Pregnancy is a wonderful moment for every family, as they know that the birth of a baby is about to increase the happiness of the couple and their relatives. Pregnancy also means a lot for a woman, as there are many changes may occur during pregnancy as well. Everything must be concerned, starting from the activity, freedom, meal, and her sleep schedule become a few things that need to be adjusted as a result of her pregnancy.
Some people may also notice some physical changes occur during pregnancy, for instance; stretching the abdominal skin, in which it results in stretch marks appear around the abdomen. Hence some women believe that being a mother means being ready for having the stretch marks on their body. Stretch marks are a common symptom during pregnancy, and no one shouldn’t worry about it, because it occurs as a function of the skin elasticity to accommodate the growing belly due to pregnancy.
Stretch marks begin to appear as fine lines with a reddish color that develops over the accumulation of fats around the belly during pregnancy, and over time they turned silvery. Now, the pop up question is, can we eliminate stretch marks during pregnancy? Let us explore more about stretch marks before answering the question.
Why Do You Have the Stretch Marks?
There are many reasons for stretch marks, but the point is, when there is an accumulation of fats, stretch marks is certainly easy to emerge. Therefore, during pregnancy, your body has a rate of growth faster than your abdominal skin, leaving the skin has difficulty for keeping up.
Your skin has elastic fibers situated under the skin layers. When the stretching occurs; they rupture resulting in stretch marks. Therefore, belly and the breasts are the two most common areas that have stretch marks during pregnancy. However, it is possible also for the buttocks, thighs, and upper arms to have stretch marks.
The genetic factor can also lead to stretch marks, so that when a mother had stretch marks during pregnancy, there is a possibility for her daughter to develop stretch marks as well. One’s skin complexion also affects the color of the stretch marks. Meaning that people with lighter skin are likely to have stretch marks with pinkish. Whereas for darker skin, they are likely to have lighter stretch marks, which following the skin tone.
How to Prevent Stretch Marks During Pregnancy
Experts reported that around 90% of women worldwide will have their stretch marks once reaching the 6th or 7th month of pregnancy. There is no way to prevent or stop them from appearing. Thankfully, they will fade over time to a tone that is less noticeable.
However, you need to make appropriate treatments at the early stages to make them less visible, even in the last trimester, and in the following elaboration, you can find out about how to prevent stretch marks during pregnancy.
The basic idea is quite simple, in which you have to keep the moisture of the skin, so it stays well hydrated. The more your skin soft and supple, the less visible stretch marks you might have.
Coconut Oil for Stretch Marks
Coconut oil has the great ability to nourish the skin, many people in tropical areas have enjoyed the benefits of coconut oil for their skin. Because it is full of saturated fatty acids that are not easily oxidized and good to fight damaging free radicals.
You can apply coconut oil topically to keep your belly stays moist and prevent your skin from stretch marks during pregnancy.
Ingredients you need:&nsbp;(i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Beeswax – sufficiently (optional).
- Prepare coconut oil to taste, slightly heat to warm up. Apply it on the affected area equally.
- Leave it for a few minutes to allow the skin absorbs the oil perfectly. You can add a small amount of beeswax into the coconut oil.
- Follow this process every day, especially following your shower to prevent stretch marks.
Shea Butter for Stretch Marks
Butter turned out to be one of the best ways to get rid of stretch marks. Do you know why? By taking the Shea butter or Cocoa butter, we have implemented two best emollients for treating skin disorders in the abdomen, including stretch marks during pregnancy.
This treatment is similar to the oil treatment, in which it suitable to be applied topically to the troubled area. It works by increasing elasticity and skin moisture, as well stimulates skin renewal, which in turn reduces the appearance of fine lines causing stretch marks.
Ingredients you need: (i) Shea butter or cocoa butter – sufficiently. (ii) Water – sufficiently. (iii) Soft towel – clean one.
- Take some butter and apply directly to the area stretch marks, evenly.
- Perform gentle massage on the affected area for several minutes to improve skin elasticity.
- Wash thoroughly after application and follow this process every day and get the skin soft and free of stretch marks.
Lemon Juice for Stretch Marks
Lemon is acidic, as it is rich in Alpha Hydroxy acid which is useful for increasing the production of collagen and stimulate the growth of new skin cells. It is also beneficial to exfoliate dead skin cells which are help reduce the appearance of stretch marks on the skin. In addition, the lemon also acts as a natural skin lightening agent that reduces redness caused by stretch marks.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – sufficiently. (ii) Warm water – sufficiently.
- Prepare one lemon and extract its juice, and rub the juice on the stretch marks area.
- Perform gently massage in a circular motion and allow it to stay for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with warm water afterwards, follow this treatment at least 2-3 times a week to fade stretch marks.
