Most women assume that rosy lips still become a standard of beauty they should have, even though it is not the standard personally but socially it seems to be so. Not surprisingly, when individuals have dark lips, they will try to lighten them, because we agree rosy lips is the attraction of a woman’s beauty.
The reason behind the appearance of dark lips may derived from genetics, but there are also some external causes which encourage the dark lips, and some of them are: smoking, hormone imbalance, caffeine intake, exposure to sunlight, allergic reactions, lip moisture levels, low-quality cosmetics, etc.
If you genetically possess dark tone lips, you still have the opportunity to lighten the lips by applying the appropriate cosmetics. For the dark lips due to external factors, we have some natural remedies that you may use to restore the brightness of your lips.
How to Lighten Dark Lips Naturally
There are many methods available near you when it comes to dark lips, in fact, you do not need to buy expensive products to take care of your lips. Instead, the home remedies are the perfect solution that can lighten your lips effectively. Here are among of them,
Sugar works as a great exfoliating agent to remove dead skin cells that contribute to dark lips and dull, besides, many people have recognized that sugar is very gentle in exfoliates lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sugar – three tablespoons. (ii) Butter or olive oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Honey – sufficiently. (iv) Almond oil – sufficiently.
- You may mix the sugar with butter or olive oil to form a thick paste. Take a bit of paste with your finger and gently rub your lips with it.
- Repeat the process once a week to restore the natural color of your lips.
- If you mix a teaspoon of honey, ½ teaspoon of almond oil and a teaspoon of sugar, you will get a special scrub for your lips.
- Apply the scrub to the dark and dull lips once a week.
I was one who loved the pomegranate, a fruit that has a delicious flavor and rich in antioxidants, polyphenols, and flavonoids. Within a glass of pomegranate juice can supply you with antioxidants which is even a lot more than green tea, grapes, and berries.
Pomegranate is also known to be very beneficial to restore the natural color of your lips, as it has a molecular structure that penetrates into the skin to retain moisture. Omega-3 fatty acids and punicic acid of pomegranate work by giving moisture to the skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Pomegranate seeds – one tablespoon. (ii) Rosewater – sufficiently. (iii) Milk cream – sufficiently. (iv) Beetroot juice and carrot juice – sufficiently.
- Crush the pomegranate seeds and mix with a small amount of rose water and milk cream to form a paste.
- Dab your lips with the paste while gently massaging with your finger for a few minutes. Rinse off your mouth with lukewarm water afterward and repeat the process each day.
- Alternatively, make a solution of pomegranate juice, beetroot juice and carrot juice in the same amount and with the help of a cotton ball, apply the mixture to the dark lips, repeat every day.
Another vegetable that can provide relief when it comes to dark lips is beetroot. Beetroot has natural bleaching properties, and it is rich in folic acid which helps lighten dark lips and stimulate the growth of new skin cells.
Accordingly, beet is an excellent way to get the rosy lips; moreover, beet improves blood circulation, it also contains vitamin A and carotenoids that contribute to the prevention of macular degeneration.
Ingredients you need: (i) Beetroot juice – sufficiently. (ii) Carrot juice – sufficiently.
- You can apply fresh beet juice on your lips. Do this before going to sleep and wash thoroughly in the morning.
- For a better choice, add the beetroot juice and carrot juice in the same proportion and rub it over your lips.
- Allow it to stay for about 10 minutes and rinse off with lukewarm water afterward. Repeat the process every day for about a week to get the natural color of lips.
Lemon is a delicious fruit which is become a favorite for many people, as it is rich in antioxidants and certain acids (e.g., citric acids and alpha-hydroxyl acids) which are very beneficial for the body.
Lemon is also helpful to lighten skin spots and dark patches, as its bleaching properties work as a natural skin lightening agent. Accordingly, lemon is also excellent to lighten dark lips in which it can work peeling off the top layer of skin of your lips safely.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon – sufficiently. (ii) Sugar – sufficiently.
- You just need a bit of extract of lemon juice and apply on your lips before you go to bed at night.
- Sprinkle some sugar on top of a slice of lemon and rub it on your lips to help exfoliates dead skin cells
- You may also mix half a teaspoon of lemon juice, honey and glycerin and apply on the dark lips before going to bed.
Note » Repeat these processes at least every day for a month or two to get rid of dark lips, be patient during the process.
If you have a bad smoking habit, you would have seen dark lips and wrinkles on the upper of your lips. You need strawberries as an ideal choice to address this condition.
It contains several essential minerals and a powerful antioxidant (ellagic acid) that help prevent damage to collagen, which in turn prevent the development of skin wrinkles. Moreover, strawberries can protect the skin to prevent skin damage as a result of exposure to UV rays from the sun.
Ingredients you need: (i) Strawberry or Raspberry – sufficiently. (ii) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently. (iii) Honey – sufficiently. (iv) Petroleum jelly – one tablespoon.
- Simply take a ½ tablespoon of strawberry or raspberry juice and mix with a little aloe vera gel and honey. Use the mixture to smear your lips and rub gently.
- Allow it to stay for 10 minutes and rinse with lukewarm water afterward. Repeat the process at least three times a week.
