Summer is coming, and everyone was happy, the time when all the vacation plans will be carried out, the time of year people can enjoy the blue sky, fishing, warm weather and swimming along with the loved ones. Many outdoor activities can be carried out during the summer. However, all these activities could potentially cause a sunburn and become a common problem during the summer.
Sunburn is the onset of skin inflammation as a result of the sun’s ultraviolet rays. Too much exposure to UV rays can cause skin damage because of the UV rays (UVA and UVB) has the ability to penetrate deep into the skin layers, leaving the painful, blisters, irritation, inflammation and redness on the skin. It could potentially to permanent skin damage, and even cancer if left untreated.
The symptoms of sunburn require at least five hours or more to appear. Thus, you probably would not notice in the first place. Having a sunburn may not result in damage to your health permanently. However taking the necessary actions once you get a sunburn is essential to prevent a severe peeling skin and reduce the risk of Melanoma (a type of skin cancer).
- Best Ways to Overcome Sunburn
- Effective Home Remedies for Sunburn Relief
- More Tips When Dealing with Sunburn
Best Ways to Overcome Sunburn
During the summer, sunburn probably unavoidable, what you need to do is to take precautions to avoid the sunburn. It is advisable to wear loose clothing to cover up your body, as well as a hat and sunglasses for outdoors. Applying sunscreen to restrict the exposure to UV rays and to stay out when the sun is strongest.
Effective Home Remedies for Sunburn Relief
However, sunburn can invade your skin without you realized it. You can try to apply home remedies to get rid of sunburn, by reducing some of the symptoms accompanying, such as inflammation, stinging, and redness. Here are a few of them.
Honey acts as a natural moisturizing agent that promotes skin rejuvenation and relieve inflammation due to sunburn. The antibiotic content present in honey also known to heal the infection and prevent damage to the skin which may arise.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – sufficiently.
- Simply spread a thin layer of honey on the affected area of the sunburn, and allow it to dry out naturally.
- This application gets absorbed into the skin to reduce pain and accelerate the healing process. Follow this process three times a day for a week.
- Mix one tablespoon of honey into a glass of water and drink every day to enhance the immune system.
Did you know in tropical regions, coconut oil is widely used as an application of sunscreen? Yes, it is because coconut oil has the ability to protect the skin from the sun’s heat. For this reason, coconut oil becomes an effective home remedy for sunburn relief.
Coconut oil is loaded with nourishing fatty acids that work as a natural moisturizer which encourages replacement of the lost natural oils of the skin due to sunburn. It also reduces the symptoms of discomfort, speed up the healing process and helps reduce the inflammation that comes with the sunburn. The skin easily absorbs coconut oil; thus it provides faster results when it comes to healing sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Lavender oil or aloe vera – optional.
- Take some coconut oil and warmed slightly in the microwave.
- Apply the oil on the sunburned areas and conduct gently massage in a circular motion.
- You may add a few drops of lavender oil or a small amount of aloe vera gel to improve the effectiveness of the herb.
- Follow this home remedy three times a day for several days to obtain sunburn relief.
Note » Applying the coconut oil once you get a sunburn may hinder the healing process. Apply cold compress before application or wait at least for one day.
Cool Water Compress
We cannot ignore the role of cold compresses when it comes to healing any heat, whether it is the heat that comes with fever or due to certain external factors such as the sun or room temperature, cold compresses encourage a decrease in body temperature when it applied properly.
The cold compress helps reduce inflammation caused by sunburn because it works to constrict the blood vessels. It becomes the first relief against sunburn before you apply any remedy for redness, blisters or skin irritation due to sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Ice cubes – sufficiently. (ii) Soft cloth – clean one. (iii) Water – sufficiently.
- Take a few ice cubes and wrapped in a soft cloth. Place the compress on the affected area for a few minutes.
- You can dip a soft cloth into a bucket of cold water and use it as a compress.
- Alternatively, you can have a cold shower once you get a sunburn.
