Your back is one of the favorite places for acne to grow, you might also notice their appearance when taking a shower in the morning. Most people thought that acne is simply pimples, which they can take in various forms such as whiteheads, blackheads, pustules, nodules, papules and cysts, as well as those are found only on the face.
However, we can come across acne, not only in the face, which means some specific areas such as the back, buttocks, forehead, chest, neck, upper arms, and shoulders are fertile ground for acne as well. Back acne can give a sense of discomfort throughout the day; their appearance also makes you have difficulty in sleeping.
Unfortunately, you will also find difficulty in seeing the severity of your back acne. Therefore, it will slow down the healing process. Back acne is actually a common problem for teenagers who already have puberty until the age of 30 years.
Women have a tendency to get acne on the face, while men are falling in victims by having acne on back. Just like acne on face, acne on back occurs due to bacteria and excess production of sebum on the skin pores of the back, and certainly, people who live in humid and hot weather has the more potential to develop acne than those who don’t.
- What Causes Back Acne
- How to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars Involving Natural Remedies
- More Useful Tips for Back Acne
What Causes Back Acne
The causes of back acne may come from certain reason such as the oil glands mainly located on the face, back, shoulders and buttocks. They can produce excess oil, and due to several particular reasons, it can trigger acne as well.
When you are suffering from acne, either on the face or your back, it is mainly caused by the following reasons.
- Clogged Skin Pores
- Skin Irritation
- Hormones Imbalance
- Sunlight Adverse Effects
The clogged pores can lead to acne breakouts, and it is mainly experienced by people with oily skin. Poor skin hygiene resulting in dirt and dead skin cells trapped on the surface of the skin and clog the pores, hence the bacteria begin to grow in the affected area and bring up the nodules or acne.
Skin irritation can trigger the appearance of acne, if you have a skin irritation, you may begin to develop whiteheads followed by an eruption and eventually the acne breakouts.
People with blackheads should give more attention to the skin hygiene because it is another form of acne that can cause skin disorders.
Back acne may occur due to hormonal imbalances, or genetic factors. Changes that occur in your body affects the activity of oil glands which if uncontrolled can lead to acne prone skin.
Enjoying the sun at the beach seems to be a good idea to give a good tan on your skin, but you should be aware that the heat from the sun can trigger excess oil production than usual, it may lead to back acne.
Once you aware of the back acne causes, you should also notice some symptoms accompanying. Just like the symptoms of other skin disorders, back acne can be accompanied by some specific symptoms such as red swelling, in which it is an early sign of back acne, it can be very painful and began to develop a head that will eventually dry out or burst, sense of painful that prevents people to lie down or sit comfortably and visible acne scars though acne has gone already.
How to Get Rid of Back Acne Scars Involving Natural Remedies
Leaving acne on back left untreated may lead to back acne scars, thus individuals with back acne can take a number of natural remedies to get rid of bumps on their backs, which means it should avoid any medication involved.
Natural remedies may act as effective back acne treatment without any side effects, it’s just that they do not necessarily work for some people because of the severity of back acne. Here’s a few home remedies for back acne that might give a huge relief.
- Honey for Back Acne
- For the purpose of getting rid of back acne, simply apply a bit of raw honey, or manuka honey and wait for approximately 15 minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly with warm water afterwards.
- You can also apply a tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon cinnamon, stir the mixture evenly and apply on the affected area.
- Wait for about 15 minutes and rinse with warm water afterwards, use this regimen at least once a day.
- Oatmeal for Back Acne
- Fairly mixing one tablespoon of oatmeal and water to form a smooth paste. Apply it on acne affected area.
- Make a circular motion around the skin on your back and leave it on for approximately 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water and repeat this procedure once or twice a week.
- You can also add honey to taste to improve the efficacy of treatment.
- Sea Salt for Back Acne
- Pour a cup of sea salt into your bathtub, and lay in it for approximately 30 minutes or more.
- Let all the toxins, escape from your body, and apply a moisturizer after you finish bathing.
- Repeat this treatment at least once a day for a week to get rid of acne on your back.
- Turmeric for Back Acne
- Add a little bit of sesame oil into one or two teaspoons of turmeric powder to create a paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area of acne on the back evenly. Leave for at least one hour.
- Rinse with warm water afterwards, and repeat this regimen once or twice a day.
