Have you ever been stuck in a situation where you were in the middle of person you wanted to impress, but you had to pass gas or burp immediately? Surely you were trying to avoid it right? Almost everyone had experienced the stifling situation. Although it may seem embarrassing, yet it is just a normal phenomenon that may affect some people from time to time.
Stomach gas is the main reason behind the emergence of such situation. It occurs because our bodies get a significant amount of gas as a result of the foods we eat, the air we breathe and the beverages we drink. Nowadays, there is a significant increase of the stomach gas due to some changes in lifestyle such as the type of food people eat and sedentary for some people.
Normally, people can make the right amount of gas, but when there are influences of several factors either externally or internally, the buildup of gas becomes excessive, and allowing for gas to stay in the stomach for quite some time. Passing the gas, or more commonly known as Flatus is the easiest way to eliminate the stomach gas, but when the gas production exceeded the reasonable amount, it may result in pain and some unpleasant situations.
Indigestion problems or eating some particular foods can lead to the buildup of stomach gas trapped in the intestine. To resolve this condition, you may come up with some home remedies available which have been proven to help relieve the discomfort due to an accumulation of gas in the stomach.
What Causes The Stomach Gas?
The buildup of stomach gas in the abdominal area can lead to gas pains in the chest. The gas pains can lead to discomfort; thus, it is imperative to cure this condition perfectly by knowing some of the possible causes of the gas pains in the first place. Here are a few of them.
- For those of you who love carbonated beverages such as soft drinks your beer, you need to reconsider to reduce your intake, as it can cause excessive gas formation in the stomach.
- Undigested food accumulates in the colon and fermented by bacteria in this area, the process of fermentation causes the gas to accumulate.
- Certain types of food such as high fiber foods are usually difficult to digest, which causes a buildup of the gas eventually.
- The problem of constipation can lead to a buildup of gas and bloat.
- If you have any allergies or intolerance to certain foods, it can encourage the gas build up in the stomach.
- Reduce the habit of gulped while eating, as it can lead to a buildup of gas in the stomach.
- Avoid the habit of eating too quickly, as it can trigger a pile of gas in the stomach and reduce the quality of your overall health.
- Fresh vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, onions and sprouts have the potential to cause flatulence.
That was some of the causes of the buildup of stomach gas, some of them come from our foods, while the others due to our habits when eating and drinking.
What Are The Symptoms Of Stomach Gas?
The stomach gas may indicate a group of symptoms the same way as other medical problems, once you know the symptoms, it is easier for you to obtain the right treatment for the gas pains. Here are a few of them.
- Having abdominal pain which makes the stomach feels tightness, and this is the most common symptoms of stomach gas.
- The stomach feels bloating and frequent belching occurs.
- Loss of appetite for foods.
- Passing the gas that exceed normal.
- Having chest pain, although this symptom may indicate a serious illness, yet it is one of the symptoms of stomach gas.
Normally, gas pain is not a serious condition and it easily to pass on. However, some diseases such as appendicitis, gallstones, and stomach ailments yield the similar chest pain. Hence, one must ascertain the underlying cause of gas pains. If the stomach gas is frequently accumulated, it may indicate a more serious illness.
How to Get Rid of Stomach Gas Fast
Removing the excess buildup of gas in the stomach is not a daunting task. There are numerous proven methods to reduce the stomach gas and treating gas pains at once. You can find some of the common and efficient ways in the following elaboration.
Take Lie Down Position
When you find yourself attacked by feeling of discomfort as a result of accumulation of excess gas in the stomach, all you have to do is:
- Lie down for a few moments while elevating the position of your head.
- Remain in that position until you feel relief from the discomfort in your stomach.
Take a Few Positions to Reduce the Stomach Gas
Some of the following positions proved to be very helpful in removing gas from the digestive system.
- Kneel on your head and let the buttocks facing upwards. With the position of the head is facing down, it allows for the gas to pass out of your stomach.
- Lie down and breathe in slowly, and at the same time press the legs toward your stomach, force the gas out while breathe out.
- When you consider doing the routines, make sure that your stomach is empty from any food and beverages.
Regular exercise is very useful to improve overall health, including digestive system to work efficiently and faster. It also helps in reducing the excess gas in the stomach.
- If you dislike or have no time to exercise, simply walking at least thirty minutes a day is a big help also to the digestive system.
- Conducting more physical activity during the days is strongly recommended, and never sit too long in front of the computer.
Eat slowly can provide an opportunity for the digestive system to work more efficiently, thus the buildup of gas in the stomach can be reduced.
- It is medically proven to prevent the intake of air into the stomach which potentially causes the gas.
- Chewing your food properly and carefully, it is very helpful in preventing the formation of gas in your intestines.
Reduce Carbonated Beverages
Carbonated beverages such as soda and beer, known as the common causes of the stomach gas. Reduce its intake to reduce the gas as well. When you drink such beverage, it may lead to:
- Increasing the gas accumulation that leads to lots of discomfort.