- You can also add two tablespoons of petroleum jelly with a tablespoon of strawberry juice and apply as a lip balm for twice daily.
Rose and all its derivatives products like rose water and rose oil are a great relief when it comes to dark lips. It contains some of the primary medicinal properties such as cooling, moisturizing and cooling, in which it will give you a beautiful and natural pink color on your lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rose – petal and water. (ii) Honey or milk cream – sufficiently. (iii) Butter – sufficiently.
- Mix one teaspoon of honey and a few drops of rose water and apply on your lips directly. Do it three times a day.
- Prepare a tablespoon of paste of rose petal and mixed with a teaspoon of butter and honey or milk cream.
- Mix all ingredients and apply on your lips. Repeat twice a week.
- For last choice, soak a few rose petal in milk and wait for an hour and then grind the petals to form a paste.
- Add a little honey and saffron and apply the paste on your lips, leave for 10 minutes and rinse with warm water. Repeat twice a day for several weeks.
Almond oil is the best source of various essential nutrients for the body; it is loaded with vitamins (E, B), antioxidants and certain minerals.
All the essential ingredients of almond oil is a great skin lightening agent, in which it can sweep away the blemishes, rashes, dark spots, and scars, thereby almond is very helpful to lighten dark lips. Almond oil is also become the first choice to protect the skin from damage due to UV rays from the sun.
Ingredients you need: (i) Almond oil – sufficiently. (ii) Honey – sufficiently. (iii) Castor or coconut oil – sufficiently.
- Make a mixture of one tablespoon honey and five drops of almond oil, then rub it on your lips and repeat whenever your lips feel dry.
- Mix almond oil and castor oil the same comparison and apply the mixture on your lips every day.
- Mix the same amount of almond oil and coconut oil and apply it on your lips prior to bed at night, wash off the next morning.
Note » You may also apply almond oil over your dark lips without additional ingredients to get the similar effect.
Olive oil is known to have many important nutrients to address various skin complaints; it contains moisturizing properties that nourish your lips stay smooth and beautiful. Accordingly, olive oil is a natural gift to make your lips rosy and free of dark lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive oil – sufficiently. (ii) Sugar – sufficiently.
- You may apply olive oil directly on your lips while gently massage of your lips. Do this process every night before bed.
- For a better choice, mix a few drops of olive oil with ½ teaspoon of sugar and use the mixture as a lip scrub. Repeat once a week.
If you want another type of oils that contain many essential nutrients as well, then the mustard oil is probably the answer. It is loaded with essential fatty acids (Omega Alpha 3 and Omega Alpha 6), antioxidants and vitamin E; thereby mustard oil is a great skin lightening agent that is very helpful for dark lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mustard oil – sufficiently. (ii) Coconut oil – sufficiently.
- Mix a few drops of palm oil with coconut oil and apply the mixture on your dark lips.
- Wait for a few minutes and then wipe off the mixture of oil with the help of a cotton ball. You may also rub mustard oil on your lips to get the similar effect.
Note » Perform a patch test to determine whether or not you are allergic to mustard oil.
Honey is known to as a natural moisturizer and has strong antiseptic properties which help restore the natural rosy and soften your lips. It is excellent for lips application who suffer from any infections, allergies and lose its moisture.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – sufficiently. (ii) Yogurt – ½ teaspoon. (iii) Gram flour – ½ teaspoon.
- Take a little bit honey and apply on your lips before going to bed, wash your lips with warm water in the morning. Repeat for a few days.
- You can also make a paste of each of yogurt, gram flour and ½ teaspoon of honey.
- Apply the paste on your lips thoroughly and wait for about 30 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water afterwards. Repeat the process once every day.
Additional Tips to Lighten Dark Lips
Some of the following prevention tips you may take to avoid the onset of dark lips. Some of them are usually a result of bad habits that we often conduct.
Avoid Chemical Products
Protect from Sun Rays
Avoid Licking Your Lips
Reduce Caffeine Intake
Some of the harmful chemicals may make the dark lips. If you are using lipstick and lip balm, always choose from the best brands and appropriate to your skin type.
Smoking contributes to the formation of dark lips, due to the nicotine and other harmful substances present in cigarettes can damage the skin’s collagen and makes the dark and wrinkled skin.
Skin of lips requires the same protection as the facial skin against sun exposure. Hence apply a lip balm that suits your skin type, particularly the skin of the lips are more sensitive than the other skin on the body.
Eliminating makeup after a day of activity is necessary for maintaining healthy skin; you need to wipe off the lipstick on your lips, especially before going to bed, because the application of lipstick can inhibit the regeneration of skin cells and resulted in dark lips.
When experiencing nervousness, you prefer to lick or bite your lips, in fact, this is a bad habit because it can lead to dryness of the lips and make the dark lips appear more quickly, so you need to avoid them.
Limit your intake of caffeine from coffee and tea is essential to prevent the emergence of dark lips. Drink tea or coffee up to two cups a day.
These are some precautions, as well as the best treatment here to help you get rid of dark lips. By applying the natural remedies, will make your lips regain it’s natural color; however, you still have to wait for at least one month or so to get the desired result, so be patient during the process.