Hair is the only crown that people might have, featuring healthy hair is a distinct pleasure for some people, especially for women, in which they are always changing haircuts to obtain the best appearance out of their hair. Therefore, maintaining health and beauty of hair is certainly a top priority for most people.
However the modern and fast-paced life leave some problems for several women as it is now. Pollution, sun exposure, and an unhealthy environment can cause hair problems they commonly known as dandruff. Nevertheless, in some rarely situations, men can also suffer from dandruff which causes them trying to eliminate it from their hair.
In summary, everyone can suffer from dandruff regardless of age, from teenagers to adults, they may suffer from dandruff when the unpleasant condition is stopping by on your hair. Then why we called the condition is unpleasant? Surely when someone is having a problem of dandruff, it may lead to some unpleasant side effects, such as itching, white flakes fall, and hair loss, all of which convey a bad image for the individual.
Dandruff occurs as a result of exfoliation of dead skin cells on the scalp. Actually, the whole body skin getting exfoliation under normal circumstances, as well as on the scalp. However when the dead skin cells on the scalp peeling excessively, it may lead to dandruff.
What Causes of Dandruff?
There are many reasons behind dandruff that people have, starting from the condition of the scalp or some external factors that trigger irritating dandruff. You may notice in the following elaboration.
Dryness on the Scalp
Any Skin Problems
Leaving the Regular Hair Washing
Lack of Hair Brushing
People with dry skin could potentially have dandruff on their heads. Dry skin can cause white micro particles falling off and itching; the same way also applies on the scalp. You may see the white flakes falling from your hair, and certainly, they are dry.
Oily skin or medically known as “Seborrheic Dermatitis” is also the major cause of dandruff. Dandruff which resulting from oily skin does not just appear on the scalp, but some other areas that have more glands, and secrete oils may potentially dandruff as well. So do not be surprised if you see dandruff in certain spots like eyebrows, chest, sides of the nose, armpits and anywhere where the folds of skin available.
Some people are known to have the excess sensitivity of the yeast, in which it resulted in the person is more likely to develop dandruff. A type of yeast called “Malassezia” can thrive in the scalp of every person.
While some people develop resistance against “Malassezia”, but for others, this yeast may increase the growth of dead skin cells on the scalp at a faster rate. They culminate in the white flakes falling on the head or taken to be dandruff.
Skin problems are undeniable may encourage the development of dandruff. Skin diseases such as eczema and psoriasis can cause red patches and make the scalp extremely dry, which leads to silvery white flakes like dandruff. If left untreated, it can lead to itching, hair loss, and bleeding.
When you are less concerned about the cleanliness of hair, you would easily suffer from dandruff. Dirty hair may result in oils and dead skin cells accumulate on the scalp which leads to dandruff. So do not let your hair less care, and immediately run a periodic shampooing depending on your hair type.
Combing your hair on a regular basis can help to cleanse the scalp, as this action promotes exfoliation dead skin cells that accumulate on the scalp, in addition to, it also stimulates blood circulation and cleanse the pores of the scalp. Hence, dirt, dust and including dandruff can come off your hair easily.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dandruff Fast Permanently
The most efficient way to get rid of dandruff is actually as easy as washing your hair because of all the ingredients are readily available at home and easily taken to tackle your dandruff problem.
Nevertheless, you can still apply the anti-dandruff shampoos available in the market, in the case of you need a convenience and fast remedy. But still, we have listed a few home remedies that are proven to get rid of dandruff without causing side effects effectively. Here are a few of them.
Coconut Oil for Dandruff
Coconut oil is an effective remedy for all hair problems including dandruff. It is packed with vitamin E, Lauric Acid and Capric Acid which is an essential nutrient for healthy hair. Thus it can nourish the hair from the cuticle to the hair shaft, retains moisture of the hair and prevent scalp dryness which is the reason behind dandruff.
The anti-fungal properties present in coconut oil cures yeast and fungi related problems which are potentially cause dandruff.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently.
- Pour some coconut oil on the hands and apply on your scalp.
- Massage your scalp with the help of your fingers for a few minutes to help the oil penetrate into the pores of the scalp.
- Allow it to stay at least 20 minutes then rinse with warm water followed by shampooing.
- Repeat this treatment once a week, yet for people with extreme dandruff, the use of coconut oil requires 2-3 repetitions in a week.
