Head lice (“Pediculus Humanus Capitis”), allowing you to constantly scratching your head. It is actually very embarrassing, disgusting and makes you feel stress. Children commonly suffer Head lice, and they get the symptoms of head lice because of a transmission while in the school environment.
Nearly six to twelve million children in the US suffer from head lice each year, the number is fantastic of course. Head lice are not an indication of poor hygiene, and it is a common occurrence among us.
Head lice cannot jump, fly or hop, but they transfer easily from head to head, through direct contact with contaminated hair, bedding, combs, clothing or brush, as the closeness between children and parents, sometimes adults also experience the condition of head lice.
A female louse can lay between 4-6 nits twice a day. Within a month, you can find thousands of parasites crawling on your head. Most cases of head lice are found after three or four months, so be aware of the early symptoms of head lice is necessary to take appropriate actions.
Symptoms of Head Lice
According to the “American Academy of Dermatology”, if you can find one of the following symptoms on your child, you can be aware of the lice on your child’s head.
» Vigorous scratched in the head because of the unbearable itchiness.
» There are something crawling over the head, such as little brown bugs in the head.
» Swollen lymph nodes that commonly occur in the back of the head.
» The emergence of pink eye.
If you or your family suffer from head lice condition, you should take the treatment and preventive actions immediately. The faster you find the symptoms of head lice, the easier you eliminate them from the head.
Rapid Home Remedies for Head Lice
Prescription medication in the long term can be toxic, while the treatment with OTC usually gives inconsistent results. Fortunately, there are many natural home remedies that proven effective and safe to get rid of head lice.
Onions for Head Lice
These types of herbs can be found easily at your home, onions contain sulfur compounds that can ruin the life cycle of head lice, it can cause heat for lice, which ultimately deadly for the head louse. Therefore, onions can be a natural remedy to eradicate the head lice problem.
Ingredients you need: (i) Onions – six cloves. (ii) Blender or food processor. (iii) Sieve.
- Take the onions and enter into the blender or food processor, grind up to get a fine paste of the onions.
- Use a sieve to extract the juice from the onion paste by squeezing it.
- Apply the juice on your scalp and perform gently massage, protect your head with a shower cap afterward.
- Wait for at least two hours; you can do various activities at home of course.
- Rinse off your hair with a mild shampoo, then dry up your hair with a towel and use a nit comb to banish the head louse.
- Do this treatment at least three days in a row, followed by once a week for two months to eliminate the lice completely.
Lemon Juice and Garlic
Many experts use lemon juice for a variety of needs, either beauty or health, including in eradicating head lice.
The highly acidic properties of lemon juice easily make head lice away from the scalp, and prevent transmission of lice among children or adults. On the other hand, garlic has a sulfur content which is sufficient to kill the lice on the head.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – one tablespoon. (ii) Garlic – four cloves.
- Minced garlic using a mortar or blender to make a smooth paste.
- Add lemon juice to the dough of garlic and stir evenly, apply the paste on your scalp evenly.
- Gently massage your scalp, then cover your head with a shower cap or towel.
- Leave for 30 minutes, and wash your hair with shampoo, use a lice comb to remove lice from your head.
- Use this treatment for three to five days in a row to get rid of lice nesting in your head.
Mayonnaise for Head Lice
Who ever thought that mayonnaise is a potent remedy for head lice, we usually use mayonnaise as a food supplement, for salad or sandwich.
Mayonnaise is made from vegetable oil, egg and vinegar. Treatment with mayonnaise takes the same manner as the hair gel, which is by suffocating head lice and kill them eventually.
Even though mayonnaise is more difficult to remove from the hair, but it is a popular treatment for head lice, even supported by the “Minnesota Department of Health”, and become an acceptable method to dispel the head lice.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mayonnaise – sufficiently. (ii) Shower cap or towel. (iii) Hair dryer.
- Cover each strand of your hair with the mayonnaise. Use a shower cap or towel to cover your head with a perfect, which aims to create an airtight the hair and prevents droplets of the mayonnaise.
- Let stand for five or six hours, then wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
- Dry your hair with a hair dryer, and use a nit comb to make sure you are free from head lice.
- Repeat this process once a week for two months or after your scalp is clean from lice.
Alcohol containing 70% isopropyl or pure alcohol can be an effective alternative to repel lice in the head; it is potent disinfectant that can effectively kill head lice and safely applied to the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rubbing alcohol – sufficiently. (ii) Shampoo and conditioner.
- Take a little bit of rubbing alcohol and apply on the scalp, spread evenly with a gentle massage using your fingers, do not forget to wash your hands first.
- Leave for a few minutes, if you have been scratching your scalp too hard, there is the possibility of alcohol sting just a little in the scalp.
- Apply moisturizer to the hair and scalp to reduce the burning sensation.
- Shampoo and dry your hair using a hair dryer. Use a nit comb to sweep all the lice.
- Do this treatment once or twice a week, for about two months for optimal results.
Tea Tree Oil for Head Lice
Although the results of the treatment are not in agreement with scientific standards, lots of the pieces of evidence indicate that tea tree oil provides excellent results in eradicating head lice.
You may consider tea tree oil to treat head lice problem. Tea tree oil acts as a natural insecticide and is effective in killing head lice. It also helps relieve itching on the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Shampoo. (iii) Olive oil – three tablespoons. (iv) Eucalyptus oil – optional.
