Do you have the itchy scalp that requires constant scratching? Well, this condition is embarrassing, and certainly creates a lot of inconveniences and yield hair loss as well.
The causes of itchy scalp are dry scalp, dandruff and anxiety and some external causes such as improper hair care, poor diet, etc. But the dryness of the scalp is the leading cause itching on the scalp.
What is Dry Scalp?
When your scalp is getting dry, it will usually appear white flakes and scales incurred by the scalp. If this condition left untreated, it might cause further damages to the hair. Dry scalp caused by the loss of moisture, then the appropriate treatment needed is to restore the moisture of the scalp.
What Causes Dry Scalp
Scalp resembles the skin on other parts of your body, when it lacks moisture, the scalp becomes vulnerable, and you will feel itchiness. The common causes of dry scalp, including.
» In winter, the humidity turned into low.
» Your scalp loss of its moisture.
» The use of sulfate-based cleaning products.
» The temperature of outside and inside has a significant difference.
Rapid Home Remedies for Dry Itchy Scalp
You can apply some of the following home remedies when it comes to dry scalp. Home remedies have many advantages that do not cause any reaction.
Aloe Vera for Dry Scalp
Aloe Vera gel is noteworthy as one of natural home remedies for dry scalp solution and relieve itchiness as well, and it is because the natural moisturizing properties contained in aloe vera gel.It also makes aloe vera gel is highly effective in preventing scaly scalp and nourishing your hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera – sufficiently. (ii) Mild shampoo – sufficiently.
- Apply fresh aloe vera gel directly on your scalp while gently massage using your fingers.
- Allow the gel to settle on the scalp for 10-15 minutes to allow the nutrients absorbed by scalp perfectly.
- Wash off your hair using your favorite mild shampoo afterwards.
Lemon Juice for Dry Scalp
When you are thirsty, lemon juice is a favorite beverage to rejuvenate your body. Lemon juice is rich in vitamin C and has antiseptic properties which are very useful for treating dry and itchy scalp caused by fungi or swelling; also, it curbs the buildup of dead skin cells and cure scaly scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Mild shampoo – sufficiently. (iii) Yogurt – optional.
- Flush your hair with clean water and rub your wet hair with a towel to moisture.
- Squeeze of lemon juice and pour it all over your hair, rub the lemon on your scalp in a circular motion.
- Leave the lemon on your scalp for about 5 minutes.
- Wash off your hair with your favorite mild shampoo.
- You can also add yogurt into the lemon juice to improve the dry skin healing properties. Apply as the above method before applying a gentle shampoo on your scalp.
- Repeat this process each day until you get relief from your dry scalp issue.
Coconut Oil for Dry Scalp
Coconut oil is one of the home remedies which works as a barrier to the loss of moisturize of the scalp. It helps in keeping the scalp remains moisture, thereby the dryness of the scalp can be treated easily.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Mild shampoo – as per required.
- Wash off your hair with clean water as usual then dry with a towel.
- Apply coconut oil on your scalp, while doing soft massage on it.
- Wait for about a half an hour, you can perform other activities in your house while waiting.
- Wash your hair again, but this time use shampoo to clean the remaining dirt and coconut oil on your scalp.
- If you do not have much time, you can add coconut oil into the shampoo and use it to wash your hair as usual.
- Perform this routine three times a week to achieve better result.
Apple Cider Vinegar
If you have difficulty in finding lemon in the market, you may use apple cider vinegar instead. This product is readily available in the market.
The content of apple cider vinegar is similar to lemon in which it has anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. No wonder that it can treat dry scalp and reduce the itching of the scalp due to viral and fungal infections.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Towel – clean one. (iii) Water – sufficiently. (iv) Mild shampoo – proper one.
- Wash off your hair with clean water and gently rub your hair with a towel to let it dry afterwards.
- Mix some water and apple cider vinegar in the same comparison, you can adjust the volume with the thickness of your hair.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and apply throughout the scalp.
- Gently massage you scalp for at least 5 minutes to allow the mixture to be absorbed by the skin.
- Rinse off your hair using a soft shampoo to clean any residue that may attach on your scalp.
- Perform once a day until your scalp is clean from the scales and dryness, as well as your hair are smooth and shine.
Note » You can also dilute the apple cider vinegar and warm water at a ratio of 1: 3, apply before bed and wash your hair thoroughly when you wake up in the morning.
Tea Tree Oil for Dry Scalp
Tea tree oil is one of the natural home remedies which known to be very effective for treating dry scalp and relieve itchy scalp.
The anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties of tea tree oil plays a role in curing any scalp issues. Besides tea tree oil also gives moisturizing to the scalp that keeps it away from the dryness. This oil applied in many different ways.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – sufficiently. (ii) Baby shampoo – one-half cup. (iii) Vegetable oil – optional.