Baking Soda for Dandruff
Baking soda, one of the natural remedies widely used to resolve nearly all of the skin problems. You can also come up with the baking soda to resolve issues related to dandruff. There is a reason why baking soda is effective for dandruff, as the baking soda is known as a natural exfoliating agent that works in lightweight to peel off dead skin cells on the scalp while absorbing excess oil.
The white powder is also killing bacteria, fungi, and microbes by maintaining the pH level of the scalp, and encourage the pores to produce moisture on the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking Soda – one tablespoon. (ii) Lukewarm water – one cup.
- Dissolve the baking soda in a cup of lukewarm water. Mix evenly and then apply it to your hair like shampoo.
- Leave for a few minutes or at least 20 minutes, and rinse clean with water as normal.
- You can also mix one teaspoon of baking soda with a mild shampoo and use the mixture to wash your hair.
- Alternatively, wet your hair and apply some baking soda into your scalp. Rub your scalp gently, and leave for a few minutes and then rinse with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this treatment once or twice a week for several weeks.
Note » Avoid for shampooing your hair after using this treatment.
Lemon Juice for Dandruff
Nobody does not like lemon, a fruit that offers a million of freshness and health. It is loaded with citric acid, which becomes the healing agent to fight the fungus which is the reason behind dandruff, thanks to the anti-fungal properties present in lemon. Besides, lemon is also effective in stripped itchiness of the scalp. Leaving your hair clean and shiny.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fresh lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- You may mix a cup of water and 3-4 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Apply the solution on your scalp evenly while gently massaging with the help of fingers.
- Wait for at least 10 minutes and rinse off with water followed by shampooing your hair.
- You also can rub lemon slices on your scalp and leave for a few minutes, wash with water and shampoo afterwards.
- Mix a few teaspoons of lemon juice and coconut oil, use the mixture to massage the scalp and leave for 15 minutes and rinse off.
- Alternatively, you can make a mixture of ¼ cup of yogurt and juice of ½ lemon, apply the mixture on the scalp and hair, leave for 20 minutes and rinse off with water followed by shampooing.
Note » Follow either of the remedies several times a week to combat dandruff.
Apple Cider Vinegar for Dandruff
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is one of the effective treatments to get rid of dandruff from your scalp. The reason is, first ACV contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties that fight causing-microbes dandruff.
Secondly is the ACV helps balance the pH levels of the scalp, so it is not possible for fungus and bacteria to proliferate. Lastly, ACV also works to clear the clogged pores of the scalp, as a result of excess sebum and itching.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – two tablespoons. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Essential oils – a few drops.
- Pour ½ cup of apple cider vinegar into 1 liter of water, stir well afterwards.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo and rinse with water as normally.
- Use the mixture of ACV and water as a final rinse, repeat this treatment regularly every day.
- Alternatively, mix the ACV, and water with the same comparison, and stir the mixture evenly.
- Use this solution to massage your scalp evenly and leave for about 20 minutes.
- Rinse with clean water, repeat this treatment every day for a week and once a week afterwards.
- The last method, mix two parts of apple cider vinegar and one part warm water. Pour a few drops of essential oils (lavender, tea tree oil, etc.).
- Rinse your hair with this solution and leave for a few minutes, you can do massage while waiting.
- Wash off with water and repeat the treatment once a week to get rid of dandruff.
Note » You may also put the diluted ACV inside a spray bottle and use on it regularly.
Tea Tree Oil for Dandruff
Tea tree oil has several beneficial properties for the problem of dandruff. It is rich in anti-fungal properties that make it highly effective in eliminating yeast, fungi and microbes that cause dandruff.
In addition, it also has anti-inflammatory properties that are useful to relieve itching of the scalp due to dandruff. Tea tree oil will help get rid of dandruff due to oily scalp, opening the clogged follicles and get rid of the fungal infection.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Shampoo – sufficiently. (iii) Water – sufficiently. (iv) Carrier oils – sufficiently.
- Pour a few drops of tea tree oil into shampoo or conditioner, and use it to wash your hair as you normally would.
- You can also add 8 drops of tea tree oil into ½ cup of carrier oils (jojoba, coconut, olive).
- Apply the mixture on your scalp and massage gently for a few minutes.
- Leave for about 30 minutes or overnight and then wash your hair afterwards.
- Follow either these remedies at least twice a week for several weeks.
