The eye is one of the important organs of the human body which has a delicate in texture and helps us to enjoy the beauty of the world.
It works by capturing light reflections onto an object; hence the eye is certainly sensitive to the light exposure (Photoreceptor), just as it also sensitive to any foreign objects exposure such as dust, pollutant, and dirt, as it comes into direct contact with the outside world just as with our skin.
This situation allows the eye to get irritated due to such external factors, and one of which is the incidence of Itchy eyes. Having itchy eyes can irritate and reduce your freedom in your daily activities.
Although itchy eyes usually do not pose any threat to the eyesight, yet its appearance may increase the level of anxiety and frustration in a person, as well as becoming one source of severe irritation to the eyes.
Why are my eyes itchy? An individual will easily get exposed to the itchy eyes, whenever he/she lives in an environment with full of dust, dirt and pollution that lead to allergies and irritate the eyelids.
Therefore, itchy eyes are in fact is a common underlying symptom of allergies that can also manifest as red itchy eyes, itchy dry eyes, itchy watery eyes, swollen eyes, blurred vision, difficulty breathing, sneezing and wheezing.
Itchy eyes certainly affect the quality of everyday life which causes an unpleasant itchy sensation either in or around the eyes. It can lead to recurring and severe itchy eyes when individuals have unhealthy habits to rub and touch their eyes.
If you currently have any of the symptoms of itchy eyes, you need to give certain treatments to provide instant relief to your eyes, you also need to know the underlying itching causes in the following elaboration.
- The Itchy Eyes Causes
- Symptoms of Itchy Eyes
- How to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes Using Natural Remedies
- Additional Useful Tips for Preventing Itchy Eyes
The Itchy Eyes Causes
It is necessary for digging out the underlying cause of the itchiness in the eyes, whether it is a result of illness or diseases or allergies, the purpose is that it may help us for getting the proper itchy eyes treatment, if you have any of them, you have the potential to suffer from itchy eyes.
Dryness of the Eyes
Suffering from Certain Diseases
Hygiene of the Eyes
Exposure to the sun not only causes you to have dry skin but more than that, it may result in dryness of the eyes that lead to the itchy eyes.
People with certain diseases such as eczema, allergic rhinitis, and asthma are prone to suffer from itching of the eyes.
The eye disorder called Blepharitis  may also cause itchy eyes. Certain skin conditions and bacteria can lead to infections that produce Blepharitis and fortunately it is not contagious.
Blepharitis makes the eyelids get itchy, scaly, and dry and in more severe cases, you can find the itchy eyelashes fall out, and within a few days, they can grow back with an irregular condition.
Giving a priority to hygiene of the eyes is a must, especially when you decide to put contact lenses as a visual aid. Improper hygiene when using contact lenses can lead to conjunctivitis and itching of the eyes.
Several external factors may also cause allergies, such as allergies to pollen, and allergic to improper cosmetic products that lead to red and itching of the eyes.
Pet fur and climate change can also act as a trigger that increases the risk of allergies and the onset of itchy eyes.
Symptoms of Itchy Eyes
There are also some of the main symptoms which are the reasons of itchy eyes that can be tangible as:
Inflammation of the Eyelids
Inflammation of the Conjunctiva
Discharge of the Eye
Over Sensitive to the Light
When you find yourself having red watery eyes constantly, it is possible that you may also experience itchy eyes. Never rub your eyes as much as possible.
Burning sensation, especially around or inside the eye due to certain conditions can cause severe itchy eye.
Infected eyelids will turn inflamed if left untreated; this inflamed condition is prone to the onset of itchy eyes.
The conjunctiva is a thin layer of the eye that protects the sclera (the white area of the eye). When this layer is inflamed, it can cause itching of the eyes.
The discharge of the eye is normal, as it is the natural mechanism of the eye to perform cleansing of dirt, bacteria, and germs that may irritate the eyes, it also protects the inside of the eye against invasion any foreign objects.
However, if there is an excessive discharge of the eye, there is a possibility of the eye is suffering from irritation and red that lead to itching of the eyes.