- Follow this treatment at least three times a day for several days. You can follow up with some home remedies as normally you would.
Note » Never place the ice cubes directly on the burned areas, it may worsen and damage to the skin.
People take cucumber as a great healing agent due to the water content present in the cucumber has helped resolve many health problems. Imagine, containing 96% of water, there is no other reason for the cucumber to retreat as a remedy for dry skin due to sunburn.
It also contains many essential minerals including folate, vitamin A and C, molybdenum, potassium, silica, manganese which are useful to accelerate the healing process. While anti-inflammatory properties present in the cucumber helps get rid of irritation and redness caused by sunburn. Therefore it is very effective to heal sunburn and accompanying symptoms.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cucumbers – sufficiently. (iii) Cold water – sufficiently.
- Make a few slices of the cucumber and rub on your skin, especially the burned area. Leave for at least 30 minutes.
- You can also make a thick paste of the cucumber and put into a blender, add some rosewater. Apply the paste to the affected area and leave for 20 minutes before rinsing thoroughly with cold water.
- Alternatively, you can soak a clean cloth in cucumber juice and use it as a compress.
- Follow this remedy at least twice a day for several days to get some relief from sunburn.
Witch hazel is an herbal plant which in a Latin name referred to Hamamelis Virginiana. Witch hazel constitutes natural astringent that helps reduce excess oil, shrink skin pores and relieve inflammation.
It also contains significant amounts of Tannins and Catechins that are useful to shrink the blood vessels, which in turn reduces swelling. Moreover, witch hazel contains cooling properties that can be applied to reduce irritation and inflammation due to sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Witch hazel – sufficiently. (ii) Soft cloth – clean one.
- Place the sufficient witch hazel into a small bowl and take a soft cloth to dip into the bowl.
- Apply the soft cloth on the burned area, and leave for a few minutes.
- Repeat this process several times a day for the next few days.
Lavender Essential Oil
Essential oils constitute healthy nutrition for the skin, the analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties present in essential oils relieve irritation and pain in the skin due to sunburn. You can come up with lavender oil in this regard. Lavender oil facilitates skin rejuvenation, accelerate the healing process and get rid of the symptoms accompanying sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lavender oil – sufficiently. (ii) Damp cloth – clean one. (iii) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently.
- Take a damp cloth and pour a few drops of lavender oil on top of it. Use a cloth as a compress to the burned area and leave for 5 minutes.
- You can also mix a few drops of lavender oil and aloe vera gel sufficiently, apply liberally on your skin.
- Alternatively, pour a few drops of lavender oil into a bowl of water, soak a washcloth and use it as a compress.
Soothing and cooling constitute two properties of the remedy necessary to alleviate any heat due to sun exposure. Marshmallow root meets the two previous criteria, plus it is a slippery ingredient as well, making marshmallow as a complete herbal demulcent.
The content of pectin, mucilage, and sucrose present in marshmallow root offering to heal of pain and inflammation by bringing the protective layer on the skin damage. Hence it is one of the effective herbal remedies to get rid of sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Marshmallow root – one handful. (ii) Hot water – two cups or sufficiently.
- Boil a small bowl of water and place two teaspoons of dried marshmallow root into the water. Allow steep for 10 minutes.
- Strain the solution and wait for it to cool completely. Dip a soft cloth in the solution and use it as a compress on the area of sunburn.
- Allow it to stay for a few minutes, repeat the treatment at least twice a day or more for several days.
Papaya and Honey
The mixture of papaya and honey bring the wonder in healing sunburn. Papaya contains significant amounts of essential enzymes to enhance the healing process of irritation and redness of the skin. Honey, facilitating a better skin moisture and repair damaged skin. Adding oatmeal may also increase the efficacy of the treatment.
Ingredients you need: (i) Papaya – one cup chopped. (ii) Oatmeal powder – two tablespoons. (iii) Honey – one tablespoon.
- Mash the papaya to form a thick paste, add oatmeal and honey as well.
