Every woman craves for a lovely hair and free of damage; it becomes an allurement for their appearance; they will do anything to make their hair look beautiful and radiant, from getting ready for a wedding, or any other parties which demanding woman provide the hairdo following the type of parties that will be in attended. However having the right hairdo or accessories are simply just not enough when it comes to the appearance of the split ends.
Split ends may cause a woman having difficulty to get a really good hair day. They can be a threat to the life of every woman, because, without any effort at all, they can ruin your latest hairstyle, highlights, and streaks.
The terms of the split ends medically known as “Trichoptilosis“, it refers to the splitting or fraying of the hair shaft caused by chemical, thermal and mechanical stress and leads to the depletion of the outer protective layer of the hair cuticle.
For individuals who have long hair, split ends can make the problem worse, especially if they suffer from insufficiency of nutrition or have the bad hair moisture.
The split ends may lead to the damage to the hair. If you want to win against the invasion of damaged hair, you need to know how to prevent split ends to spread out, so stay tuned.
The Main Causes of Split Ends
Just like any other health concerns, to really solve this problem, we must understand the causes of split ends at the first place. It is an issue where one hair has two nodes of the tip, and the following reasons are the cause of this condition.
Improper Use of Brush
Overuse of Tools
The Usage of Hard Water
Improper Use of Hair Products
Poor diet is the cause of split ends internally, and is most often done accidentally by most individuals; healthy nutrition is essential for healthy hair.
Over exposure is the primary enemy of hair when outdoors, they include pollution, dust, sunlight, and chemicals when styling your hair.
The inappropriate use of a brush or comb for hair, in fact, can lead to the buildup of damage to the hair tips, especially if it is done continuously.
Excessive use of hair dryers, hair curlers or straighteners, as well the heat may cause permanent damage to hair follicles that lead to split at the ends of the hair.
Hard water such as chlorine contained water can lead to split ends; it can be found at the pool. Thereby limit the use of this type of water to wash your hair.
Hair products such as shampoo, gel, serum, and conditioner, in reality, can lead to split ends, particularly if they are harsh and used excessively.
The Symptoms of Split Ends
Split ends generally splitting hair fibers lengthwise, it occurs in the middle of a hair strand that manifests as a loop, in which it occurs in the same hair strand as well. There are a few common symptoms accompanying the split ends, which are.
- Strands of your hair tend to be more tangled when you try to comb or unknot it.
- Generally, there is a discoloration on the tip of your ponytail.
- Every fiber of ends of your hair strand may look thinner and begin to lose its brightness.
- Your hair has an uneven length and tends to meander in the ends.
- You may have small “Y” shapes at the end of your hair that signifies your hair suffering from split ends.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Split Ends
Trimming the ends of the hair is the fastest way to get rid of split ends, however, this method is not always an appropriate way when it comes to getting a long hair growth. Instead, you may apply some home remedies that can reduce and control the symptoms of split ends and yields similar effect.
Aloe Vera took first place when it comes to the treatment of damaged hair. It is a great healing agent for various beauty issues. For damaged and dry hair which leads to split ends, aloe Vera works as a natural moisturizer that reduces split ends and encourages the growth of healthy hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe Vera gel – sufficiently. (ii) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (iii) Oils – castor, olive or jojoba (sufficiently).
- Take the gel from one or two leaves of aloe Vera, use it to massage your hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Allow it to stay on your hair for 30 minutes and wash your hair with shampoo afterward.
- You can create a more potent concoction, by mixing the aloe Vera gel and two tablespoons of either olive, jojoba or castor oil and one tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Use the mixture as normally you apply the hair mask, followed by at least two or three times a week to get the better result.
Human hair is primarily made up of protein; thus it is appropriate to apply the eggs for damaged hair as it contains a number of proteins that can ensure adequate intake to strengthen the hair follicles. It is also rich in essential fatty acids and vitamins that promote shiny and smooth hair, as well as highly effective when dealing with split ends.
Ingredients you need: (i) Egg yolks – one. (ii) Olive oil – three tablespoons. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon.
- Mix the olive oil and honey into the beaten egg yolks. Use the mixture to cover your hair evenly.
- Allow it to stay for 20-30 minutes followed by a wash out of your hair with a mild shampoo.
- You could replace the olive oil with almond oil and treated in the same way.
Note » Brush your hair before applying a mask to prevent bad tangles, and apply it once a week regularly.
Avocado is loaded with various sources of vitamins (A, E, D), magnesium, folic acid, protein and essential fatty acids, all of which are very useful to enrich and nourish the hair, as it works as a natural conditioner that locks shiny hair and prevents split ends.
Ingredients you need: (i) Avocado – ripe one. (ii) Olive oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Coconut oil – two tablespoons.
- Make a paste by mixing avocado, olive oil and coconut oil. Mix evenly to form an emulsion like a creamy consistency.
- Apply the paste to all over your hair except the hair roots.
- Allow it to stay for 30 minutes and rinse off your hair followed by shampoo as normally you would.
