Having an earache can be a very painful situation that anyone can have, and anyone can develop this condition regardless of their age, for those who have ever had it, they certainly realize how painful and tormenting the condition can be. Either child, adolescents, even adults, they can all have the potential to develop an often torturous earache.
Whilst anyone can suffer from an earache, yet children are the most prevalent individuals that may suffer from such condition rather than teenagers and adults.
The plausible reason is that children is more susceptible to germs, colds, and infections, while at the same time they are in the process of developing the immune system.
Ear pain can be constant; it also could be subsiding or increase in some period of time, some of which are accompanied by symptoms such as burning and throbbing sensations.
Earache is a painful condition which may occur mostly due to fluid buildup in the middle ear, and infections caused by germs and microbes, which in turn resulted in swelling in any part of the ear.
You need a proper way to get rid of an earache, either for you or your loved ones, one of them is by getting certain home remedies for earache which may provide earache relief fast.
In fact, this earache home remedy may wipe off the pop-up question about what to do for an earache from your mind, as they work quickly to relieve the accompanying symptoms as well.
- What Causes Earaches?
- The Earache Symptoms
- Natural Home Remedies for Earaches That Work Effectively
- Additional Useful Tips for Preventive Measures
What Causes Earaches?
Infections are the common cause of an earache, however we also still need to find out the other underlying causes to determine the appropriate earache remedies. You may find several types of ear pain medically.
The first is “Otitis media” ; it occurs due to the infection in the middle of the ear, while the second term is “Otitis Externa”  also known as swimmer’s ear, which occurs due to an infection found on the outer part of the ear.
Swelling of the tympanic membrane (eardrum) may also lead to an earache; it often referred to as “Myringitis”  medically. These three types of ear pain determine the difference of earaches in children and adults, furthermore, here’s the details.
- Allergies: Allergic responses to the respiratory system can lead to an earache. Allergies can cause blockage in the sinus cavity, whereas sinus and ear are connected, which in turn causes pain inside your ears.
- Ear canal infections: Any infection that occurs in the ear canal leads to an earache, and bacteria are the common reason for such infection.
- Common colds: It is also a common cause of an earache.
- Throat infections: Infections of the throat and upper respiratory tract also become one of the reasons of an ear pain. It occurs as the throat and ears are connected and affecting each other.
- Eustachian tubes inflammation: Eustachian tube or otherwise known as a Pharyngotoous tube or auditory tube which connects the middle ear to the Nasopharynx. In certain cases, this area can have a swollen; thus it may lead to an ear pain.
- Passive smoking: Being a passive smoker is not merely bad for your health, as it can lead to ear pain as well, it occurs due to an allergy to cigarette smoke or even infections as a result of inhaling the unexpected smoking.
- Abnormal ear or head structure: Any abnormalities especially those that occur in the structure of the ear or head can cause ear pain. It requires certain medical actions to treat it.
- Buildup of earwax: The ears need earwax to lubricate the ear canal, which is good for ear health. However, when there is an accumulation of earwax, it can reduce hearing and in more severe conditions leading to an earache.
- Excess moisture in the ears: It occurs because the ears get much water as a result of bathing or swimming. Moisture to the ears can cause infection and lead to earaches eventually.
- Outer ear canal infections: This undoubtedly certainly causes an ear pain, as any infections can affect many things on the ear structure as well as the head.
- Throat infections and common colds: Throat and nasal infections, as well as common colds, become the common cause of an earache, because they are interrelated.
- Outer ear canal injury: People sometimes give a bad treat to their ears, by giving injury to the ears as a result of the use of an unrecommended cleaner such as cotton buds.
- Injury to the jawbone: Injuries that appear in the jawbone, including arthritis, can potentially cause an earache.
- Tooth decay: If you suffer from a toothache, there is a possibility that you are likely to have an earache. The pain caused by tooth decay can spread to the ear. It happens because of a dental abscess caused by a bacterial infection causing severe pain in the teeth, gums and even ears.
- Blockage of ear tube: Any blockage that occurs in the ear canal could potentially cause an earache.
- Eardrum injury: This injury appears as a result of any trauma impacted by the ears, such as puncture while ear cleaning, leading to an earache.
- Eardrum inflammation: Swelling generally occurs due to infection, as well as swelling of the eardrum. Which ultimately causes an earache.
- Ruptured eardrum: This condition must cause a painful earache. It requires medical treatment to cure it.