- Such beverages intake also increases the potential for pain in the chest.
Stress is the most common cause of health disorders. You cannot avoid stress, but you need to reduce it to prevent the digestive problems.
- It is a good idea to reduce stress by finding the underlying cause of the stress.
- Managing stress by running the silence like meditation or yoga may also very helpful.
Reduce the Intake of Certain Foods
Certain foods are known to cause the formation of the gas in the stomach, you can look for them in the previous paragraph.
- Foods that difficult to digest can increase the chance of the buildup of gas pains in the digestive tract.
- Reduce such foods for minimizing the risk of a buildup of the gas in the stomach.
Apply Heating Pad
Heat can cause your stomach muscles to relax and relieve the pain from the buildup of gas in the intestines.
- Using a heating pad on your abdomen may help in this problem. Make sure to wear protective clothing layer to avoid any possible of burning.
- Taking a warm bath whenever you have spare time is a big help too. It offers a similar effect with a heating pad.
Home Remedies for Stomach Gas
You can apply some of the fast and efficient ways earlier when you find yourself in the condition of gas pains. Regardless of these methods, it requires additional home remedies to prevent the recurrence of the symptoms.
Drink Adequate Water
Water is the source of all goodness to get a healthy life. Healthy water intake can help to heal the gas pains that accumulate in the stomach.
Ingredients you need: (i) Water – sufficiently.
- Adding fluids intake into the body can help eliminate undigested foods from the colon towards outside of the body.
- Consuming high fiber foods also require large water intake to push undigested food particles away from the colon and prevent the formation of the gas.
Drink Ginger Tea
Ginger is very helpful to resolve many health problems. It also a delicious choice to improve digestive problems and eliminate the accumulation of stomach gas, as it has excellent anti-inflammatory properties.
Ingredients you need: (i) Ginger – sufficiently.
- Peel off a slice of raw ginger, wash it off and add to your food, or you can chew it directly.
- If you dislike the raw ginger taste, simply crush a few slices of ginger and put it into a glass of boiling water.
- Wait for 5 minutes, add a little honey and drink it while still warm.
Note » This method is a great relief for taking down the stomach gas buildup.
Lemon and Honey
Lemon is rich in citric acid that helps reduce stomach gas problems. It is proven to helps break down the foods in the gut which cause the buildup of gas. While honey works as an anti-inflammatory that reduces the pain in the abdomen, and cutting fat from the unwanted areas in your body.
Ingredients you need: (i) Warm water – one glass. (ii) Lemon juice – ½ tablespoon. Honey – one tablespoon.
- Mix the warm water, honey and lemon following the initial dose.
- Stir well and drink it regularly, especially after waking up in the morning to help reduce the problem of gas pains.
Hot beverages such as chamomile tea and peppermint tea are very useful in resolving the problem of stomach gas. They are known as pain relief agents, which contribute for relieving various symptoms of pain, including the pain from gas.
Ingredients you need: (i) Hot water – one cup. (ii) Chamomile tea – one tea bag. (iii) Peppermint tea – one tea bag.
- Put the tea bag either chamomile or peppermint in a glass of hot water. Leave it on for five minutes and add a tablespoon of honey.
- Drink it regularly to help the digestive process to work effectively.
Yogurt carries all the goodness of friendly bacteria for digestive health, it contains probiotics that are proven to help fight against bad bacteria in the digestive tract. Eat yogurt regularly can relieve stomach gas buildup as well.
Ingredients you need: (i) Yogurt – sufficiently.
- Consume 1-2 cups of yogurt every day to stabilize the digestion, and relieve pains gas.
- If you liked the taste of sweet, simply add fresh fruits to the yogurt, it is better than eating yogurt with flavoring.
Papaya contains the enzyme of papain which is very useful for improving digestion process. Eating papaya on a regular basis can prevent a pile of gas in the stomach as the papaya helps the digestive system to work more efficiently.
Ingredients you need: (i) Papaya – fresh one.
- Take a fresh papaya, peel it off and cut it into several medium slices.
- Eating the slices of papaya every day before breakfast or late afternoon to help digestion process and eliminate the stomach gas buildup.
- You can eat fresh papaya or make it as a mixture of smoothies.
Baking soda dissolves in the water and can be easily absorbed by the intestine. It helps eliminate the effect of undigested foods, as the baking soda encourages the burping when it mixes with water, thereby reducing excess stomach gas that causes the chest pain.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – ½ to 1 teaspoon. (ii) Warm water – ½ glass.
- Place the baking soda in warm water and mix evenly to dissolve completely.
- Drink this solution once every four hours or depending on the severity of your condition.
- Apply the solution only for adults and should not exceed 5 teaspoons daily.
There are many reasons behind the formation of stomach gas. Not only cause the discomfort but it can lead to any pain in the upset stomach and chest if left untreated. Try one of the listed treatments and apply one that works best for your stomach gas problems.