt is rich in lactic acid in which it is an alpha hydroxy acid that is widely used in beauty products.
It is also designed to help soften the rough and dry skin, in addition to the lactic acid may be useful as an exfoliating agent to get rid of dead skin cells which became one of the reasons behind the blotchy skin. With the ability to exfoliation of yogurt, it is also effective to diminish the age spots.
Ingredients you need: (i) Plain yogurt – sufficiently. (ii) Turmeric powder – sufficiently.
It was no coincidence when you ever look at vitamin E became one of the best-selling lists of a beauty product. People are hunting for vitamin E to improve the condition of their skin, because it is rich in powerful antioxidants and have anti-aging properties.
Vitamin E may help tarnish blotchy skin and uneven skin tone, and in addition, it also provides moisture and prevent dryness of the skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Vitamin E Oil – one or two capsules. (ii) Olive oil – sufficiently.
Oatmeal is quite easy to find on the market, making it the ideal remedy for removing skin rash. An exfoliating ability of oatmeal can help remove dead skin cells, and this becomes an easy way to get rid of the blotchy skin.
Oatmeal can also act as a moisturizing agent that provides rehydration effect and prevents dryness of the skin. Besides, oatmeal also contains anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties that are very efficient in relieving redness and itching.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oatmeal powder – sufficiently. (ii) Warm water – sufficiently. (iii) Raw honey – sufficiently (optional).
Aloe vera is a great ally for the beauty and health of people. It has soothing properties which are one thing that is needed to dispel the blotchy skin.
When you take aloe vera gel and apply on skin patches, it will reduce the redness, inflammation and swelling, and thanks to the anti-inflammatory properties present in aloe vera. Aloe vera also provide moisture to the skin that prevents skin dryness or anything related to sunburns.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently. (ii) Cotton ball – clean one.
People also have accepted green tea as one of the effective remedies to treat inflammation; hence it is also working on red blotchy skin patches. Anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in green tea help banish the redness and swelling of the skin that becomes one of the reasons of blotchy skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Green tea – sufficiently. (ii) Warm water – one cup. (iii) Rice flour/Oatmeal – one tablespoon.
Note » You can consume a warm cup of green tea on a regular basis to get the benefits internally.
If your skin rash caused by a buildup of dead skin cells, then the baking soda can be a proper solution for this case. A gentle exfoliation is required to get rid of the blotchy skin. Baking soda is a natural exfoliating agent that is useful to get rid of dead skin cells, restores the natural skin color and open up the clogged pores.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
Honey is rich in lots of essential minerals and a variety of vitamins needed to get healthy skin. It also has the ability to act as a natural moisturizer that is loaded with anti-oxidant properties to provide a soothing effect to the skin; thus it is very good for treating dry skin and get rid of the redness of the blotchy skin.
Honey also helps a lot in locking skin moisture, as one of the requirements to get a glowing and soft skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw honey – sufficiently. (iii) Olive oil – sufficiently.
Essential oils can heal blotchy skin caused by post-inflammatory hyper pigmentation (PIH). Essential oils are loaded with powerful antioxidants and cell regenerative properties that are useful to treat blotchy skin patches.
To diminish blotchy skin as a result of post-inflammatory, you can come up with some essential oils such as sandalwood, geranium, frankincense, carrot seeds, lavender, chamomile cape and rose oil.
Ingredients you need: (i) Essentials oils – (Lavender, Chamomile) sufficiently.
Note » Perform a patch test prior application to avoid skin irritation.
Additional Tips for People with Blotchy Skin
Getting healthy and glowing skin is not an overnight job, you need a healthy set of processes as part of a healthy lifestyle every day.
Primarily, nutritious food intake can have a significant effect for your skin. Besides, how you take care of the skin also contribute greatly to the condition of your skin. Here are some additional tips for those of you who want to have soft and healthy skin.
- Consume Omega-3 Fatty Acids
- Reduce Intake of Carbohydrates
- Apply Sunscreen
- Perform Exercise Regularly
- Regular Skin Treatment
- Increase Fluid Intake
Hormonal balance is needed to make the cells in the body to work properly; you can get it by adding a high dietary intake of omega-3 fatty acids. You can obtain them mainly in meat and salmon or other fish species. Meat and fish help you revitalize the skin and create the skin agelessly.
Carbohydrates such as rice and wheat and its derivatives can increase the hormone insulin amount in the body, which in turn interfere with the body’s metabolic system. Carbohydrates also increase the accumulation of fat in the body; it also inhibits the regeneration of skin cells. Thus it is important to reduce the intake of carbohydrates to get a glowing and soft skin.
Sunscreen is necessary when you are often exposed to UVA and UVB rays from the sun. Take sunscreen with SPF 30 and apply 20 minutes before leaving the room. It can prevent you from sunburn and the formation of red patches.
Regular exercise can help you to avoid stress and improve blood circulation. Stress can lead to dehydration, dull and blotchy skin.
You can run a skin care by taking cosmetic products wisely, also conducts regular skin exfoliation process at least once a week to get rid of the buildup of dead skin cells which is the reason behind the dull and blotchy skin.
You must be aware that our bodies are composed of 75% water, thus drink plenty of fluids to hydrate the skin and helps fight skin disorders that may exist. However, avoid carbonated or other sugary beverages, because it can aggravate the skin condition.
Therefore taking important nutrients and running one of the home remedies is a quick way to get rid of blotchy skin. However, if the blotchy skin patches occur due to more serious reasons, you should consult a dermatologist.