Nobody ever wanted to have a sweaty armpit with a pungent odor. Underarm odor is not a new problem for some people, though not dangerous, yet its appearance is very undesirable because it may lead to a low self-esteem. Someone who is standing next to one which has armpit odor, are likely to feel uncomfortable due to the body odor coming from the armpit.
Having armpit odor certainly very embarrassing that preclude some people to hang out with their friends. If you have armpit odor, you are not alone. Some people, probably teenagers whom wits to get rid of underarm odor and finding effective solutions for the long-term. Well, you came here to get a solution of armpit odor you might have, let’s find out more.
What Causes of Armpit Odor?
Maybe you’ve ever heard that excessive sweat production, may result in the armpits and body odor. However, this statement is not entirely true, why? No matter how much the sweat that comes out of your body, it will not cause a bad odor unless your skin is the place for the growth of bacteria.
Lots of sweating can result in the buildup of bacteria, in which the bacteria utilize the sweat to multiply and break down the keratin (a type of protein on the skin surface). Intense activity of these bacteria can lead to underarm odor eventually.
Excessive sweating mostly occurs as a result of the activity of the glands and hormones; hence most teenagers are suffering from underarm odor because their hormonal is undergoing changes. However there are also some other causes that trigger the appearance of armpit odor, they include: certain medications effect, consuming spicy food, wearing tight clothes, dehydration, stress and tension, alcohol intake, running a poor diet, hot weather and over exercises.
The more you realize that the sweat is the place where bacteria can proliferate, and considering that sweating is a result of the physiological response of the body, then we must find the best way to get rid of armpit odor without leaving any further problems.
How to Get Rid of Armpit Odor Naturally
Applying the deodorant is a quick solution to get rid of armpit odor, but this is a temporary solution, why? Sometimes after applying a deodorant, the bad odor coming from the armpit does not go away.
It requires more than just a quick treatment, and here we can come up with some home remedies to get rid of underarm odor efficiently without any side effects.
Apple Cider Vinegar (APV) for Armpit Odor
The most effective way to kill bacteria that cause armpit odor is to create an acidic environment that makes impossible for the bacteria to survive.
Vinegar is a dense liquid that is capable of creating acidic conditions on the surface of the skin because the antibacterial properties present in vinegar inhibits the growth of bacteria that cause armpit odor.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Cotton ball – a few pieces.
- Pour some vinegar into a cotton ball and apply on your armpit after having a shower, it will reduce skin pH and eliminate underarm odor eventually.
- Prepare ½ cup of apple cider vinegar and ¾ cup of fresh water, mix the two ingredients and apply it in the armpit with the help of a cotton ball.
- Leave for a few minutes and wash with soap, followed by a moisturizer application.
- You can also put a mixture of vinegar and water into a spray bottle, use it as a deodorant after bathing.
Note » Remember, never apply vinegar when there are cuts or after shaving the armpit, because it can cause skin irritation. Perform patching test before application.
Baking Soda for Armpit Odor
Rubbing baking soda under the armpit can help eliminate bad odors that might come out from the armpit. Thus, it became a great ally to control any odors that you send out and disturbing the environment.
It works by neutralizing the pH of sweat, making it difficult for bacteria to grow up. Besides, baking soda also helps remove dirt and dark armpits simultaneously, as it is a great exfoliator agent to remove any dark skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Lemon juice – sufficiently.
- Pour two tablespoons of baking soda with four tablespoons of water and stir well to form a paste, then rub the paste under the armpits.
- You can also pour a few drops of tea tree oil for a better aroma. Leave for at least 20 minutes and rinse with cold water afterward.
- Alternatively, take lemon juice instead of water and apply under the armpit in the same way.
- The last choice is by mixing up some cornstarch and baking soda, rub the area below the armpits. Leave for a few minutes then rinse with water.
Note » Follow the remedies every day and get the clean underarms and free of bad odor.
Lemon Juice for Armpit Odor
Lemon works as an ideal healing agent and able to control the underarm odor causing bacteria effectively. The acidic properties present in lemon becomes a great ally for kill bacteria by neutralizing the pH of the skin, and clean up the sweat on the affected area. This condition makes it difficult for bacteria to grow further.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Squeeze the juice out of a few fresh lemon, apply it on your armpits directly, use a cotton ball for assistance.
- Alternatively, you can dilute some lemon juice with water, place the juice into a spray bottle and apply lemon juice after bathing.
- Make sure to let the juice dries up and rinse with water, avoid sun exposure.
- Repeat this treatment every day until the underarm odor gone permanently.
Sage for Armpit Odor
Sage is a traditional medicine which widely used to address the underarm odor. It works effectively on the sweat glands, which inhibits the production of excessive sweating.
Sage is also able to create an acidic environment because the tannic acid present in sage is useful inhibiting the growth of bacteria that cause armpit odor.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sage leaves – a few pieces. (ii) Tomato juice – sufficiently.
- Place some dried sage leaves on your armpits and allow it to stay for about 10 minutes. Sage will absorb sweat and leave a pleasant odor.
- Alternatively, mix some leaves of sage and tomato juice to taste, apply on your armpit and leave for a few minutes then rinse with water. It works as an effective deodorant.
- Prepare and drinking sage tea daily to help in the treatment internally.
Lavender Oil for Armpit Odor
The existence of essential oils is very helpful in overcoming a variety of skin problems. Moreover, the wonderful aroma emanating from the essential oil is very useful for eliminate bad odor coming out of the armpit.
