Have you ever found that your hearing is suddenly reduced even muffled? In many cases, hearing problems have nothing to do with the ability to hear due to aging, but a clogged ear mostly cause it.
These conditions are not only annoying but also painful. Your ears may feel itchy, popping sensation in your ears, the windy sound and you feel to have mucus in your ears.
Before you see the doctor, it is better that you read some of the causes associated with a clogged ear, they are not diseases, only some of the conditions that lead to a clogged ears.
When the Eustachian tubes inside your ears do not work perfectly, you may get clogged ears. It is the passage that connects the ear and nose, serve to regulate and equalize the air pressure between the middle ear and the pressure outside the ears. You may found some other causes for clogged ears, below.
What Causes of Clogged Ears
There are few things as the major causes of clogged ears, and some of them are natural phenomena, such as sudden change of air pressure inside ears while traveling in an airplane and more of them, including.
» Common Eustachian tubes blockage.
» Ear Wax buildup.
» Having an Infection of sinus.
» Having an allergy.
» Suffering from a clogged nose.
» Common cold.
» Water buildup within the ear.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Clogged Ears
For addressing the clogged ears, you can use some home remedies that are effectively proven to open up clogged ears. Clogged ears caused by several different things, thus it is necessary to know what the cause of clogged ears to get proper treatment.
Olive Oil for Clogged Ears
Olive oil is very effective to relieve ears congestion resulting in a buildup of wax in the ears. It helps to soften the earwax; hence, you can retrieve it easily.
Ingredients you need: (i) Pure olive oil – ¼ teaspoon. (ii) A dropper.
- Warm the olive oil.
- Point your ear hole, upwards.
- Use the dropper to put a few drops of olive oil into the ear.
- Let stand for 10 minutes and then tilt your head in the opposite direction.
- Remove oil and ear wax with cotton buds.
- Do this carefully and ask for the help of people close by if needed.
Note » You can use baby oil or mineral oil instead of olive oil.
Warm Water Flush for Clogged Ears
Flushing ear with warm water can be applied to help release the clogged ears, here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Warm water. (ii) An ear syringe.
- Take the ear syringe and put the warm water into it. Point your ear upwards by tilting your head.
- Place the syringe into the ear hole, slightly up and do not get too far into it. Squeeze the bulb syringe so that warm water flowing into your ear canal.
- Wait for 10 minutes to allow warm water to dissolve the ear wax. Change the position of your head with the ear hole facing down.
- Let the ear wax and warm water comes out naturally, use an ear bud to clean up.
Warm Compress for Clogged Ears
The use of warm compress for various needs of health care is known for decades, and it is a natural treatment that is effective in treating ear congestion, sinus congestion, or a cold.
We take the heat from warm compress to loosen the congestion, either in the ear or nasal passages.
Ingredients you need: (i) A bowl of warm water. (ii) Washcloth or towel.
- Put the washcloth into warm water for a few minutes. Dispose the excess water by squeezing the washcloth .
- Attach the washcloth to the affected ear and let stand for 10 minutes. This will ease the pressure and open up the clogged ears.
Note » You can wrap a hot water bottle with a towel and then apply to the affected ear for 10 minutes.
Perform Valsalva Maneuver
Conducting Valsalva maneuver may help you to relieve clogged ears. This method is quite easy and simple to relieve pain and clogging inside of your ears. Follow this instruction.
- Pinch your nose with your fingers but not too hard. Take a deep breath and gently blow your nose to adjust the air pressure.
- You will hear a small popping sound if you do it correctly. It means the Eustachian tubes are open again.
Note » You should not blow your nose too intense because your eardrum may experience permanent damage.
Take a Steam Inhaling for Clogged Ears
Why inhaling steam may help relieve clogged ears? It is because clogged ears symptom is usually caused by a buildup of mucus inside the nasal cavity due to a cold. Inhaling steam is an easy way to loosen mucus and relieve symptoms of a cold which in turn help to reduce a clogged ear. Here’s how easy to do inhale the steam.
Ingredients you need: (i) A large bowl with hot water. (ii) Essential Oils – Lavender or Tea tree Oil. (iii) A towel.
- Put the steaming hot water into a large bowl. To add the efficacy and a sense of comfort, you can add a few drops of lavender oil or tea tree oil into the bowl.
- Hover your nose over the bowl and inhale the steam deeply. To increase the effectiveness of the treatment, cover your head with a towel.
- Perform this inhale until you get relief from a clogged ears.
Note » Go for a hot shower for a few minutes is known to help in relieving a clogged ears as well.
Perform a Yawning
Did you know, by yawning or swallowing, you help lower the air pressure in the ears? This helps the opening of the Eustachian tubes (the tube that connecting the middle ear to the nasal passages) and assist the relief of a clogged ears.
- Perform the movement as if you are yawning, open your mouth until you hear a little pop sound in the ear.
- Repeat this process until you can hear a slightly pop clearly.
Gargle with Salt Solution
Clogged ears have a strong connection with nasal passages. When you have a stuffy nose, likely your ears clogged as well. Warm saline solution that is used for gargling will help to relieve stuffy ears resulting from nasal congestion.
Ingredients you need: (i) Salt – 1 teaspoon. (ii) Warm water – 1 glass.
- Place the salt into the warm water. Mix evenly, use this solution to gargle for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Dispose solution from your mouth and repeat the gargle until you are free from a clogged ears.
Apple Vinegar and Alcohol
If you have a clogged ears resulting from a buildup of earwax, you can use a simple solution that is made from apple cider vinegar and isopropyl alcohol to break up the earwax, besides this solution also help to destroy all types of bacterial infections that accompany the clogged ears. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Alcohol. (ii) Apple cider vinegar. (iii)Cotton ball and dropper or pipette.
- Make a solution from alcohol and apple cider vinegar in equal amounts. Put the solution into the dropper, and put a few drops of solution into your ear canal.
- Don’t forget to tilt your head so that the solution is not spilled and perfectly absorbed by your ears.
- Place a cotton ball on the tip of ear hole and leave for 10 minutes to allow the solution to break up the ear wax.
- Clean the earwax with ear buds afterwards.
Ear Wax Softening Solution
A mixture of several ingredients from hydrogen peroxide, baby oil and glycerin are the perfect combination to soften the ear wax buildup.
Ingredients you need: (i) Hydrogen peroxide. (ii) Baby oil and glycerin. (iii) Dropper.
- Mix the three ingredients from baby oil, glycerin and hydrogen peroxide in the same amount. Drip a little from the solution into the ear canal with a pipette.
- Let the solution absorbed by the ear wax and you will hear a hissing sound which means that the solution is working to break up the ear wax.
- When the sound is stopped, it’s time you tilt your head in the opposite direction to drain the solution out of the ear.
Note » Use this solution no more than 3 times a day or else it can harm your ear drum and don’t use in case you have an ear infection.
Chewing Gum or Candy
When the air pressure suddenly changes, it is resulting in clogged ears. It usually found when you are traveling using an airplane.
You get the clogged ears when the plane is taking off or landing. The solution is quite simple, try chewing gum, because chewing can encourage the muscles inside the mouth to open up the Eustachian tubes and reduce excessive air pressure inside your ears. Thus the clogged ears opened eventually.
If you still have a stuffy ears or sore after applying these tips, see your doctor for further treatment.