- Eardrum blisters: Blisters on any part of the body can lead to any pain, including blisters on the eardrum, which certainly results in an ear pain.
Other Possible Causes of Earaches
Ear pain can also be caused by some external factors involved, for example.
- Air pressure changes: Changes in air pressure occur due to sudden changes in altitude when flying, scuba diving, and driving in the mountains. All of these activities affect the difference in air pressure inside and outside of the eardrum. This condition causes discomfort in the ear or pain in one or both ears.
- Foreign object gets stuck in the ear: In certain environments, your ears can get foreign objects like insects, in which when it enters to the ear canal, it may cause an earache.
Now you already know either an earache or the reasons behind the emergence of it which can be several. The pain out of the ears can produce different symptoms as well.
The Earache Symptoms
If the earache is a major problem, either for you or your family member at this time, you need to identify the accompanying symptoms as well. The purpose is that if you encounter any of the following symptoms, you immediately know the proper treatment for your earache. Symptoms of earache may be vary, but all of them lead to discomfort resulting from irritated pain.
Symptoms of Otitis Media and Otitis Externa
- The possibility of having a high fever.
- Loss of hearing function.
- Children with earaches may suffer from loss of sleep and appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and irritability.
- Experiencing chronic pain, swelling and itching in the ear canal.
- Bleeding and blockage in the ear canal.
- They may be rubbing, pulling, or tugging at the ear.
- Other symptoms include stiff neck, fatigue, buzzing, and balance problems.
Symptoms of Myringitis
- They may suffer from a fever.
- Experience hear-loss.
- Discharge of blood out of ear canal.
The earache symptoms in adults are quite similar, only they may suffer the pain in sharp, dull and throbbing.
Natural Home Remedies for Earaches That Work Effectively
The consideration for applying the home remedy for earache is based on the fact that most earaches are commonly harmless (unless there are injuries to the eardrums). Therefore, there is no need to rush to the doctor for earache remedy in the first place.
All you need to do to get rid of an earache is to grab home remedies to relieve the pain. Especially if an earache occurs due to swelling and infection, there are many simple home remedies to control the symptoms accompanying. Here are a few of them to provide instant relief.
Garlic to Relieve Earache
- Simply crush two garlic cloves and wait for 10 minutes to produce the antimicrobial properties of Allicin (the compound responsible for treating fungal infection).
- Add two tablespoons of sesame oil to the garlic extract. Place the two ingredients in a pan and warm it in low heat temperature for 10 minutes.
- Allow the mixture to gain a room temperature, and strain the oil afterwards. Pour a few drops of the oil into the ear canal and leave it for a few minutes to allow the oil to kill off the infectious germs, as well as reduce the pain.
- Drain the oil out of the ear and repeat the treatment twice a day. You can also apply some garlic juice without the sesame oil involved.
Olive Oil to Relieve Earache
- Prepare some olive oil and warm it in low temperature for a few minutes.
- Once it reaches the lukewarm temperature, pour a few drops of olive oil into the ear canal, use a dropper to facilitate the treatment.
- Allow the oil to stay inside the ear for a few minutes, and drain the oil out of the ear afterwards.
- Repeat this process twice a day for as long as it takes; olive oil also works in eliminating buzzing due to an earache.
- In case you have trouble in getting olive oil, use coconut or mustard oil instead.
Onion to Relieve Earache
- Grate some cloves of onion and extract the juice. Warm the juice over low heat for a few minutes.
- Put a few drops of onion juice to the infected ear. Repeat this treatment 2-3 times a day until your earache subsides.
- You can also crush some onion and wrap with a clean cloth. Hold the cloth over the infected ear and leave for about 5-10 minutes. Repeat the process for two times a day.
Warm Compress to Relieve Earache
- Prepare a clean cloth and soak it in hot water (not boiling) and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the cloth on the affected area of an earache and leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Repeat the compress on the ear area whenever necessary to speed up the pain to subside.
Apple Cider Vinegar to Relieve Earache
- Simply take some apple cider vinegar and mix with the same amount of water.
- Warm the mixture using low heat, but do not overheat.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture, and plug it into the infected ear. Lie on your side to allow the vinegar to eradicate the infection. Repeat this process several times a day to get relief from an earache.
- You can also mix some vinegar and rubbing alcohol. Place 2-3 drops of this mixture on the ear canal.
