Hair coloring can make a person has a different and latest appearance. Not surprisingly, many people are always changing their hair color. It has become a trend that will always be adhered, because it provides a quick change of appearance for those who apply the hair dye; moreover, it is also supported by the hair color trends that come and go every year, making people getting pampered with a wide selection of colors.
It is inevitable that hair dye is the main ingredient for hair coloring. However, the safety of the hair dye is still questionable, as the chemical substances within the hair dye can lead to breakage. Therefore, the excessive use of hair dye should be avoided to give a chance to your hair restoration.
You might have done a hair coloring, but sometimes, the result is not always as expected, such as the hair that looks too dark. Dark hair is very sultry, even though it is a chic color, not everybody can suit with the dark hair.
If you’ve decided to try black hair, but did not like it, or you currently have dark or black hair naturally, you may choose to lighten dark hair to change your look and style currently.
However, before resorting to use artificial products, think first to avoid the harsh chemical lighteners, use more natural ways to get the same result. We have some natural ways on how to lighten dark hair at home without compromising its quality.
Rapid Home Remedies to Lighten Dark Hair
Applying homemade lightening may prevent you from chemical substances exposure contained within synthetic dyes. Moreover, it has the advantage that can be implemented without bleaching first.
On the other hand, it is much less expensive than lightening at the store, besides you may use it more than once without worrying about damaged hair. Here are some natural methods to lighten dark hair.
Lemon provides a myriad of benefits for health and beauty treatments; including for lightening the black or dark hair. Lemon juice is rich in citric acid and antioxidants that give citrus aroma also lightens faded colors or dark hair. It is one of the best ways to lighten your hair also make your hair beautiful shine.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – one small bowl. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Squeeze the juice of four lemons and place in a small bowl.
- Add a small amount of water to dilute and apply the solution throughout your hair.
- Gently massage the scalp and expose your hair under the sunlight for about 15 minutes. Wash off your hair afterward.
- This method should not be applied to delicate or damaged hair, because the acid content of lemon may aggravate hair breakage.
Note » Please remember to repeat the lemon juice therapy for once a week only, as it is a powerful lightening and may lead to hair turned white, when used excessively.
Baking soda (“sodium bicarbonate”) provides a variety of exceptional benefits for beauty and health, including very useful for hair care.
It serves to strip your hair from a buildup of chemical substances, which we usually get from shampoos, conditioners and hair dyes. Another benefit that we get from baking soda is that it can work as a lightening agent for your dark hair as well.
Ingredients you need: (i) Baking soda – two tablespoons. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Prepare the baking soda mixed with water in moderation, place in a bowl and mix evenly to form a smooth paste.
- Extend the paste on your hair and scalp thoroughly, and let stand for half an hour. Rinse off with cold water afterward.
Note » Keep in mind that this remedy may take a little longer, but by applying for once a week on a regular basis, it may yield a significant result.
For those who love different kinds of beauty treatments, chamomile tea is certainly familiar with them. Well, chamomile tea is a natural herb that has been used for thousands of years to cure various health complaints, since chamomile tea has extraordinary healing properties.
For those who understand the basis of beauty, chamomile tea becomes the first trick that they may use. It provides an easy way to lighten the tone of the hair without damaging it, making this tea as an excellent lightening agent for the dark hair. In addition, when applied to the hair, it can make your hair look radiant and beautiful.
Ingredients you need: (i) Chamomile tea bag or flowers – sufficiently. Water – one cup.
- Prepare boiling water and steep the chamomile tea bag in a cup for 10 minutes.
- Wait until the tea water turned cold. Once it is cold, use it for rinsing off your hair and let it stand for 15 minutes.
- You may repeat two or three times of the rinsing before washing or shampooing your hair to get the extra lightening.
You are certainly hard to imagine that vinegar can be used to treat skin and hair to stay healthy. In fact, vinegar helps remove residual dirt, and buildup of chemical substances in the hair dyes as well as make the hair looks radiant.
Long before the hair masks commercially available, our ancestors had used vinegar to lighten the dark tones of the hair. Now, we can also use vinegar to achieve the same effect. It takes a little time to work, but if it performed regularly, the results would be as expected.
Ingredients you need: (i) Vinegar – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently.
- Make a solution consisting of one part vinegar mixed with six parts of water to dilute the vinegar. Alternatively, ¾ of a glass filled with water; and the rest is filled with vinegar.
- Stir the mixture evenly and use it to rinse the washed hair. Leave for 15 minutes then wash your hair with cold water.
Note » Choose apple cider vinegar for this purpose, as it works well with the smell a little bit better. Repeat at least three times a week.
Honey and Olive Oil
For those who have dry or damaged hair, the potion made of honey is an excellent choice to enhance lightening to the dark hair.