- Add five drops of tea tree oil to one ounce of shampoo, then use it to wash your hair as usual.
- Dry your hair with a hair dryer and comb your hair to get rid of head lice.
- You can also make a solution of three tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of tea tree. Adding one teaspoon of eucalyptus oil may encourage efficacy.
- Apply the solution on the scalp and your hair, make sure your entire scalp exposed to this solution.
- Cover your head with a towel or shower cap, leave for 30 minutes. Wash your hair afterward, and dry with a hair dryer.
- Use both of these methods at least twice a week for two months.
Note » Be careful in the use of tea tree oil, as it is quite potent, if you are allergic to this oil, or you have an open wound, stay away from tea tree oil to repel head lice.
Coconut Oil for Head Lice
If you have difficulty in getting natural ingredients such as mayonnaise or other essential oils, you may look to your kitchen.
Lucky for you if you have coconut oil, it is a superb agent for several hairs and scalp problems, including head lice. Coconut oil may make lice suffocate and kill them eventually.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – three tablespoons. (ii) Camphor – a little.
- Warm up the coconut oil and mixed with a little camphor. Apply thoroughly on your scalp and massage gently with your fingers.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or towel and leave overnight. Wash your hair with shampoo in the morning, blow-dry your hair and use a nit comb to get rid of head lice.
- Do this treatment five days in a row to eradicate head lice permanently.
Vinegar for Head Lice
Vinegar is a solution that is easily available in your home; it is a food supplement ingredients to improve the sour taste, but more than that, vinegar is very potent for eradicating head lice.
In addition, vinegar can also make nits do not hatch. High content of acetic acid of vinegar is toxic for lice and kill the lice easily.
Ingredients you need: (i) Vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Mineral oil (baby oil) – sufficiently. (iii) Water – sufficiently.
- Take vinegar and mineral oil in the same amount, then mix the two ingredients.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and hair, cover your head with a shower cap or towel and leave overnight.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo and dry it up, then comb your hair to get rid of dead lice and nits.
- You may also make a solution of vinegar and water mixed with the same amount.
- Apply to your hair which has been freshly shampooed, leave for 10 minutes then rinse your hair with cold water.
- Perform this vinegar treatment three times a week, and within two months, you’ll see your head is free from lice and nits.
Note » You may also use apple cider vinegar instead of vinegar with the same result.
Neem Oil for Head Lice
Neem oil or often referred to as the Indian lilac containing azadirachtin that works as a natural insecticide to destroy the life cycle of the lice and nits, therefore, it is very effective for the treatment of head lice problems.
In addition, neem oil also helps to heal scalp irritation due to constant scratching. It contains triterpenoids which act as a topical anti-septic as well as moisturizing the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Neem oil – sufficiently. (ii) Coconut oil – sufficiently.
- Mix neem oil and coconut oil in the same amount, then warm up the mixture.
- Massage your scalp and hair with this mixture thoroughly. Let stand for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with shampoo and dry your hair. Use a nit comb to get rid of head lice and nits.
- Repeat this treatment twice a week for two months for maximum results.
Almonds for Head Lice
Almond is a delicious and natural way to eliminate head lice and nits rapidly. In addition, almonds also help maintain the health of your scalp and hair naturally.
Ingredients you need: (i)Almonds – 10 almonds. (ii) Lemon juice – three tablespoons.
- Put the almonds into a bowl of water and leave overnight. Blender almond to make a fine powder.
- Move the almond powder into a bowl and add water to form a smooth paste.
- Add the lemon juice into a paste, then rub into the scalp and hair evenly.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave for two hours. Wash your hair with cold water afterwards.
- Perform this treatment twice a week for two months.
Petroleum Jelly for Head Lice
Applying petroleum jelly to the scalp and hair can make head lice stifling and stuffy. When the breathing holes of lice clogged by petroleum jelly, they will suffocate as the oxygen ran out and it is impossible for them to survive for very long.
Ingredients you need: (i) Petroleum jelly – sufficiently. (ii) Baby oil.
- Apply petroleum jelly on your hair and scalp evenly, use a thick layer of jelly.
- Cover your head with a shower cap and leave overnight.
- Use baby oil to remove petroleum jelly from your hair, be patient in this process.
- Wash your hair with shampoo, then let it dry, and use a nit comb to remove head lice afterward.
- Follow this process twice a week for two months and see the results.
Additional Tips for Head Lice Remedies
Treatment of head lice requires several things that you should know, because getting rid of head lice is not an overnight treatment that you can see on the next day. Here are a few of them.
- Eradicating head lice is relatively easy, but the biggest problem is the nits are very small and numerous, so it takes a long time to get rid of head lice and nits without any left.
- Monitor the condition of the heads from those who suffer from head lice, and make sure there are no further signs of lice life.
- After perform the treatment of head lice, wash all clothing, bedding used by people with hot water. Do not share any item, including separating the comb and brush belonging to the affected person.
- Use a vacuum to clean the mattress, fabrics, and carpets, and sealing every non-washable items in a plastic bag for about a week.
- Do not forget yourself, comb your hair with a nit comb occasionally as a preventive action.
So there is no rule of thumb in this case. It also depends on what type of treatment you apply, the life cycle of head lice, and whether a person is re-infected after treatment. The sooner you do early treatment, the faster it can be eliminated from the head.