- Leave for about 3 minutes and drain from your ears. Repeat at least 2-3 times a day for several days.
Basil to Relieve Earache
- Take a few leaves of basil and crushed to extract its juice. Pour at least two drops of basil juice into the ear canal to soothe the pain in the ear due to infection. Repeat once or twice a day.
- You can also mix a few drops of basil oil and a tablespoon of olive or coconut oil.
- Apply this mixture around the ear where there is an infection. Use the aid of a cotton ball and be careful when applying on the inside of the ear.
- Repeat this process twice a day to get rid of an earache and promote faster healing.
Steam Inhalation to Relieve Earache
- Prepare some water and boil it in a pan. Pour a few drops of your favorite essential oils, such as eucalyptus oil, into the boiling water.
- Face your nose toward the steam, and inhale the steam by drawing your breath deeply. Don’t forget to cover up your head with a clean towel.
- Perform the steam inhalation for a while until you get relief from discomfort due to an earache.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times a day according to your needs.
Peppermint to Relieve Earache
- Make a mixture of one drop of peppermint oil and 5 drops of olive oil. Put this mixture into the ear canal with the help of ear syringe. Repeat this process once a day.
- Crush some peppermint leaves to extract its juice. Put a few drops of the juice into your ear, use the help of a dropper. Repeat several times a day.
- You can also apply some peppermint oil around the outer area of the ear. Add some olive oil to dilute the peppermint oil.
Bishop’s Weed to Relieve Earache
- Mix one teaspoon of bishop’s weed oils and 3 teaspoons of sesame oil. Warm the mixture slightly.
- Put a few drops of this mixture to the affected ear. Repeat this process regularly at least once a day.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of mustard oil, mix with a teaspoon of bishop’s weed oil, plus some garlic flakes. Wait until the garlic turns red and strain the mixture afterwards.
- Put a few drops of the mixture into the aching ear, repeat regularly.
- The final option is to boil ½ teaspoon of bishop’s weed seeds mixed with a cup of milk. Strain the solution afterwards and use it as an ear drop to relieve congestion and earache.
Ginger to Relieve Earache
- Take some fresh ginger cloves and crush them to extract the juice. Put a few drops of ginger juice into the earache area for quick relief. Repeat twice a day.
- Mix also ¼ cup of warmed sesame oil and a tablespoon of freshly grated ginger. Allow it to cool and apply to the outer area of your ear. Repeat the treatment according to your needs.
Garlic is an easy home remedy that you can find in the first place to get rid of an earache that you probably have. It provides quick relief from an earache, thus, thanks to the potent analgesics and antibiotic properties present in garlic.
A positive study published by Letters in Applied Microbiology indicates that garlic is one of the natural ways to enhance the immune system. The extracts which taken from garlic act as a great natural antimicrobial, hence it is very effective to get rid of an earache due to fungal infection in the ear canal.
Earwax buildup can result in an infection that leads to ear pain. To alleviate this condition, you can come up with a few drops of olive oil as a quick relief to get rid of an earache.
Olive oil acts as a natural lubricant agent that helps soften the buildup of earwax and open up the clogged ears naturally, as well as soothing any infections in the ear canal.
It has been used to treat an earache for hundreds of years, certainly, now you can take the benefits of olive oil to get rid of an earache with the same result.
Onion is a common term for a group of plants belonging to the genus Allium. Many house wives always keep the onions in their home kitchen, and fortunately, it is one of the effective home remedies to get rid of an earache.
It is rich in potent antiseptic and antibacterial properties, which works effectively in treating earaches as a result of infection and swelling that occurs during the ear pain.
Warm compress provides a great relief when it comes to any illness, including one with an earache. It is the easiest and cheapest home remedy to get rid of an earache, because warm compresses act as a great pain reliever.
The warmth of the compress promotes blood flow to the ear and reduce the swelling that occurs, and ultimately reduce the pain. It also helps reduce the ear pain due to common colds.
One of the natural remedies you can choose when dealing with the discomfort caused by an earache is by taking apple cider vinegar (ACV) into the medication.
A journal published by Medscape General Medicine reported that apple cider vinegar contains enough Acetic Acid that works for balancing pH levels, relieving itching and pain in the ears. It helps cure the infection, get rid of an earache and reduce the inflammation that may arise.
Note » You allow to apply white vinegar instead, with the similar result.