- Perform this routine on a weekly basis or at least three times for one month
Although it may sound unusual, beer is an effective remedy when it comes to damaged hair. It is an excellent source of protein and sugars that are useful for treating damaged hair follicles and helps control the split ends. It also acts as an effective conditioner that improves the volume and shine to your hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Flat beer – sufficiently. (ii) Shampoo.
- The beer is suitable for all hair types, just shampooing your hair as you normally want.
- Fill a spray bottle with flat beer and spray onto your hair, from the mid to the end of the wet hair.
- You do not need to rinse and do it once a week.
Note » You may notice that the smell of the beer is gone while your hair dries after for a moment.
People use mayonnaise as a flavoring for some types of food such as sandwich or salad; it is one kind of sauce made from eggs, vinegar and vegetable oils. Mayonnaise is an easy solution when it comes to dry hair, split ends and dandruff, other than that it gives a feel of softness, healthy and shiny, as the oils conditioning and the eggs nourish your hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mayonnaise – ½ cup. (ii) Shampoo.
- Wet your hair and dry with a towel. Apply the mayonnaise to your hair thoroughly.
- Allow it to stay for 30 minutes and wash your hair with shampoo afterward. Repeat this process once or twice within a week.
Note » This treatment is appropriate when you can bear for bad smell of your hair for days after mayonnaise usage.
Banana gives a miracle when dealing with damaged hair. It restores the natural elasticity and reduces the damage to the hair due to split ends. It is rich in zinc, natural oils, iron, potassium, and vitamins (A, C, and E) that promote growth, softness and moisture of your hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Banana – one ripe. (ii) Plain yogurt – two tablespoons. (iii) Rose water – one teaspoon. (iv) Lemon juice – one teaspoon.
- Put the banana, and the rest of the other ingredients into a blender and crush it to form a creamy consistency.
- Apply the mask on your hair, especially from the middle to the end of the hair. Allow it to stay for one hour and rinse thoroughly with cold water.
- Repeat this process once or twice within a week.
Hot Oils for Conditioning
Applying hot oils on the hair is the oldest home remedies and most effective way to treat hair damaged due to split ends. It works by conditioning your hair, which in turn restores the moisture and reduces the split ends. You can see the beautiful transformation of your hair with regular use of hot oils as a conditioner.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oils – olive oil, coconut oil, almond oil, or castor oil. (ii) Mild shampoo.
- Choose one of your favorite oils, and slightly heat the oil for 20 seconds. Use a microwave if you have one.
- Use the oil to gentle massage of your scalp and leave for at least an hour.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo and repeat once weekly.
Note » Adding a few drops of essential oils (rosemary, sandalwood) is also acceptable after heating the base oil.
You may discover all the good things of nutrients, such as amino acids, vitamins, proteins and anti-oxidants in a papaya. It helps nourish hair, reduces split ends and adds volume to your hair. It is a delicious way to get healthy shiny hair free from split ends.
Ingredients you need: (i) Papaya – one ripe. (ii) Plain yogurt – sufficiently.
- Take the flesh of the ripe papaya and add ½ cup of the plain yogurt. Stir the mixture to form a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on your hair thoroughly and wait for 30 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with cold water followed by shampooing.
Honey works as a moisturizer and a natural conditioner for the hair, it has the properties of a humectant (attracts moisture) and is rich in various nutrients; accordingly it is very useful for dry and damaged hair that susceptible to split ends. It also acts as a great agent for radiant and soft hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – two tablespoons. (ii) Warm water – sufficiently.
- Prepare four cups of warm water and add the honey into the water. Use this mixture to rinse the hair after shampooing.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and rinse off with cold water again. Repeat this process once in a week.
Whole milk is a great moisturizing agent when it comes to damaged hair when it combined with the cream, they work to moisturize the hair in a distinct way, and make your hair supple and soft, and frees your hair from split ends.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cream – one tablespoon. (ii) Whole milk – ½ cup.
- Mix the cream and milk in a small container. Dampen your hair with water and then rinsing with a mixture of cream and milk.
- Allow it to stay for about 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with water followed by shampooing as normally you would.
- Repeat this process once a week to get a silky hair.
How to Prevent Recurrence of Split Ends
The application of home remedies will not be useful when you avoid preventive measures; accordingly, it is advisable for you to follow the steps below to keep your hair healthy and beautiful.
- Increase the intake of foods rich in protein, such as eggs, dairy, yogurt, cheese, and nuts.
- Use protection to your hair when it exposed to sunlight, a scarf or hat is enough or apply for serum protection against the sun.
- Applying a mild shampoo or conditioner regularly to get the strong and soft hair.
- Avoid the use of chemicals to treat the hair, including straightening, hair coloring, and blow dryer.
- Wash your hair with cold water and cut the hair tips whenever possible.
- Do not forget to brush or comb your hair properly, avoid excessive brushing on the hair.
- How to Repair Damaged Hair Fast and Naturally
- How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair Naturally at Home
- How to Get Rid of Dry Hair Fast and Permanently
- How to Get Rid of Greasy Hair Fast Overnight Naturally
All these home remedies may take longer than a week, even a few months, but they have been tested by time and is completely natural to get rid of split ends, so be patient.