Artificial hair dyes have been widely used, in particular by the older generation to disguise their gray hair. Hair dye is a quick and easy way to change the look of the hair, either young or old, all of them love this procedure when it comes to change hair looks.
Hair dying is an act of cosmetics that have a variety of purposes such as fashion by changing hair color deliberately, disguise gray hair and restore natural color due to hairdressing such as bleaching. Some people entrust hair coloring procedure at their favorite salon, but also many individuals prefer to dye their hair at home because of many hair dye products floating around in the market these days.
By doing the hair coloring at home, ones have saved a lot of time and money; they can choose their favorite colors among many choices of hair dye and apply it to their hair. However, have you ever noticed that the hair dye that you find in the market is made up of most of the harmful chemicals? Yes, this is the other side of the happy news that you can have with your new hair appearance.
Some people are very susceptible to hair dye ingredients, which leads to allergies or other health problems. Pregnant and lactating women are the ones who should avoid the use of hair dyes for their own good.
In a study by the Public Health Reports in 2005 indicated that the use of hair dye continuously could increase the risk of bladder cancer as well as potentially weaken the hair and cause hair damage. Whereas for people who are intolerant of gluten, the use of hair dyes can be detrimental to them because some dyes can cause allergic reactions due to the content of gluten in it.
How to Dye Your Hair Naturally
The use of natural products free of chemical additives is an easy way to prevent problems that can invade a person’s health. Here are some natural ways to dye your hair and get the hair color that you want.
Coffee Hair Dye
Coffee is a brewed beverage derived from the mashed roasted coffee beans, and lots of people loved the coffee, as their relaxing companion. Coffee is also widely applied as a natural ingredient for beauty care, coffee contains tannin, in which it is a molecule that causes the coffee has a black color and is rich in caffeine.
The use of coffee to dye your hair is highly advised, because the content of tannin in coffee may transfer some of the colors to your hair and make your hair darker. For those who have brown hair, coffee is a perfect solution to darken the color of the hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coffee powder – sufficiently. (ii) Water – two cups. (iii) Shower cap – one.
- Boil the two cups of water in a medium saucepan and add five tablespoons of coffee powder and mix evenly.
- Allowing the coffee to cool down completely so that it does not hurt your scalp when doing the coloring.
- Rinse your hair with the cold water as normally, and apply the coffee as a final rinse.
- Gently massage your scalp and allow it to stay for 30 minutes, do not forget to cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Rinse your hair with cold water and repeat this procedure at least once a week.
Henna Hair Dye
Over the years, the whole culture of many parts of the world have been using henna as a natural hair coloring agent, in addition to secure, it is a most potent hair dye known by many humans. Henna contains natural pigments, in which when it applied to the hair; it provides a very natural tone to the hair without causing any damage.
Accordingly, you can choose a variety of colors such as red, orange or dark burgundy to your hair without any fear of side effects. It is also known to be rich in essential nutrients for the hair, making it as a great conditioner to keep hair hydrated, shiny and manageable.
Ingredients you need: (i) Henna powder – 200 grams. (ii) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (iii) Coconut milk – sufficiently.
- Pour the henna powder into a medium bowl, add a cup of coconut milk and two tablespoons of lemon juice.
- Stir the mixture to form a thick paste and coat the bowl with plastic wrap. Allow it to stay overnight at room temperature.
- Coat your hair with henna thoroughly, use gloves to avoid finger from coloring, and wrap your hair with a shower cap.
- Wait for six hours or overnight, and rinse thoroughly with cold water afterward. Avoid using shampoo for the next 32 hours.
Note » If the scalp is too oily, use water instead of coconut milk. If the scalp is too dry, add ¼ olive oil into the mixture. You may also use apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice. And if you do not like the smell of henna, you may add 1 to 3 teaspoons of cloves, cinnamon or ginger.
Walnut Powder for Hair Rinse
Another way to get a natural hair color is by application of walnut powder on your hair. Walnuts contain tannin, plumbagin, and juglone in which all the substances work to provide a brownish color when it used as a hair rinse.
Ingredients you need: (i) Black walnut powder – sufficiently. (ii) Hot water – two cups.
- Boil two cups of water in a saucepan and add 6 to 10 tablespoons powdered black walnut hulls.
- Allow it to steep for about an hour. Rinse your hair with cold water and use the solution for a final rinse for your hair.
- Wait about 20 minutes and rinse your hair with cold water afterward. Repeat the rinsing process three times a week.
Coconut Oil and Honey
Honey is known for its rich natural content of hydrogen peroxide, in which it is a substance that plays an active role as a hair lightening agent. When honey is applied to the hair, its lightening properties will help brighten your hair. While coconut oil mixed simultaneously with honey, can push lightening properties of honey to work more efficiently and quickly.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw honey – ½ cup. (ii) Coconut oil – ½ cup.
- Simply mix the honey and coconut oil in a small bowl. Stir this solution.
- Apply the solution evenly on your hair and leave for about 30 minutes. Rinse off with warm water followed by a natural conditioner.
- Repeat this process three times a week, and for best results, you can see the difference in the next few weeks.
Chamomile tea is very popular among enthusiasts of tea drinks, as it contains a remarkable efficacy for treating various health problems. It also can be applied to various beauty needs, one of them is a natural bleach and hair lightening agent.
For those who have blonde or light brown hair, chamomile tea is the right choice when it comes to lowering its natural tone, as it is very effective in bringing out the blonde color and highlights.
Ingredients you need: (i) Chamomile tea – six bags. (ii) Water – two cups. (iii) Lemon juice – sufficiently.
- Make chamomile tea, by boiling two cups of water and put six bags of tea into it. Allow it to cool completely and apply the tea solution on your hair evenly.
- You may add ½ cup of lemon juice to get the more clearly results or getting highlights.
- Wait for about 30 minutes and rinse with warm water followed by cold water afterward.
- Perform this process for three times a week to get the difference results.
- How to Lighten Dark Hair Without Bleach Naturally
- How to Get Rid of Gray Hair Naturally and Permanently
- How to Have a Beautiful Shiny Hair Fast Naturally at Home
That was some natural ways to dye your hair. The use of hair dyes made from natural ingredients is strongly advised to avoid the adverse effects of chemicals, in particular for those who have a tendency to produce long-term side effects.