Rosemary Oil for Dandruff
Rosemary oil contains significant amounts of anti-fungal properties necessary for getting rid of hair problems associated with dandruff. It attacks the bacteria and fungi, soothes the itchy scalp and gets rid of dandruff significantly. You can add some additional ingredients such as aloe vera or tea tree oil to increase the efficacy of treatment.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rosemary oil – a few drops. (ii) Tea tree oil – a few drops. (iii) Aloe vera juice – ½ cup.
- Pour the aloe vera, three drops of tea tree oil and four drops of rosemary oil into a small container and stir evenly.
- Apply the solution to your scalp evenly and gently massage using your fingers.
- Allow it to stay for 15 minutes and rinse with water followed by shampooing.
Neem Leaf for Dandruff
Overgrowth of fungus on the scalp known as Pityrosporum Ovale can leave the problem of dandruff. Neem leaf contains anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties which highly effective in combating causing fungus dandruff. Moreover, it also works to relieve itching, hair loss and acne scalp due to dandruff.
Ingredients you need: (i) Neem leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Boiling water – four cups.
- Place a handful of neem leaves into the cup of boiling water and leave for a few minutes until the water reaches room temperature.
- Strain the solution and use it to rinse the hair and apply for once or twice a week.
- You can also grind some neem leaves and mix with water, use the solution to rinse as shown above.
Yogurt Mask for Dandruff
Yogurt is used by some people to treat some complaints related to skin problems, it contains beneficial bacteria for the body, skin and scalp. Anti-bacterial properties present in yogurt is very efficient to cure dandruff that are likely you have.
Yogurt also contains superb components such as proteins and vitamin B5 that are useful to nourish the scalp and hair in one application. In addition, yogurt also helps moisturize the scalp and prevents dandruff from returning.
Ingredients you need: (i) Plain yogurt – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – sufficiently. (iii) Shampoo – sufficiently.
- Simply apply yogurt on your scalp and hair thoroughly, while gently massaging with the fingers.
- Allow it to stay for approximately one hour or more, and rinse your hair with warm water followed by shampooing.
- Repeat the treatment at least once a week to get rid of dandruff from your hair.
Epsom Salt for Dandruff
Epsom salt is a mild exfoliating agent that is great for peeling off dead skin cells and flaky scales. For that reason, Epsom salt is very efficient in eliminating dandruff on the scalp and hair. Here’s how to use Epsom salt to get rid of flaky dead skin cells that cause dandruff.
Ingredients you need: (i) Epsom salt – sufficiently.
- You can apply 2-3 tablespoons of Epsom salt on your scalp and perform gentle massaging for 3 minutes.
- Wash your hair with warm water followed by shampooing.
- Repeat this treatment at least 2 times a week initially, followed by once a week or two weeks to prevent dandruff for returning.
Fenugreek Seeds for Dandruff
For last resort, you can use fenugreek seeds for treating dandruff. Fenugreek contains antifungal properties which are effective to combat invading bacteria and causing fungus dandruff, other than that it also works soothing and relieve itching due to fungus on the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fenugreek seeds – three tablespoons. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Plain yogurt – sufficiently.
- Soak the fenugreek seeds in a bowl of water and leave overnight. Grind the fenugreek seeds the next morning to form a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on your hair and scalp evenly, and leave for several hours.
- Rinse with warm water afterwards, follow this treatment two or three times a week.
Some Useful Tips to Get Rid of Dandruff from Your Hair
Apart from the use of home remedies for dandruff, you may also need to implement a regular treatment on your hair. It is necessary to create the healthy environment which is clean and free from dandruff.
Washing the Hair
Apply Hair Spa
Visit a Dermatologist
Washing the hair is no doubt is the easy way to clean the hair and scalp from dirt buildup that could potentially cause dandruff. Wash your hair at least twice a week may help prevent dandruff, always pay attention to the content from dandruff shampoo because it can cause stress to the hair. Use warm water to rinse your hair.
Applying hair spa is another efficient way to cure dandruff, due to your busy schedule, visit your favorite salon for help in hair spa. You can try some of the products sold by the salon to address this issue and consult with your beautician before application to obtain the desired results.
Visiting a dermatologist is a quick way to treat dandruff problem, especially for those which have a medical reason behind the appearance of dandruff. Your doctor will give you a prescription medication specifically to ward off disease and dandruff which you may have. This condition is imperative if you are not able to control the growth of dandruff on your scalp.
After cleaning the dirt on the scalp and hair, take precautions on a regular basis to counter dandruff back again. Remember, home remedies takes more time, so be patient and follow the home remedy of your choice consistently to get the desired results.