- You can mix ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a glass of warm water, drink the mixture regularly to reduce pain and inflammation.
- Aloe Vera for Back Acne
- Take a leaf of aloe vera, and extract the gel. Apply the gel on the affected area and leave to dry. Repeat this treatment at least twice during the week.
- You can also add ½ teaspoon each of turmeric powder and raw honey, mixed with a teaspoon of one tablespoon of aloe vera gel.
- Mix evenly to form a smooth paste and apply on the affected area, leave for at least 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water.
- Repeat this process once a day to banish back acne.
- Mint Leaves for Back Acne
- Extract all the liquid by crushing a handful of mint leaves, add water to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the affected area and leave it for approximately 15 minutes. Wash thoroughly with cold water afterwards.
- Follow this treatment at least once a day for a few days to get rid of acne on your back.
- Tea Tree Oil for Back Acne
- Take one or two drops of tea tree oil with the help of a cotton ball. Apply very slowly on your back where acne develops.
- Allow it to stay for about 15 minutes and rinse with warm water on your back. Repeat daily until the back acne escape.
- You can also mix one teaspoon of honey and five drops of tea tree oil, apply the mixture on your back. Rinse with warm water following 15 minutes. Repeat this process every day.
- Nutmeg & Cinnamon for Back Acne
- Grab a bowl and place all ingredients consisting of one tablespoon each of cinnamon, nutmeg powder, and honey.
- Toss well to form a paste consistency and apply immediately on the affected area. Leave it on for at least 30 minutes.
- Rinse with cold water afterwards and pat dry your skin with a towel. Repeat this process twice a week.
- Green Tea for Back Acne
- Simply mix ¼ cup each of water and brewed green tea and dip a cotton ball into it.
- Dab a cotton ball on the affected area and leave for 10 minutes before rinsing with cold water. Repeat at least twice a day.
- You can drink a glass of green tea on a regular basis to support the healing of back acne from the inside.
- Another way is to apply a lotion containing extracts of green tea to cure acne.
- Baking Soda for Back Acne
- You certainly know how to make a paste of baking soda and water, simply mix the two ingredients and apply on the affected area.
- Leave for about 15 minutes and rinse with cold water. Pat your skin dry and repeat every two days.
- For acne that is not too severe, use the baking soda paste for twice a week.
Honey increase the humidity of acne affected area and make it calm. Honey is composed of natural sugars and several essential minerals and vitamins that have the ability to fight bacteria that cause acne also prevents infection in a single application.
This opinion is corroborated by a scientific journal of the Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine that honey can treat topical infections caused by antibiotic-resistant bacteria. In addition, honey is very efficient to relieve muscle fatigue. Incorporating honey into skin regimen can prevent breakouts wherever they are, including back acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw honey – sufficiently. (ii) Warm water – sufficiently. (iii) Cinnamon – ½ teaspoon.
Being an ideal treatment for sensitive skin, making oatmeal is excellent for treating back acne. It is a natural cleanser for the skin, in which it has the ability to absorb excess oil and clean the dirt in the pores of the reason of the formation of acne on the back. Oatmeal also acts as a natural antioxidant that overcomes some skin disorders such as eczema, poison ivy, etc.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oatmeal – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Honey – optional.
Sea salt is commonly used for overcome stress and improve health, it helps a lot in relieve tension and relaxes the mind.
Apparently, sea salt can also be used to treat skin disorders including back acne, as it contributes to dry out your skin, which in turn absorbs excess oil buildup in the skin which is the reason behind back acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sea salt – sufficiently. (ii) Warm water – one bathtub. (iii) Moisturizer – sufficiently.
Anti-bacterial properties contained in turmeric is very beneficial to kill the bacteria that cause acne (P. Acnes). It also indicates that turmeric is very suitable for treating back acne. A scientific study published in Chemical and Pharmaceutical Bulletin also proved that turmeric contains cur cumin compound that represents how antimicrobial activity and inhibit the acne causing bacteria.
Moreover, it also has anti-inflammatory properties that reduce pain and inflammation in one application. Turmeric also plays a major role in the skin’s pH balance which prevents the formation of acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Turmeric powder – sufficiently. (ii) Sesame oil – sufficiently.
Aloe vera is one of the natural substance easily available around the garden in your house. Nevertheless, it is also widely available in the beauty shop. Aloe vera has the ability to kill bacteria, including the bacteria that cause acne, it also reduces inflammation and accelerates the healing process.