Honey is a great lightening agent as it contains a small trace of hydrogen peroxide, whereas olive oil and cinnamon can help maintain your hair from the dryness as well as enhance the lightening effect. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Raw honey – one cup (find it at the health food stores). (ii) Apple cider vinegar – two cups of distilled. (iii) Olive oil – one tablespoon. (iv) Cinnamon powder – one tablespoon.
- Mix all the ingredients which have been prepared, stir well and apply to the damp hair.
- You may use a comb to make sure that the mixture has applied properly on the affected area.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or towel and leave overnight.
- Rinse thoroughly your hair in the morning, and does not need to bask in the sun.
Avocado Hair Mask
The abundant nutrients present in an avocado make it as one of the healthiest fruits available. It is rich in fiber, healthy fats, minerals, protein, carbohydrates and vitamins, and all of them needed by the body.
When avocado is used for the treatment of hair, it helps keep the moisture in your hair naturally. It is a perfect agent to reduce the tone of the dark hair as well as makes the hair more lustrous. For those who have dry hair, look no further than avocado mask.
Ingredients you need: (i) Avocado – ½ portion. (ii) Olive oil – sufficiently. (iii) Lemon juice – sufficiently.
- Make a paste made of pureed avocado plus a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Apply the paste as a hair mask normally. Leave for half an hour and rinse your hair with water afterward.
Egg White Mask
Egg whites can be a great option available when it comes to the hair care, it is an easy solution to overcome the problem of your hair, as the egg white contains many nutrients such as high protein content or referred to as “Albumen”.
The treatment based on the egg whites are very suitable for those suffering from extreme hair loss and splits, but they also want the hair lightening and make the hair healthy at once. To accomplish the fantastic result, we can make the recipe by combining egg whites along with the vinegar and lemon juice.
Ingredients you need: (i) Egg white – one. (ii) Lemon juice – ½ of lemon. (iii) Vinegar – ½ cup of distilled.
- Mix the egg white and vinegar, stir the mixture well and add the lemon juice afterward.
- Apply this mixture as a hair mask, or apply to the wet hair. Gently massage the scalp and your hair and wait for 15 minutes.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with fresh water afterward. Repeat this trick once in a week, and notice the result within a month.
Cinnamon has a similarity with honey; it contains a small trace of hydrogen peroxide, and it will not give dryness to your hair. Consequently, cinnamon can act as a natural lightening agent for your dark hair. Cinnamon is available in most department stores, or maybe you already have it in your home kitchen drawer. In addition it smells incredible.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cinnamon powder – sufficiently. (ii) Conditioner – sufficiently.
- Use the hair conditioner to coat your hair, but before that you have to add a bit of cinnamon into the conditioner.
- You may use a comb to make sure that the mixture is spread evenly. Use a shower cap or towel and leave overnight. Wash off your hair first thing in the morning with a mild shampoo.
- This mixture can be used many times as it is perfectly safe to get the lighter hair.
Massaging the scalp with oil is a simple yet effective way to relax and improve the hair condition. It helps to encourage the activation of micro-circulation of the skin, if mixed with lemon, it can lighten the dark hair and makes your hair soft and shiny.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive oil or coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Lemon juice – sufficiently.
- Take olive oil or coconut oil as necessary, and add a little of lemon juice.
- After shampooing your hair, apply the mixture to the hair roots immediately while gently massage your scalp.
- Let stand for 5 minutes and rinse off your hair with fresh water.
You can use rhubarb to increase the color tone of the hair; therefore, you can take it as a lightening agent for the dark hair. Rhubarb can grow easily during the summer; otherwise, you can also obtain rhubarb in the grocery market or local farmer.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rhubarb – ¼ cup chopped. (ii) Water – two cups.
- Boil two cups of water and place the rhubarb. Allow the water to cool perfectly.
- Strain the water and use it to rinse the dark hair. Leave for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water.
Additional Tips to Lighten Dark Hair
Bright and beautiful hair is everyone’s dream, here are some additional tips that you can apply to achieve this objective.
- If you find damage to your hair, it is important to repair it first before apply any hair lightening therapy.
- If you have decided to use dyes to lighten your hair, ask a professional to use less chemical dyes.
- Avoid excessive use of curling irons, dryers or hot water when rinsing, because the hair which often exposed to high temperatures are more susceptible to gray prematurely.
- You may also lighten black or dark hair with the help of hydrogen peroxide.
- The hair that often exposed to chlorine and sea water tends to decrease the darkness level of the color.
- The use of lemon and chamomile to lighten the hair should only be applied for once a week. Excessive use may lead to gray hair.
In addition, the dark hair also has brassy and red undertones, while the process of lightening may bring out the undertones, which is resulting in the lightening dark hair becomes more difficult, especially if the person does not apply the hair bleach first.
You may apply these methods without anyone’s help, however, in case you want a more stunning result, ask someone with professional experience to handle this process, especially if you are really blind about how to lighten dark hair.