Injury or infection in the middle ear is one of the causes of ear pain; thus you can come up with basil when dealing with such discomfort. Extract from basil leaves contains anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, in which when applied to the affected area, it can cure the possible infections.
In addition, the analgesic properties present in basil, relieve the pain due to an earache. Because of all of its medicinal properties, making the basil as an excellent remedy for the case of Otitis Media. You can also use basil oil for the purpose of getting rid of an earache.
One common cause of an earache is the occurrence of a blockage in the respiratory tract, as a result of any infection and inflammation, even in the Eustachian tube. In addition, fluid accumulation in the nose and ear canal has the potential to cause an earache.
In this case, you can take advantage of steam inhalation to get rid of an earache due to blockage. Steam inhalation is a fast and easy way to clean up the respiratory tract that causes an earache. However, to add medicinal properties, you can take one of the essential oils and add it to the steam solution.
For instance; lemongrass, rosemary, peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender and cinnamon oil are some examples of essential oils that contains antiseptic properties that are useful for treating any infections in the throat, nose, sinuses, and ears.
Peppermint (either in the form of leaves or oil) both have great medicinal properties to relieve any pain. It contains anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, and mild anesthetic properties that promote the healing process of infections and inflammation that lead to an earache. It also acts as a soothing agent, which reduces the discomfort due to ear pain.
Note » Some people develop a sensitivity toward peppermint oil, thus mix with extra olive oil to reduce its side effect.
Bishop’s weed or referred to as Ajwain, has antiseptic and antimicrobial properties that useful effectively to get rid of an earache as a result of infection in the ear canal. It also provides fast relief from the discomfort due to the ear pain, as it contains a sufficient amount of pain killing properties.
Note » You may also use Bishop’s weed oil with no additional ingredients to get rid of an earache.
Involving ginger in any healing process of the pain is the right choice, including to get rid of an earache. The reason is that this herb plant works as a natural painkiller that is useful to reduce pain due to an earache. Ginger also contains anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful in promoting the healing process of an ear infection.
Each of the above home remedies relies on natural ingredients that contain natural anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and antiseptic properties, some of which also equipped with pain killer properties that make those home remedies area quite effective to get rid of an earache and the accompanying symptoms.
Additional Useful Tips for Preventive Measures
In spite of all these home remedies for an earache that you already know, you should also take some tips for precautions to keep your ears away from any infections and inflammation that may occur later. Here are a few of them.
Apply Mineral Oil
Dry Out Your Ears
Cover Your Ears
Increase Vitamin Intake
Chewing Gum or Candy
If swimming is one of your hobbies, you should apply some mineral oil in both of your ears that aims to prevent infection to occur.
Smoking, either passive or active, increases the potential for an earache. So you should reduce or even avoid smoking, also stay away from excessive alcohol consumption.
It is imperative to dry your ears once you have bathing or swimming to prevent ear infections. Use a hairdryer to dry your ears at low settings, use no more than five minutes.
If you have a plan to go outdoor, always wear an ear protector like a scarf. It aims to prevent the invasion of dust, wind, and pollen that can cause allergies and increase the risk of an earache.
Eating foods containing some essential vitamins such as A, C and E may improve the immune system and reduce the risk of the occurrence of an earache due to flu and other allergies. You can take this type of food from fresh fruits or vegetables, also remember to increase protein intake from meat.
Chewing gum or candy can increase the activity of the mouth, especially your jaw. It is useful to prevent an earache caused by pressure changes while on the plane. Chewing may open up the Eustachian tube that activates the muscles to equalize the pressure between the inner and outer ear.
Most of these home remedies have been proven to get rid of an earache effectively. However, when you see the symptoms persist or get worse, you should consider seeing a doctor, especially if you encounter any of the following symptoms.
- If you encounter a severe earache accompanied by dizziness and hearing loss.
- A child has a high fever, stiff neck and a severe ear infection, certainly accompanied by an earache.
- If you notice swelling and redness behind the ear.
- If you notice the bloody pus or an object stuck in the ear.
- How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose Fast
- Speedy Home Remedies for a Cold and Cough
- How to Relieve Baby Stuffy Nose in 7 Natural Ways
- Effective Home Remedies for Sinus Infection and Sore Throat
Ear pain is excruciating, and no one wants to deal with it. Thus, using one solution of the home remedies can reduce discomfort due to an earache. Remember, never insert foreign objects into your ears.