Basically, the eyes are light-sensitive organs (photoreceptors). However, due to certain conditions, the light receptors of the eyes are sometimes subject to excessive sensitivity that may cause itchy eyes.
By understanding the common causes and symptoms of itchy eyes, now you can determine the appropriate treatment that works effectively for the itchy eye relief.
How to Get Rid of Itchy Eyes Using Natural Remedies
Consult with an Ophthalmologist or eye specialist is a quick solution for itchy eyes. Usually, the doctor may allow you to consume the prescription of antihistamine medications in the forms of eye drops, oral, and decongestants for itchy eye relief as a result of common allergies.
Thus, the most effective way to keep yourself away from itchy eyes is by avoiding those allergens. However, if you already suffer from this itchiness due to various causes of itchy eyes, there are home remedies that are available to help you in relieving redness and itching in the eyes. Here are a few of them;
Salt and Water Solution
Utilizing salt and water which can be found easily in almost every kitchen is one of effective methods to get rid of itchy eyes. The combination of water and salt acts as a natural anti-bacterial agent, in which you can apply this solution as an eye rinse and effective to relieve inflammation and irritation of the eyes.
It is also useful for cleaning the buildup of allergens and debris of the eyes, killing bacteria causing itching and redness, and create clear eyes with no remaining impurities.
Ingredients you need: (i) Water – one cup. (ii) Salt – one teaspoon.
- Boil a teaspoon of salt in a cup of distilled water, let the salt dissolve completely, wait for a few minutes.
- Let this solution cool down to room temperature and apply it to rinse your eyes for instant relief.
- Repeat this rinsing at least twice a day to get rid of itchy eyes and accumulation of debris in the eye.
Note » Avoid using tap water, because it has chlorine content and harmful chemicals that can cause eye irritation.
Cucumber juice provides benefits for a number of health-related problems. Some individuals take cucumbers as a natural source to relieve complaints around the eyes and reviving their skin in one application.
It contains a number of vitamins necessary to maintain the daily body functioning. You may find Carbohydrates, Vitamins C, Folic Acid, Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6, and Minerals like Calcium, Zinc, Potassium, Iron, Magnesium, and Phosphorus.
With all of these special ingredients, they can form anti-irritating properties that help reduce swelling, inflammation, irritation that contribute to itchy eyes.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cucumbers – sufficiently. (ii) Refrigerator – proper one.
- You can start by washing the cucumber, cut the cucumber into a few thin slices.
- Place the cucumber slices into the refrigerator and leave for at least 20-30 minutes until the slices contain a cold temperature.
- Now you can lie on your back and place this cold cucumber slice on top of each of the eyelids. Leave for at least 10 minutes.
- Repeat this same procedure 3-4 times a day to get rid of itchy eyes as a result of irritation or inflammation of the eyes.
Aloe Vera Gel
For many people, they must already know that aloe vera is a miracle plant that could easily be found in most of the yards. It has been used for dealing with any health and beauty problems either externally or internally due to its detoxifying and superb healing properties.
Aloe vera contains moisturizing and soothing properties that are quite useful to get rid of itchy eyes. In addition, it also can be used in many different ways to reduce eye puffiness, dry eyes, and inflammation.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera leaves – sufficiently. (ii) Elderberry blossom tea – ½ cup. (iii) Honey – one teaspoon.
- Take one or two leaves of aloe vera and extract its juice. Mix the juice into ½ cup of Elderberry Blossom tea, and add a teaspoon of honey. Stir the mixture evenly afterwards.
- Use this solution to rinse the affected eye, repeat the process at least twice a day.
- Perform this rinse every day until your itchy eyes problem solved.
Cold Milk Compress
Everyone would agree that milk is good for our bones because it is a good source of calcium which helps with certain diseases such as osteoporosis. In addition, milk is the main source of nutrition for children, which contains a pH in the range of 6, 6 to 6, 7 which is good for digestion.