Lavender oil is one of the essential oils that widely used for this purpose, anti-fungal properties present in lavender can eradicate the bacteria that cause underarm odor effectively.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lavender oil – a few drops. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Cotton ball – a few pieces.
- Simply rub a few drops of lavender oil on your armpits for a fast remedy to get rid of the armpit odor.
- Alternatively, mix a cup of warm water and a few drops of lavender oil, soak a cotton ball and apply on the armpit.
- You can also place the mixture into a spray bottle and apply on the armpit after bathing.
- Make sure you are free from lavender oil allergic, otherwise use the other treatments.
Aloe Vera for Armpit Odor
Aloe vera is a natural herb that gives a myriad of health benefits either internally or externally. It is also helpful to control excess sweating and regulate the pH level of the skin, therefore it is appropriate to treat this condition.
While the antiseptic properties present in aloe vera able to eradicate the bacteria that cause underarm odor effectively.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Take some aloe leaves and cut into several pieces. Apply the gel under the armpits evenly and leave for 15 minutes then rinse with water.
- You can also mix aloe juice and water, put the mixture into a spray bottle. Apply it after bathing as a natural deodorant.
- Remember, avoid sun exposure after application to prevent stains on the skin.
Witch Hazel for Armpit Odor
Witch hazel contains strong antibacterial properties, thereby applying it in the armpit can kill bacteria that cause the armpit odor and help get rid of underarm odor naturally.
It also acts as a natural cleanser that sweeps all the impurities and dark that may arise in the armpit. Besides, astringent properties present in witch hazel helps shrink the skin pores and reduce the production of sweat.
Ingredients you need: (i) Witch hazel – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Cotton ball – clean ones.
- Prepare a cup of witch hazel and dip a cotton ball into the solution. Apply the solution on your armpits every time the bad odor smelled.
- You can also place the witch hazel into a spray bottle, and add some water. Use the mixture as a deodorant every time you finish a shower.
- Follow this treatment every day, and allowing the witch hazel as a natural antiperspirant to get rid of underarm odor.
Tea Tree Oil for Armpit Odor
Choosing tea tree oil to treat bad odor is an efficient way to get rid of underarm odor. Because like any other home remedy, tea tree oil is also rich in antibacterial properties that inhibit the growth of unwanted bacteria causes of underarm odor.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – a few drops. (ii) Water – one cup. (iii) Cotton ball – a few pieces.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil into a cup of water. Soak a cotton ball and apply the solution on your armpits.
- You may also enter the solution into a spray bottle and use it as a deodorant once every shower.
- Repeat this treatment at least once every day until the armpit, free of bad odor.
Wheatgrass Juice for Armpit Odor
Wheatgrass is rich in chlorophyll which helps to combat the bad odor that comes from the armpit in different ways. You can take the benefits of wheatgrass to get rid of underarm odor by drinking wheat grass juice or drinking the wheatgrass soaking water regularly.
Ingredients you need: (i) Wheatgrass – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Take some wheatgrass and soak in a cup of lukewarm water overnight. Drink this solution every morning regularly to eliminate underarm odor.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of wheatgrass juice into ¾ cup of water. Mix evenly and drink the juice regularly, increase the dose of juice as time passed.
Sandalwood Powder for Armpit Odor
Sandalwood powder is known for having a soothing aroma for relaxing your body. This pleasant aroma is a reliable way to get rid of underarm odor naturally. You can apply sandalwood powder to your armpits in paste form, here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sandalwood powder – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) White vinegar – sufficiently.
- Mix the sandalwood powder and sufficient water to form a smooth paste. Apply the paste on your armpits and allow it to dry. Rinse with water afterward.
- You can also mix white vinegar and sandalwood powder adequately, stir well and apply on your armpits after having a shower. It may act as an effective deodorant.
- Repeat this treatment every day for a few days to eliminate your armpits odor permanently.
Note » You may also use turmeric powder instead of sandalwood powder and obtain the similar result.
Some Additional Tips to Remove Armpit Odor
Here we have summarized some additional tips that are useful in getting rid of unpleasant underarm odor. You can apply them along with a home remedy of your choice. Yes you are right, they are associated with personal hygiene.
Washing Underarm Completely
Perform Armpit Shaving
Taking a shower is an important ritual to cleanse the skin, incomplete washing can leave traces of deodorant or soap that leads to underarm odor.
Therefore, it is imperative to rinse off the area, after a shower. You can also wash your body with the help of anti-bacterial soap because it can kill germs that cause underarm odor.
Armpits hair potentially increase the growth of bacteria; therefore you are not enough just to apply anti-bacterial soap while still maintaining underarm hair to grow.
Underarm hairs create shelters for the bacteria, so even though the washing has been done, the bacteria remain in the armpit. The best way is to shave the armpits and keep it stay clean
Deodorant is a quick solution to get rid of the underarm odor; therefore many people chose this way to solve their problems. However, deodorant is a temporary solution, because it will never eliminate bad odor permanently.
Some of the deodorants containing antiperspirants that could potentially block the production of sweat and cause further problems. Therefore, always wash your armpits thoroughly when taking a shower.
You should visit a doctor in case of underarm odor when all the home remedies fail to treat your condition. There is a possibility that the armpit odor occurs as a result of certain diseases. People with kidney and liver problems were found to have a strong underarm odor that cannot be healed with home remedies. So stay clean!