Have you ever had a bad stomach ache or cramps, which makes you difficult to perform your daily activities? If it does, then you are not alone, most people have a stomach ache for a certain time in their lives, and it is a common problem that causes discomfort to some degree.
Unfortunately, whether adults or children, they have the potential for a stomach ache. People with a stomach ache may feel discomfort in the abdominal area, from mild to sharp pain or even stomach cramps.
You should not allow the condition to persist while having a stomach ache. Luckily, you can take some home remedies to get rid of a stomach ache quickly. However knowing the cause behind the stomach ache is imperative to get the proper treatment in the first place.
The Stomach Ache Causes
Stomach ache or abdominal pain is any pain that occurs around the abdominal area. It occurs due to several reasons, ranging from something which is not serious, while others develop some serious disease that results in a stomach ache and certainly needs to involve any medical intervention.
Several common causes of a stomach ache are: constipation, menstrual cramps, food allergies, gas, indigestion, overeating, and lactose intolerance. Luckily they can be taken care of by applying home remedies available.
Meanwhile, people who develop serious illnesses such as gall bladder stones, stomach ulcers, urinary tract infection, hernia, and appendicitis; they also seem to show symptoms of abdominal pain.
But, home remedies will not help much, though the pain may subside, yet they still need the attention of medical experts.
Symptoms of a Stomach Ache
Most people may feel pain in the abdominal area, and this is the primary symptom caused by a stomach ache or abdominal pain. However, a condition may indicate more severe cases and accompanied by several other symptoms, such as flatulence, nausea, belching, difficulty in breathing, fever, vomiting, unable to eat, loss of appetite, tightness in the stomach, bloody diarrhea while vomiting, and constipation.
The stomach ache can reduce a person’s ability to concentrate on anything, thus it is crucial to make it go away fast, regardless of any reason behind the abdominal pain.
Home Remedies for a Stomach Ache and Gas
Taking home remedies to get rid of a stomach ache may provide quick relief for your complaints. Whereas preferably, this remedies is applied if the causes of are indigestion, gas, bloating and such things. Also, you are advised not to take certain medicines such as antibiotics, as it may stimulate indigestion. Here are a few of them;
Lemon Juice for Stomach Ache
Being a versatile fruit, which is rich in vitamin C, minerals and antioxidants, lemon is the first choice when it comes to a stomach ache due to indigestion. It works against free radicals as well and runs the detoxification process.
Citric acid present in lemon encourages the production of hydrochloric acid in the body, in which it is useful to break down food to be digested properly, as an inability to digest food properly is one of the causes of indigestion.
Whereas incorporating the baking soda in lemon can help fight infection, as the baking soda is alkaline in nature, which works to balance pH in the body that allows the bacteria difficult to grown.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Baking soda – sufficiently. (iii) Honey – sufficiently. (iv) Salt – sufficiently.
- Place a teaspoon of baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt and the juice of one whole lemon into a glass of warm water. Mix evenly and drink immediately.
- Alternatively, make a concoction of one cup of lemon juice plus a little honey to add sweetness. Drink it immediately.
- Follow this remedy two or three times a day until your stomach ache subside.
Note » In case of you have a high blood pressure, or you are on low-sodium diet, please do not use this remedy.
Rice Tea for Stomach Ache
Your body develops indigestion and diarrhea that lead to a stomach ache; then you may consider taking rice tea to help relieve pain around the stomach. The idea of the rice tea is by taking some left out water while cooking rice. The rice water acts as a demulcent, as it treating inflammation of the lining of your stomach.
Ingredients you need: (i) White rice – ½ cup. (ii) Water – six cups. (iii) Honey – optional (one tablespoon).
- Wash off the white rice thoroughly and place in a cup.
- Boil the six cups of water in a pan, and put the rice into the pan, cover the pan and leave for 15 minutes.
- Keep stirring until the rice becomes tender, strain the water and allow it to cool.
- Add honey to improve the flavor, and the rice water drink while warm slowly.
- Follow this routine twice a day for several days until the stomach ache subsides.
Ginger Tea for Stomach Ache
The human being has known ginger to help solve the problems of their stomach for centuries. It is an ancient tradition in the treatment of stomach ache. Ginger is a natural antioxidant and has anti-inflammatory properties that help the digestive process, which in turn contributes to relieve pain around the stomach.
Thanks to the compound of Gingerol and Shogaols present in ginger, because they provide relief to your stomach due to indigestion and gas. In addition, ginger plays a role in counteracting free radicals, and promote the production of digestive juices that are useful in neutralizing stomach acid.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw fresh ginger – one medium-size. (ii) Water – one glass. (iii) Honey – sufficiently.
- Make thin slices of fresh raw ginger.
- Prepare one cup of boiling water and place the slices of ginger into the cup.
- Leave it steep for about five minutes and strain the ginger tea afterwards.
- Add honey to taste and sip slowly while it still warm.
- Repeat to drink ginger tea two or three times a day to help relieve abdominal pain due to indigestion.
Note » For obtaining optimal results, only use raw ginger instead of processed ones in any forms.