The pH value of milk is influenced by protein, citrate and phosphate content in milk. However, more than that, milk can also be applied as part of the daily skin regimen, because it has soothing and softening properties, which is certainly quite useful to get rid of itchy eyes.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cold milk – sufficiently. (ii) Cotton ball – clean ones.
- For the purpose to get rid of itchy eyes, you need to pour a cup of cold milk.
- Dip a clean cotton ball into cold milk, and use to rub around the eyes until the irritation subsides.
- You can also apply milk as an eye compress, just lie down and place the cotton ball over your eyelids, leave for about 20 minutes to get the instant cooling effect.
- Perform the same procedure twice a day, and at least one hour before bed during the allergy season. Milk compress also is proven effective to relieve puffy eyes and red eyes.
Rosewater is one of the many essential nutrients for the skin rejuvenation, which is widely used by many women of generations to get a soft and radiant skin. Due to its content of anti-inflammatory, astringent and antiseptic properties, making it also known as one of the most efficient home remedies for itchy eyes.
It works as a great cooling and soothing agents which promote natural healing to get rid of itchy eyes; it also provides instant relief due to redness and swelling of the eye. You can take benefits of rosewater in several different ways.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rosewater – sufficiently. (ii) Distilled water – sufficiently.
- Pour a few drops of rose water into a cup of distilled water and stir it evenly, and use the solution to rinse your eyes
- Repeat this same procedure twice a day to get rid of itchy eyes and redness.
- Alternatively is to apply 3-4 drops of rose water as a simple eye drop, although it is not the best eye drops for itchy eyes, at least it will help to reduce the itching and redness problems in the eyes.
Fenugreek seeds have been used for many recipes in the Middle East and the Far East for the last hundreds of years. It comes from the plant Trigonella Foenum-Graecum which is a member of the legume family.
They gain momentum as one of the remedies that refer to Ayurveda and become one of the most popular herbal seeds in the natural health world. Therefore, according to Ayurveda, fenugreek seeds are also providing a soothing and calming effect which acts as a quick relief when it comes to itchy eyes.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fenugreek seeds – sufficiently. (ii) Cold water – sufficiently.
- Simply take some fenugreek seeds and soak them in a cup of water for at least 8-10 hours.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds and add sufficient water to make the smooth paste. Apply the paste over your eyes and allow it to stay for 20 minutes to get rid of itchy eyes.
- Wash off your eyes with cold water afterwards and repeat this process twice a day until you are relief completely from itching eyes.
The Slice for Raw Potatoes
Potatoes provide many uses when it comes to any beauty treatments. It is a highly nutritious vegetable that is widely used in many recipes. Potato is rich in anti-inflammatory properties, in addition, it also contains a number of essential nutrients containing several trace minerals, enzymes, acids, and compounds that benefit for skin and health.
Potato is also able to act as a great soothing agent that promotes natural healing for any of your eye concerns, including getting rid of itchy eyes, as well as helping to relieve the redness and inflammation.
Ingredients you need: (i) Potatoes – sufficiently. (ii) Refrigerator – proper one.
- Take one or more raw potatoes and peel the skin thoroughly. Cut the potatoes into a few thin slices, but not too thin.
- Enter the potato slices into the refrigerator and wait for approximately 20 minutes. Take the potato slices afterwards.
- Now you can lie down and place the potato slices over your eyes, leave for approximately 15 minutes to provide instant relief.
- Perform this process twice a day to get rid of itchy eyes, as well as relieving the swelling or inflammation that you may also have.
Green Tea Rinse
Green tea is the most popular herbal beverage in Asia for centuries, in Latin it is called Camellia Sinensis, and derived from evergreen shrubs, which have a common origin with black tea.
People find the benefits of green tea in many different ways, both internally and externally, because green tea has powerful antioxidants (Proanthocynadin and Catechin), including rich in anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, green tea is also known to be very effective to act as a soothing agent to get rid of itchy eyes.
Ingredients you need: (i) Green tea bags – sufficiently. (ii) Distilled water – sufficiently.
- You can make an eye wash by soaking two bags of green tea in a cup of hot distilled water.
- Allow the green tea to cool completely by waiting for a few minutes.
