Sometimes we forget the important things in our hair. Most of the time, we treat our hair exceed the limit without realizing that the hair can be damaged easily, yet it takes a longer time to repair it. The human hair consists of three layers;
√ Medulla – the innermost layer or the inner fiber.
√ Cortex – the middle layer that surrounds the Medulla.
√ Cuticle – the outer layer that protects the hair from any damages.
When the cuticle gets damage, the hair can lose its luster and shine because of the hair turned dry. Your hair is prone to damage due to a variety of causes, ranging from chemical treatments (curling, bleaching, dying and straightening), blow dryer, swimming in chlorinated water, lack of moisture, and exposure to the sun, all contribute to damaged hair from time to time.
These external processes can make your hair brittle, dry, porous, dull, frizzy and prone to damage and split ends. Damaged hair may result in an extreme hair loss. Therefore, preventing further damage and repair the current condition is a great start to get healthy, strong and shiny hair.
Speedy Home Remedies for Damaged Hair
Trimming is a shortcut for getting rid of damaged hair, but some natural remedies are also abundantly available which is effective to treat damaged hair and restore your shiny hair, yet maintaining healthy hair requires a particular treatment following the type of hair, as everyone does not necessarily have the same hair type.
We have some natural home remedies for damaged hair, which in the end you may get shiny, smooth, healthy, and long hair. However, keep in mind, damaged hair cannot be repaired in a matter of days or weeks, it takes patience and a long time to get the desired results. Here are a few of them.
Aloe Vera Hair Mask
Aloe vera is the best ally for those who have problems in the head area, including the damaged hair. When you accept aloe vera as your daily hair regimen, you may see it helps strengthen hair follicles that can lead to better hair growth.
In addition, aloe vera also soothes the hair shaft as it is rich in humectant properties. Also, you can find lots of amino acids, enzymes, and vitamins E and C in aloe vera that makes it as a great agent in repairing damaged hair. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently. (ii) Coconut oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Plain yogurt – three tablespoons.
- For the immediate use, you can take aloe vera gel and apply to your damaged hair. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse your hair with warm water afterward.
- Maybe you need a stronger concoction, simply create a mask from aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and plain yogurt.
- Stir the mixture well, then apply it to your damaged hair thoroughly.
- Wait for 30 minutes and rinse off your hair with water and followed by a mild shampoo. Dry your hair with a towel.
Note » Perform one of these treatments about once a week, and see the improvement of your hair.
Apply an Egg Mask
The damaged hair is a result of nutritional deficiencies to the hair, for adequate nutritional needs, many generations had used an egg as nutritional intake for healthy hair.
We already know that eggs contain lots of protein that can be found in the yolk while the egg white is rich in essential fatty acids (e.g. omega-3) and minerals (e.g. zinc).
All of this good contents, contributing for repairing the damaged hair fibers. Even with an extra enzyme in the egg white, making it as a great cleansing agent for hair and scalp from dandruff and dirt.
Ingredients you need: (i) Eggs – one or two. (ii) Yogurt – ½ cup. (iii) Almond oil – one tablespoon.
- You can apply one whisked egg on your hair and scalp directly. Massage evenly and leave for 20 minutes after covering your head with a shower cap.
- Rinse with cold water and wash off your hair with shampoo to remove any remaining egg and its odor.
- For a robust potion, whisk two eggs simultaneously with almond oil and yogurt, stir to get a creamy texture.
- Use the mixture as the hair and scalp mask, apply evenly while gently massaging your scalp.
- Cover your head with a towel or shower cap and wait for 30 minutes. Rinse off your hair with shampoo afterward.
Note » You can use olive oil instead of almond oil as well, and perform one of the remedies once a week.
The Coat of Avocado
Thanks to avocado, the damaged hair is no longer a stifling thing. It contains a lot of Vitamin E, protein, fats, natural oils and essential fatty acids. All of the content work simultaneously in repairing damaged hair shaft and create the healthy hair.
Applying an avocado as hair coat causing your hair stay hydrated and flexible, and in the future, it may contribute to the prevention of damaged hair caused by free radicals. In this way, your hair will look healthy, shiny and long all the time.