Gelatin for Stretch Marks
Stretch marks appear as a result of the lack of skin elasticity. To resolve this condition, you can come up with gelatin to improve the production of collagen which is an important element for skin elasticity. Hence, gelatin is an effective way to get rid of stretch marks during pregnancy.
Moreover, gelatin also provides other numerous benefits such as improving the wound healing, fight free radicals, improve sleep quality, improve digestion and reduce intestinal inflammation.
Ingredients you need: (i) Gelatin – sufficiently. (ii) Bone broth – sufficiently.
- You may increase the intake of gelatin to your diet to improve the production of collagen in the skin.
- You can also make bone broth and drink it plain in the morning, or mix it with gravies, sauces, soups, and casseroles
- The use of gelatin powder is also acceptable, add it with your beverages and drink regularly
Increase Liquid Intake for Stretch Marks
Your blood volume increases during pregnancy; it occurs because your body build a large water sack for babies to stay during development. Consequently, your body requires more fluids to stay hydrated and maintain skin elasticity to prevent stretch marks. Additionally, fluids can detoxify the body and maintain skin cells plump, thus improving skin health eventually.
Ingredients you need: (i) Water – as per required. (ii) Herbal tea – sufficiently. (iii) Fruit and watery vegetables – as per required.
- Drink when you are thirsty, when you find your lips dry, it is a sign of dehydration, so increase your intake of fluids and, if possible drink 8 glasses a day.
- Drinking decaffeinated herbal tea instead of water is very helpful in overcoming dehydration, it also helps reduce boredom from drinking water.
- Eating warm soup, watery vegetables and fresh fruits also help your body stay hydrated. They contain a significant amount of fluid that helps hydrate your body with delicious and different ways.
Additional Methods to Prevent Stretch Marks
You can apply some additional methods below to prevent the formation of stretch marks during pregnancy, and you need a few ingredients to make them work more efficiently.
Removal Lotion for Stretch Marks
Making your own natural lotions to prevent stretch marks turned out to be effective for eliminating the fine lines formed during pregnancy. Furthermore, you only need a few ingredients which are easily available either around the house or herbal store in your town. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – ¼ cup. (ii) Extra virgin oil – ½ cup. (iii) Vitamin E – 6 capsules. (iv) Vitamin A – 4 capsules.
- Simply mix all the ingredients in a small container, do not forget to open up the capsules of vitamin A and E as well take the contents.
- Mix all ingredients evenly and apply to the area of stretch marks, repeat the treatment every day.
- Store in the refrigerator if unused, and shake before the application.
Homemade Moisturizer for Stretch Marks
Never forget the moisturizer to keep the skin moisture, because it is imperative to avoid the formation of stretch marks.
- To do this, you should take wheat germ oil, aloe vera and olive oil in the same amount.
- Mix all the ingredients to form a moisturizer and apply to the area of stretch marks.
Removal Cream for Stretch Marks
You may combine some natural ingredients to form natural cream for stretch mark removal, things are a bit different from the removal lotion but has a significant effect to remove stretch marks during pregnancy.
Ingredients you need: (i) Vitamin E oil – one tablespoon. (ii) Cocoa butter – ½ cup. (iii) Grated bees wax – two tablespoons.
- Combine all ingredients in a container; you may add wheat germ oil, heat the mixture until the wax melts.
- Keep the mixture and allow it to cool down to room temperature, apply the mixture on your stretch marks.
- Repeat the application every day.
Useful Tips to Prevent Stretch Marks from Appearing
Preventing stretch marks during pregnancy in the first place is more important than getting rid of once you have it. For a reason, there are some things you need to do to take care of yourself.
Exfoliate the Affected Area
Stay away from Chemicals
Rub the oils on the stomach, chest and thighs areas regularly may help exfoliates dead skin buildup that makes it possible to prevent stretch marks in the first place.
Exercises such as yoga, Pilates, exercise for pregnant women, Kegel exercises, and some simple movements can promote blood circulation during pregnancy and is useful for preventing stretch marks.
Maintaining a healthy diet is imperative, not only for your baby but also the whole body of the mother. Increase the intake of protein, vitamin E and C to encourage collagen production and improve the elasticity of your skin during pregnancy, which in turn prevents stretch marks.
Most body washes contain sulfate, which potentially causes drying out the skin over time, especially during pregnancy, resulting in the skin loses its elasticity. The natural oil-based cleanser is strongly recommended to wash the body, add a little coconut oil to rub your skin and rinse with water.
It is strongly recommended to prevent stretch marks as early as possible, especially after you see the line first after pregnancy. So the key to the success of the prevention of stretch marks is giving a more attention to your body and apply natural remedies as quickly as possible.