- Use one-half cup of baby shampoo to wash your hair every day, but do not forget to add 10 to 20 drops of tea tree oil into the shampoo.
- You can use this daily routine until you are relieved from scalp dryness.
- Dilute around 4 drops of tea tree oil into one tablespoon of vegetable oil as another alternative.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp while doing gentle massage so that the oil is absorbed completely into the scalp.
- Allow them to stay for at least one hour and wash off with a mild shampoo afterwards.
- This treatment will cure itchy and dry scalp issues in one or two weeks if it performed regularly.
Baking Soda for Dry Scalp
For those of you who are always struggling with culinary, baking soda would be familiar to you, not only as an ingredient in cakes, but baking soda also provides tremendous benefits to the health of the scalp.
It works by reducing the buildup of dandruff due to active fungal and reduce the itching due to flaking of the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – a few teaspoons. (ii) Warm water – sufficiently. (iii) Olive oil – optional.
- Take a few teaspoons of baking soda and mixed with warm water to make a paste.
- Apply the paste directly into on your scalp while gently massage on your scalp.
- Additionally, you can apply olive oil prior applying the paste to enhance the result.
- Wait for 10 to 15 minutes to allow the paste absorbed by the scalp.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with water afterwards.
Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame oil is applicable as a lubricant for the scalp, it also provides nutrition and heal dryness of the scalp. Make it effective to relieve itchiness of the scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sesame oil – sufficiently. (ii) Towel – clean one. (iii) Shampoo – mild one.
- Take one tablespoon of sesame oil and heat until warm slightly.
- Apply sesame oil to the entire scalp and massage gently with your fingertips in order to be absorbed perfectly.
- Wrap your hair with a hot towel and leave for 10 minutes.
- Remove the towel and let the oil remains on the scalp all night to provide moisturizing on the scalp.
- Wash off your hair with shampoo as usual in the morning.
- Perform this treatment every day as necessary.
Avocado for Dry Scalp
Avocado is rich in minerals, vitamins and natural oils, in addition to providing the health benefits, avocado also serves to eliminate the problem of hair and dry scalp. It makes your hair shiny, smooth and soft naturally.
Ingredients you need: (i) Avocado – whole one. (ii) Olive oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon.
- Take the avocado flesh, add two tablespoons of olive oil mix with one tablespoon of honey.
- Blend all the ingredients to form a paste.
- Apply the paste to your scalp directly, do not forget to gently massage on your scalp.
- Wait for half an hour and then rinse off your hair with clean water.
Witch Hazel for Dry Scalp
Witch Hazel known to be very effective to relieve itchiness and dryness on the scalp, because it is rich in natural astringent properties.
If you always perform hair coloring or blow drying, then this herb is very suitable for the condition of your hair and scalp.
Ingredients you need: (i) Witch hazel – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Simply mix water and Witch Hazel with a ratio of 2: 1.
- Apply the mixture on your scalp while massage thoroughly.
- Allow the mixture for a few minutes and wash off your hair afterwards.
Jojoba Oil for Dry Scalp
Jojoba oil is scientifically known to have a molecular structure similar to our natural oil or sebum. It becomes a natural treatment for rejuvenation and hydrated on the scalp; also, it works as a natural moisturizer to get rid of the itchiness and dryness of the scalp effectively.
Ingredients you need: (i) Jojoba oil – a small amount. (ii) Mild shampoo – sufficiently.
- Take a small amount of jojoba oil and apply directly to your scalp before bedtime.
- Gently massage your scalp to optimize the absorption of the oil.
- Let the oil remains overnight and wash off your hair with a mild shampoo in the morning.
- Do this routine once a week.
More Useful Tips to Get Rid of Dry Itchy Scalp
If the problem of dryness of the scalp resolved, you should apply some the following tips in case you do not want to be visited by dry scalp problems later on.
Avoid Hair Care Contained Alcohol
Apply Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner
Limit the Use of Dryer
The heat in the dry season usually results in dandruff and dryness of the scalp, always use a headscarf or hat when you are outdoors.
Beauty and hair care products available in the market generally alcohol contained which may cause damage to the hair and scalp. Use water-based beauty products instead.
Reduce the dry scalp using conditioner and moisturizing shampoo.
Doing regular massage on your scalp may help in reducing the itchy and dryness of your scalp. Use oil that contains vitamin E and B for better results.
The dryer can make you hair and scalp to dry since it removes your scalp’s moisture.
You see, to restore the moisture of your scalp, simply use the ingredients available in the kitchen. The onset of winter may cause a dry scalp. Cold temperatures make your scalp dry, but the home remedies can solve this problem.