Having a peeling skin can cause a chaotic appearance, even though it is a normal process of skin regeneration, but its appearance can be a disaster for some people. Everyone must have experienced peeling skin, as a result of peeling off the dead skin cells.
Our skin is composed of three layers; the first is the outermost layer, called the epidermis; the second one is the middle layer or dermis, and the last is the innermost layer or often called the hypodermic.
Among these three layers, the outermost layer or epidermis will be replaced with the new skin at regular intervals and through the process of peeling skin.
The exfoliation process commonly not noticeable by people, it starts when the dead skin begins to peel off in which it defined as the damage and loss of epidermis, yet it becomes an important part of the natural and healing process.
However, you may have excessive peeling as particular reasons that appears on the face, hands and feet or other body parts, sometimes accompanied by itching, rashes, dryness and other irritating skin problems. That’s why we’re here to find the proper solution.
- What Causes of Peeling Skin
- How to Get Rid of Peeling Skin Naturally
- Several Important Tips When Dealing with Peeling Skin
What Causes of Peeling Skin
There are several underlying reasons of peeling skin and sometimes in excessive way as well. Peeling skin is common for those with dry skin, and sun exposure may worsen the situation, due to UV rays can damage the top layer of the skin that leads to scaly and inflamed areas of the skin.
Certain medical conditions, a number of skin disorders, and environmental changes can also lead to peeling skin. They include, exposure to extreme weather, skin rashes, infections, eczema, psoriasis, ringworm, allergies or irritation from medication and certain chemicals, some types of cancer, dermatitis, weak immune systems and fungal infections.
How to Get Rid of Peeling Skin Naturally
Basically, peeling skin is not a serious condition, and it may go away after some time later. By applying the exfoliation, you can speed up the healing process and eliminate peeling skin. You can apply the natural remedies to encourage cell renewal process and maintain overall skin health.
Providing moisture and skin hygiene at regular intervals is the best way to get new and healthy skin beneath dead skin cells. Due to the human body loses hundreds of millions of epidermal particles and accumulated at the top of the layer of the skin; hence they require periodic cleaning. Here are some natural remedies that you can apply to your beautiful skin.
Cucumber Facial Mask
People love cucumber for the incredible content of water present in cucumber is a great healing agent for lots of skin problems. It keeps skin hydrated and acts as a natural astringent for healthy skin. In fact, it also provides a cooling effect that helps relieve inflammation, itching and irritation.
When applied on the surface of the skin, vitamin C present in cucumber helps dampen sunburn and promote skin repair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cucumber – full one. (ii) Aloe vera – sufficiently.
- Take the cucumber and peel its upper layer, crush or grated cucumber to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the face or other parts of the affected skin thoroughly.
- Allow it to stay for 15 minutes and rinse your face with warm water afterward.
- You can also make a smooth paste from the cucumber and two tablespoons of aloe vera gel and mix the ingredients evenly.
- Apply the paste on the peeling skin and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water afterward.
Note » Repeat the same process daily for one or two weeks to remove peeling skin.
Milk for Exfoliation
Milk contains certain beneficial properties which highly suitable when dealing with dry and peeling skin. Milk is packed with lactic acid that relieves itching and irritation, while the protein contained in milk provides a soothing effect; therefore it is very good in improving the natural moisture of the skin and effectively to get rid of peeling skin on the face or other parts of your body.
Ingredients you need: (i) Whole milk – sufficiently. (ii) Washcloth – one. (iii) Honey – sufficiently.
- Place the washcloth into a bowl of whole milk and soaking it for a few moments.
- Wring out the excess milk and put the washcloth in the peeled area and leave for 10 minutes. Rinse off with water afterward.
- You can also mix two tablespoons of whole milk and one tablespoon of honey, and mix evenly.
- Apply the mixture to your face or other areas of the body evenly, apply gentle massage in a circular motion.
- Wait for 10 minutes and rinse off with warm water afterward.
Note » Repeat the remedy twice daily for several weeks to get smooth skin.
Avocado and Milk Mask
Mixing avocado into whole milk is an effective way of creating a potion to get rid of peeling skin on the face, hands and feet. Avocado is rich in minerals, vitamins and essential fatty acids that are useful to nourish and provides moisture to the skin. These ingredients also help remove dirt and dead skin flakes, leaving a soft, supple and clean face.