Chamomile Tea for Stomach Ache
If you are a big fan of herbal tea, consider this as a good fortune for you. You can come up with chamomile tea when it comes to abdominal pain.
The reason of using chamomile tea is because it is known to have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that help in getting rid of inflammation in the digestive system.
Moreover, the soothing properties of chamomile tea allows the muscles in the digestive tract to loosen. Thus hopefully that the abdominal pain may subside along with the drinking chamomile tea regularly.
Ingredients you need: (i) Chamomile tea – sufficiently. (ii) Boiling water – one cup. (iii) Lemon juice or honey – as per required.
- You may start by pouring boiling water into an empty cup.
- Put one teaspoon of dried chamomile leaves or one chamomile tea bag into the cup and allow it to steep for 15 minutes.
- Leave the tea to cool down or warm, add lemon juice or honey adequately to enhance the taste.
- Drink chamomile tea while it still warm, repeat this remedy for two or three times a day for relief of abdominal pain.
Fennel Seeds for Stomach Ache
The tradition of chewing fennel seeds turned out to provide a good impact on digestive health and keep a person away from a stomach ache. It has a diuretic, antimicrobial and pain reliever properties for treating indigestion due to bloating and gas.
Fennel seeds also help reduce inflammation of the lining of the stomach which can sometimes be the reason behind an upset stomach.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fennel seeds – sufficiently. (ii) Boiling water – one cup.
- You may have a teaspoon of fennel seeds and chew after the meal, especially if you eat spicy and oily foods.
- Alternatively, make a fennel tea of a teaspoon of fennel seeds, place them in a cup of boiling water and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and drink it while still warm, repeat three times a day for relief of stomach ache.
Mint Tea for Stomach Ache
Mint tea is a traditional remedy to relieve abdominal pain due to indigestion. Being antispasmodic, mint tea can relax the stomach muscles in the digestive tract and increases the production of digestive juices to improve the digestive process. It also helps get rid of abdominal pain due to gas and bloating.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fresh mint leaves – one teaspoon. (ii) Water – one cup.
- Simply take two to three cups of mint tea to get rid of a stomach ache. Pour one teaspoon of dried mint leaves into a cup of boiling water.
- Leave it to steep for about 10 minutes, strain the tea and add a little honey. Drink slowly while still warm.
- In case you do not have enough time, chewing some mint leaves are allowed for fast relief.
Potato Juice for Stomach Ache
Some of you may believe that potatoes are not good for health, yet scientifically, this kind of vegetables has the antibacterial properties that able to heal stomach ulcers and shed the shackles of abdominal pain that you may have. In fact, the potato juice can treat gout, rheumatism, and even constipation.
Ingredients you need: (i) Potatoes – sufficiently. (ii) Water – one cup. (iii) Lemon juice – one teaspoon (optional). (iv) Honey – one teaspoon (optional).
- Grind the potatoes to have ¼ cup of potato juice and add a cup of water into the potato juice.
- Drink this solution every morning when your stomach is empty and before you put any foods into your stomach.
- Potato juice has a pungent odor, hence add lemon juice or honey to improve the taste.
Probiotic Drink for Stomach Ache
Your stomach requires good bacteria (probiotics) to help digest food in the digestive tract. However, when you are suffering from indigestion, there is a possibility that the number of good bacteria has been reduced in a significant amount that leads to discomfort or abdominal pain.
Therefore, you require the intake of sufficient amount of probiotic drink to improve your digestive condition. Yogurt, on the other hand, is one of the natural probiotic that you can use for this purpose, certainly without any sugar or flavors (plain). It helps maintain the overall health of the stomach and reduce pain due to indigestion.
Ingredients you need: (i) Plain yogurt – sufficiently. (ii) Salt – a pinch. (iii) Water – one cup. (iv) Coriander leaves – a few fresh ones. (v) Cardamom powder – sufficiently.
- Pour two tablespoons of plain yogurt into a glass of water plus a pinch of salt.
- Add the juice of coriander leaves as many as three teaspoons, add ½ teaspoon of ground cardamom and stir the mixture evenly.
- Drink the potion one hour after you eat to get rid of a bad stomach ache.
- In case you want to avoid the herb, simply drink the plain yogurt several times a day to get relief from abdominal pain.
Vinegar for Stomach Ache
Vinegar, in this regard apple cider vinegar, contains natural antibiotics that are useful for treating stomach pain due to indigestion and gas. It helps soothes the stomach and improve the digestive process.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – one cup. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon.
- Pour one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar into a cup of warm water, stir well after that.
- Add one tablespoon of honey to improve the taste and drink this solution several times a day until the stomach ache subsided.
- In case you have difficulty in getting the apple cider vinegar, you may use white vinegar as a substitute.
During the abdominal pain, avoid spicy and oily foods to help ease the condition. Do not forget to apply a healthy diet by increasing the intake of protein and a variety of dairy products such as milk, buttermilk, and yogurt. You can also increase the intake of fiber in a limited number of the fruits or vegetables to improve digestion.