Some of the capabilities of aloe indicate that it has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, antimicrobial as well anti-acne properties. A study also proved that aloe vera is very effective in treating acne vulgaris from mild to moderate.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera leaf – sufficiently. (ii) Raw honey – sufficiently. (iii) Turmeric powder – sufficiently.
Mint leaves have an amazing quality of treatment. It contains anti-inflammatory properties and has a strong aroma.
Experts typically use mint leaves in beauty products because the quality is excellent at soothing the skin. Additionally, mint leaves also contain vitamins A and salicylic acid which is active in combating acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mint leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
One type of essential oils that are effective in killing acne is tea tree oil. People have been using this for their skin disorders; even many beauty clinics offer special treatment with tea tree oil. It is known loaded with anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties that are needed to dispel acne causing bacteria.
This oil is also easily absorbed when applied topically and penetrate deep into the skin to treat acne quickly, reducing inflammation and redness that may result. Approximately 5% topical use of tea tree oil is effective for treating acne vulgaris from mild to moderate.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Cotton ball – sufficiently. (iii) Honey – one teaspoon.
Note » For sensitive skin, the use of pure tea tree oil may cause irritation, hence dilute one part tea tree oil with three parts water before application.
Nutmeg contains healing properties for skin disorders, it stimulates the dead skin cells and removes them from your skin; hence the healing properties from nutmeg can be applied to cure acne and sunburn.
It allows for nutmeg to control excess oil and reduce the possibility of developing an infection. Cinnamon, on the other hand, may stimulate blood vessels and bring blood up to the skin surface, so it is excellent for reducing fine lines.
Ingredients you need: (i) Nutmeg – sufficiently. (ii) Cinnamon – sufficiently. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon.
Note » Always perform a patch test before using nutmeg, because it is potentially irritating to the sensitive skin.
Green tea has been widely taken to enhance one’s beauty, and it is one of the natural ingredients which can help improve the skin condition of certain damages.
Green tea contains Catechins, the compounds that have the ability to fight bacteria that cause acne and it comes from the anti-bacterial properties contained in green tea. Extracts of green tea applied topically able to cure several dermatological problems including back acne.
Ingredients you need: (i) Green tea – one bag. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Cotton ball – clean one.
Baking soda is a simple remedy capable of getting rid of back acne fast. The reason is that it has anti-fungal, anti-septic and anti-bacterial properties that effectively inhibits the growth of acne-causing bacteria and preventing infections that may arise.
It also helps balance the skin’s pH and prevent skin from breaking out. However, the use baking soda to address skin disorders should be limited because it may cause irritation in an excess amount.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – one tablespoon. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
More Useful Tips for Back Acne
Some of the following tips can be useful when it comes to back acne; you can apply better skin care by applying some healthy lifestyle and provide proper protection over your skin. They may help a lot in speeding up the healing process.
- Avoid Oil-Based Skin Care Products
- No Hard Squeezing on Back Acne
- Avoid Sun Exposure
- Wash Your Body
- Drink Water
- Apply Healthy Lifestyles
Avoid or limit the use of oil-based skin care products can prevent yourself from acne prone skin since these products tend to leave a buildup of dirt on the skin that could potentially clog the pores of the skin.
Put hard pressure on the back acne may slow down the healing process, hence always avoid this activity to provide an opportunity for your skin to recover from acne. Avoid hard pressure including wearing tight clothes for a while.
Exposure to sunlight can certainly aggravate your back acne condition, so there is no way other than to avoid the sun during the recovery period. Alternatively, use a protective cream if needed.
Wash your body is absolutely necessary while experiencing back acne, especially after your exercise. Wash your body gently and regularly to clean the buildup of dirt clogging the pores.
Increase fluid intake can flush the toxins out of the body, you can drink water when thirsty or consume fresh fruits and soups to increase the humidity of your body. However, you should avoid carbonated beverages because they are bad for your body.
Adopt a healthy lifestyle include avoiding smoking, junk food, and oily foods. They are the largest contributor to the hormonal imbalance that can cause back acne. Consumption of vegetables, fruits, and whole grains can provide protection against acne, do not forget to include high protein foods into your daily diet.
Therefore using natural solution is the right choice that can be applied without involving any medicine. Simply take one of the home treatment that works for you and stick to that way until you are free of back acne.