Most people are rarely noticed about their own belly button. However, the belly button also has potential in health problems when it gets infected.
The belly button infection is a common condition that affects people of all ages, especially for those who have a pierced belly button or with a deep belly button. This type of infection mostly caused by microorganisms such as fungi and bacteria.
The belly button may turns into moist, warm and dark if not treated properly, where this is a good place for the growth of microorganisms, leading to infections in the navel along with the symptoms such as pain, tenderness, itching, swell, redness and the appearance of pus and a foul odor in the navel.
If there is an excessive scratching in the infected area, it will result in a thick yellowish or greenish discharge as a result of secondary bacterial infection and may trigger to the bleeding in the navel as well.
There are several reasons behind the emergence of belly button infections, including.
- Individuals bad hygiene habits
- The buildup of sweat, soap and other substances in belly button cavity that provides a place for the growth of bacteria and fungi.
- Surgery that involve belly button like a navel piercing.
- Diseases and physical changes such as diabetes, sebaceous cysts and obesity.
- Exposure to harmful ultraviolet of the sun rays.
- For newborns, the problems associated with the navel occurs since the baby’s umbilical cord falls in the first week which resulted in small amount of bleeding and discharge.
If you find a navel infection occurs in severe condition, the best way is to use antibiotics prescribed by a doctor.
However, if the infection is still in the development stage, you can use prevention home remedies to treat the problem of the infected navel. Here are some natural ways to heal the belly button infection.
Salt able to assist in absorbing the moisture in belly button and cure the infection. While warm salt water solution will improve the circulation of blood around the infected belly button area and acts as a natural disinfectant.
- Prepare a cup of warm water and add a teaspoon of salt, stir evenly.
- Dip a cotton ball into the solution and use it to clean the infected area.
- Apply a water-based anti-bacterial cream which can be obtained at a drugstore, if required.
- Repeat once or twice a day until the infection disappears.
Note » You can also get a ready-made saline solution at the local drug store in your city.
You can apply anti-bacterial soap when taking a shower to prevent the development of bacteria in belly button. Drying out thoroughly and do not let the belly button becomes moist after bathing. Apply a water-based anti-bacterial cream afterwards.
Applying a warm compress may help to relieve the pain and discomfort due to infection of the navel. The heat from compress also improves the blood circulation around belly button that helps in healing.
- Dip a washcloth in warm water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place the cloth over your belly button for a few minutes until the washcloth turns cold.
- Repeat several times a day to reduce discomfort.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has natural antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-fungal properties which make it effective for preventing and cure the belly button infection. Take 5 drops of tea tree oil and mix with a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Apply on top of infected belly button using a cotton ball and rub gently.
- Wait for 10 minutes and wipe with a clean cloth afterwards.
- Repeat 2 times a day every day until the belly button back to health.
Because it has antiseptic properties, you could use rubbing alcohol to prevent the spreading of infection, clean the infected area as well as reduce the irritation and pain.
- Dip a cotton ball in a small amount of rubbing alcohol.
- Apply on the affected area and leave for a few minutes.
- Repeat several times a day for several days ahead.
White vinegar is known to have acidic content, which is useful against infection and prevent the spreading.
- Mix one teaspoon of white vinegar and two teaspoons of warm water, add more if necessary.
- Apply to the affected area using a cotton swab and wait for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with clean water and repeat several times a day until the infection subsided.
Having the nature of anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and hydrating, making calendula very effective to relieve itching and irritation caused by navel infections and plays a role in healing faster.
- Create extract juice from.
- Crushed three leaves of calendula.
- Apply to the infected area.
- Perform 2 to 3 times a day.
Note » In case you have difficulty in getting calendula flowers or leaves, you may use readily calendula ointment or lotion which you can buy at the local drug store.
Pure lavender oil is highly recommended to heal the navel infections, because it works very well as a natural antiseptic and prevent things worse around the navel.
- Use a cotton bud and dip into the pure lavender oil.
- Rub it around the infected area with the up and down movement.
- Do this several times a day for several days until the infection healed.
- Avoid excessive scratching at you navel because it will make the infection worse.
- If you are suffering from an infection, you should postpone swimming activities in a pool that contains a lot of chlorine.
- Limit the touching the infected area to prevent spreading.
- Include garlic as your daily diet as well as foods containing vitamin C, zinc and antioxidants naturally.
- If you like a navel piercing, make sure it is only done by professionals. Use a ring made of stainless steel instead of nickel.
All the previous treatments are taken from substances that are friendly when applied on your skin, if the infection does not show significant improvement, the best way is to go straight to the doctor to get proper medication.