- Mix the mixture evenly and apply the paste on your burned skin. Allow it to stay for 30 minutes and rinse with cold water afterward.
- Repeat this treatment twice a day for several days to recover from sunburn.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is widely used for topical application because it acts as a natural astringent which is useful for soothing the burning sensation due to sunburn. Vinegar also contains acetic acid, which helps relieve inflammation and itching and effectively speed up the healing process. All of these great contents, making vinegar as one effective solution to get rid of sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Washcloth – clean one. (iii) Coconut oil – as per required.
- Prepare diluted apple cider vinegar and dip the cloth into the solution. Apply the damp cloth as a compress on sunburned skin.
- Allow it to stay for a few minutes until you feel relief from the burning sensation due to sunburn.
- You may apply the coconut oil as a natural moisturizer.
- For a rapid application, pour a cup of apple cider vinegar into the bathtub and use to soak or shower.
- Alternatively, you may store the diluted apple cider vinegar into a spray bottle and spray onto the affected area, repeat several times a day.
Note » Never apply apple cider vinegar on a wounded skin.
Cornstarch certainly widely used in many cooking stuff, however, who would have thought if this type of flour can also be applied for a beauty treatment. Cornstarch helps heal skin redness, itching and burning sensation due to sunburn. Cooling properties present in cornstarch prevent inflammation of the skin and get rid of the irritation; therefore it is very useful to cure sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cornstarch – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Mix the cornstarch and water in a sufficient amount to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste on the sunburned area and leave for at least 30 minutes to diminish the pain.
- Wash off with cold water afterward, and follow this treatment three times a day for fast relief of sunburn.
Yogurt accelerates the healing process for sunburn, as it is a nutrient rich ingredient that is useful to repair skin damage. Soothing properties contained in yogurt works to get rid of irritation, itching and redness of the skin due to sunburn.
Ingredients you need: (i) Yogurt – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – as per required.
- Apply fresh yogurt to sunburned skin area liberally. Allow the application for perfectly dry before rinsing thoroughly with lukewarm water.
- You can also mix yogurt, barley and turmeric powder in equal amount to form a paste. Spread the paste on the affected area and allow it to dry.
- Rinse thoroughly with cold water afterwards and follow this treatment twice a day for several days.
More Tips When Dealing with Sunburn
There are a few additional tips that you need to consider along with the application of home remedies for sunburn. They are meant for the prevention in the first place surely, or during the treatment.
Drink Adequate Water
Take Cold Shower
Apply Skin Protection
Avoid Harsh Rubbing
Avoid Sun Exposure
Avoid Harsh Chemicals
Keep your body and skin hydrated is important, thus drink at least 5-8 glasses of water to maintain the skin moist.
The cold shower is the first aid to sunburn; it is also useful to get rid of all irritants in the skin. If you apply soap, use a mild soap to avoid the possibility of irritation.
Protecting the skin from sun exposure is imperative to prevent sunburn, apply sunscreen topically (with a minimum SPF of 15) 30 minutes before leaving the house. Wearing a wide-brimmed hat or long sleeves can also be accepted for skin protection.
Applying a moisturizer is very useful for preventing further damage, choose a gentle moisturizer according to your skin type.
Rub the skin harshly is not permitted for the skin during suffer from sunburn. It can lead to blisters and peeling off skin. Therefore pat dry or caressing is preferable.
The sun is very strong during 11 a.m. to 3:00 p.m., avoid going out during these hours to prevent the potential for sunburned skin.
Avoid using petroleum jelly, lidocaine, and benzocaine, as they can potentially cause the problem worse. Also, never go for a bubble bath as it may exacerbating the situation as well.
- How to Get Rid of Sunburn on Your Face Fast
- Natural Ways to Get Rid of Redness on Face
- Effective Ways to Get Rid of Sunspots on Face
- How to Get Rid of Tan Lines Fast
In the case of sunburn has caused blistering, peeling or severe damage to the skin, you need to consult a dermatologist because these conditions can potentially cause permanent damage to the skin.