- Use this solution to flush your eyes to obtain fast relief of itching eyes. Repeat this process 2-3 times a day for several days until the itchy eyes subside.
Drink Carrot Juice
When talking about the eyes, carrots become an interesting topic to say. You certainly remember how your mother compelled you to consume carrots in many different ways when you were a child. It is not surprising as carrots contain significant amounts of essential nutrients required for the functioning of the eye.
Carrot is a primary source of Vitamin A and Beta-Carotene; besides, it also contains other essential nutrients such as vitamin B (Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Niacin, Thiamine, and Folate), vitamin E (Alpha-Tocopherol), and vitamin K. With all the essential nutritional content of carrots, you can get rid of itchy eyes easily just by consuming carrot juice, without flushing your itchy eyes or course. You may also have spinach juice instead of carrots for the same itchy eyes remedy.
Ingredients you need: (i) Carrot juice – sufficiently. (ii) Spinach juice – sufficiently.
- Take some fresh carrots to extract the juice. Drink the carrot juice twice a day to get rid of itchy eyes.
- Spinach juice can also be a great help to dissipate the symptoms of itchy eyes, simply consume spinach juice taken from some fresh spinach. Repeat several times a day as your daily regimen, the same as carrot juice.
- You can also combine the carrot juice with spinach juice in one container, and consume it regularly to get relief from your eye problem.
Note » You may also have some benefits for your skin, bones and hair by consuming carrot juice regularly.
We put the cold compress as the last easy method to get rid of itchy eyes. The cold compress is not just effective to relieve itching or redness of the eyes, but more than that, it is also an effective remedy when your eyes are swelling or having the dark circles.
Simply by preparing cold water and a soft cloth and you are good to go. If possible, you may also involve chamomile tea in the remedy of itchy eyes for more effective results.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cold water – one basin. (ii) Soft cloth – clean one.
- Prepare the cold water, preferably cold distilled water in a small basin. Take a soft cloth and soak it in cold water and squeeze out the excess water.
- Place a soft cloth over your eyes and leave it for a few minutes to reduce itching and redness of the eyes.
- You can also place a chamomile tea bag over your eyes, once you have put the tea bag into the refrigerator until it gets cold.
- Perform this compressing process 3-4 times a day to get rid of itchy eyes.
Additional Useful Tips for Preventing Itchy Eyes
As you apply one of those home remedies for itchy eyes, which may accompany by other symptoms of eye disorders such as redness and irritation, you also need to consider the preventive measure to anticipate the onset of itchy eyes.
Taking a Good Rest
Maintain the Cleanliness of Your Environment
Avoid Eye Rubbing
Take a Shower
Adequate resting may reduce the risk of any disorders around the eyes, such as baggy, fatigue, and dark circle eyes, as well as itchy eyes. A good rest will look after your eyes.
Always keep the cleanliness of the place where you live. Clean sheets, pillow covers and other parts of your home that are easily exposed to dust or pet fur if you have one. Use a vacuum cleaner to make your jobs easier.
Do not forget to clean the ventilation system in your home, if you have AC, always clean the AC filter periodically to prevent the allergens from entering the room. Avoid smoking indoors with if you have a bad ventilation.
Rubbing is a bad way to transfer any dirt into your eyes. Rubbing the eyes can increase the production of Histamine which makes the itchiness more severe. Make sure your hands are completely clean by washing them with soap, in case you need to make contact with your eyes.
Taking a bath is imperative when you return from the outside, especially during the allergy season. Never let the allergens fall off the mattresses, blankets or any furniture once you are exposed to allergens from outside the room. Use a dryer to dry out your clothes instead of hanging-dry outside which is easily exposed to pollen.
- Top 10 Natural Ways to Get Rid of Dark Circles Overnight
- How to Get Rid of Baggy Eyes Fast and Naturally
- Top 10 Home Remedies to Get rid of Black Eye Naturally
However, there are times when you find the condition of the itchy eyes are getting worse because there are some underlying conditions that required special attention. For this reason, there is no other way than to see an Ophthalmologist to find a solution for your case.