Ingredients you need: (i) Avocado – ½ ripe. (ii) Whole milk – three tablespoons.
- Take the avocado and crushed to form a smooth paste, add three tablespoons of whole milk and mix the ingredients evenly.
- Apply the paste on your face thoroughly, while gently massage in a circular motion.
- Allow to stand for about 20 minutes and rinse with warm water afterward. Repeat this process at least three times a week for several weeks.
If you have dry and peeling skin tendency, look no further than coconut oil for the healing solution of your skin. Coconut oil acts as a natural moisturizing agent as it contains essential fatty acids that are very useful to nourish the skin, leaving the skin softer and healthier. It is also rich in antioxidant properties that help reduce irritation and itching, promotes the growth of new skin cells.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil (extra virgin) – sufficiently.
- Simply take coconut oil to taste and warmed in a microwave.
- Apply coconut oil on the affected area and gently massage the skin with circular motions to ensure the oil completely absorbed.
- Repeat this remedy two or three times a day for several days, and you will find your skin softer and free of debris.
Olive oil offers instant relief for peeling skin, as it equipped with essential fatty acids that are good for nourishing and improve the moisture on the dry skin. It works by locking in moisture and provide a coat for the skin, promotes regeneration and healing of the skin without leaving useless flaky.
Moreover, olive oil is known as its vitamin E content, which is useful for fighting free radicals which are often the reason behind the onset of premature aging.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive oil – sufficiently. (ii) Salt – two tablespoons.
- Take the olive oil to taste and slightly warmed in a microwave, you may use a stove instead to warm up.
- Apply olive oil liberally to the affected area of the peeling skin. Do not forget to massage the skin in a circular motion to ensure the oil reaches deep into the skin.
- Leave for about 30 minutes and rinse with warm water afterward. Follow this remedy twice a day for several days to obtain softer skin.
- For enhancing the exfoliating effect, mix two tablespoons of salt and adequate olive oil to make a thick paste.
- Use the paste to scrub the face or other body parts to get rid of dead skin cells. Rinse your face with warm water.
- Perform this remedy three times a week until you get the desired result.
Mint leaves provide a soothing effect and enhance the natural moisture of the skin. In addition, it helps rejuvenate the skin; therefore, it is very helpful to get rid of peeling skin and make the skin fresh and radiant.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mint leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Light moisturizer – the appropriate one.
- Prepare a few mint leaves, wash and crush them to extract the juice.
- Apply the juice on the affected area of the peeling skin and leave overnight. Rinse your face with lukewarm water the next morning.
- Apply a light moisturizer on your face after dry out the face with a soft towel.
- Perform this treatment every day for a few days until your skin healed and free from debris.
Pineapple contains an essential enzyme called “Bromelain” which is very useful to get rid of peeling skin effectively. Anti-inflammatory properties present in pineapple helps relieve irritation and cools the skin. Besides, the AHA content of pineapple works against damage due to sun exposure.
Adding papaya into the concoction can improve the efficiency of exfoliation as of papaya contains papain enzyme which works with pineapple restore the skin softness and free of dirt. Avoid the use of canned pineapple, because they are already filled with preservatives and other additives substances that may harm your skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Pineapple – two slices. (ii) Papaya – two slices. (iii) Coconut oil – two tablespoons.
- Place the first two ingredients in a blender and mash to form a thick paste. Add coconut oil to the mixture.
- Apply the mixture on your face, use a brush to help flattening the mixture.
- Allow it to stay for 15 minutes and rinse off with warm water afterward.
- Repeat this process at least three times a week for a few days, preferably at night before going to sleep to have a better result.
Mayonnaise is one of the natural ingredients that can be found easily in your home kitchen. You can apply mayonnaise to treat the problem of dry skin and get rid of peeling skin on the face or other body parts. It works by moisturizing and soften the skin, it also removes dead skin flakes that cause skin to look dull.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mayonnaise – two tablespoons. (ii) Honey – ½ tablespoon. (iii) Lemon juice – sufficiently.
- You may spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on your face thoroughly. Perform facial scrub with the help of a soft brush to remove dead skin cells.
- Leave for about 20 minutes and rinse off with warm water afterwards.
- You can also make a mixture of two tablespoons of mayonnaise, ½ tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Stir the mixture evenly to form a smooth paste.
- Apply on your face and leave for 20 minutes before rinsing with warm water.
Oatmeal is one of the popular healthy food that provides a myriad of health benefits. When it applied externally, it also protects against skin damage. It contains moisturizing and exfoliating properties that are useful for getting rid of peeling skin and improve the natural moisture of the skin.
Oatmeal is also effective in to treat itching and irritation due to peeling of the skin. Adding soft ingredients such as chamomile tea and honey can improve the efficacy of the remedy since they provide anti-inflammatory properties and freshness to the skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oatmeal powder – two tablespoons (30g). (ii) Honey – one tablespoon (25g). (iii) Chamomile tea – three tablespoons (45ml). (iv) Moisturizer – the soft one.
- Place all ingredients into a small bowl and mix the mixture evenly, to form a thick paste.
- Apply the paste on the face in one easy application thoroughly.
- Scrub your face with the help of a soft brush for 5 minutes to ensure the dead skin flakes away from your face.
- Rinse off your face with warm water followed by the application of soft moisturizer.
- Repeat this treatment three times a week to create a soft and glowing skin.
Note » For fast application, simply put one cup of oatmeal into a bath tub, use the water as normally you would.
Curd is one of the dairy products containing lactic acid and zinc; it is very useful to promote the natural moisture of the skin. The curd is also very effective to get rid of peeling skin, killing microbes, whiten and brighten the dull complexion. It is an excellent skin cleansing agent when it comes to dry and peeling skin.
Ingredients you need: (i)Curd – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Simply apply curd on your face or other body parts evenly. Perform a gentle circular massage to remove dead skin flakes.
- Allow it to stay for 20 minutes and rinse off your face with lukewarm water afterward.
- You can add honey to the same ratio to increase the efficacy of treatment.
- Repeat this remedy three times a week until you have healed from peeling skin.
Banana provides myriad health benefits, not only when it consumed internally, but also when it applied externally. It is one of the natural ingredients that are beneficial for skin care because it helps to revitalize and nourish dry skin and liberating you from the dull skin.
You can many essential nutrients present in a banana that are useful to maintain the natural moisture of the skin, eliminate pimples, control oil and acts as a natural anti-aging. Banana is natural exfoliant that helps lift the accumulated sebum and dead skin on the surface of the skin; therefore it is very effective in getting rid of the peeling skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Banana – one ripe. (ii) Yogurt – sufficiently.
- Simply crushed the banana to form a smooth paste. Add the yogurt adequately and mix evenly to make a face cream.
- Apply the cream on the affected area of peeling, skin evenly, gently massage to ensure the dead skin away from the skin surface.
- Leave for a few minutes and rinse with warm water afterward, followed with an application of moisturizer.
- Perform this treatment several times a week for several weeks to restore your delicate skin.
Several Important Tips When Dealing with Peeling Skin
There are several things you should consider to prevent excessive skin peeling, some of them include the unhealthy lifestyle that can harm the health of your skin.
Avoid Hot Bathing
Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water can keep the body hydrated, which ultimately to maintain skin moisture. You can also add fresh fruit intake or create the juice of some fruit and vegetables.
It is undeniable that the sun could potentially damage the layers of your skin, therefore apply sunscreen with an appropriate SPF can protect your skin from direct exposure to sunlight.
Applying moisturizer can promote skin moisture and prevent dry skin. Apply moisturizer regularly to keep your skin free from dryness that leads to peeling skin.
The use of hot water for bathing may irritate the skin peeling more, use cold water instead when bathing which is also useful to relieve itching. Use mild soap only to help soften the skin.
Scratching and pulling the flaking skin, can potentially the appearance of inflammation of the skin, avoid this habit to prevent your skin from further infection.
- How to Get Rid of Dead Skin on Face
- Effective Ways to Get Glowing Skin
- How to Use Tea Tree Oil for Acne
- How to Get Clear Skin Fast
In case of peeling skin accompanied by symptoms such as muscle and joint aches, constant fatigue, common pain, fever and weight loss, you should immediately see a doctor to find out the cause behind this condition.