Ingredients you need: (i) Avocado – ½ or one, it depends on hair length. (ii) Olive oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Coconut milk – sufficiently. (iv) Egg yolk – one.
- Combine the olive oil and pulp of ripe avocado in the blender to obtain a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste as the coat for your hair, and wait for approximately one hour.
- Wash your hair thoroughly with a mild shampoo and condition your hair afterward.
- For another concoction, take flesh from one ripe avocado and add the egg yolk plus coconut oil in moderation. Mix them all evenly to obtain a smooth paste.
- Use the paste to apply on the hair and scalp, massage in a circular motion. Allow to sit for an hour, and rinse off with warm water followed by shampoo.
Note » Either one is good for treating damaged hair, repeat once a week for optimum results.
Olive Oil Moisturizer
Several important properties of olive oil is a great ally in overcoming various health problems, including repair the damaged hair. How is this possible? Olive oil packed with a variety of essential nutrients, such as fatty acids, vitamin E and a few of antioxidants.
It works as an excellent moisturizer that heals damaged layers of hair by providing moisture to the cuticle, it also keeps your scalp from flaking and dryness, protecting from further damage.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive oil – sufficiently. (ii) Honey – sufficiently.
- Make a concoction consisting of ¼ cup olive oil plus ½ cup of honey. Mix evenly and warm this mixture.
- Spread thoroughly on your hair and massage your scalp tenderly.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap and leave it for half an hour.
- Wash your hair with warm water followed by shampoo as usual.
- You can also apply the olive oil on your hair and scalp directly. Gently massage your scalp for a few minutes.
- Use a towel for covering your entire hair and leave for 30 minutes. Rinse your hair with shampoo afterward.
Note » Follow the treatment for once a week and see the result.
Honey Mask for Hair
Honey is a nutritious food that provides many health benefits either internally or externally. For treating the damaged hair, honey is a great agent for this purpose.
Honey can recover the hair from damage caused by chemicals or free radicals, in addition, it also locks and draws moisture to the hair cuticle, resulting in healthy and soft hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Honey – as required. (ii) Plain yogurt – one tablespoon. (iii) Olive or coconut oil – one tablespoon.
- Dilute ¼ cup of organic honey with enough water added.
- Apply the diluted honey to your damp hair and leave for half an hour. Rinse off with lukewarm water afterward. Follow this remedy twice a week for best result.
- You may also prepare a hair mask made from two tablespoons of honey plus one tablespoon of olive oil and plain yogurt. Warm the mixture while stirring evenly.
- Apply the mask to your hair thoroughly, cover your hair with a towel and wait for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off your hair with warm water and apply the shampoo afterward. Use this routine for once a week
Note » The frequent use of honey mask can lighten and clean your hair.
Adding banana to the hair care regime is a brilliant way to restore the beauty of your hair. Banana packed with lots of vitamin E, potassium, moisture content and natural oils which is help to improve elasticity and soften your hair, thus it is excellent for restoring damage to the hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Banana – one ripe. (ii) Honey – one tablespoon. (iii) Coconut oil – one tablespoon. (iv) Olive oil – one tablespoon.
- For faster usage, simply apply a mashed banana to your hair. Allow it to stay for an hour and rinse off with warm water afterward.
- Alternatively, put banana, honey, coconut oil and olive oil into a container. Mix evenly until you get a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste to your hair and scalp evenly. Massage for a few minutes and then leave it for half an hour.
- Wash off your hair with warm water afterward and pat dry. Perform this treatment for once a week.
Coconut Oil Conditioner
Taking coconut oil as hair care regimen provides many good things for yourself. It is one of the natural ways for causing the hair soft and radiant. Coconut oil contains many nutrients that are good for your hair and it does not have chemicals inside for sure.
By using coconut oil, you have to equip yourself with a natural conditioner, in which it can easily penetrate into the hair cuticle and preventing hair from further damage.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (ii) Honey – ¼ cup.
- Massage your scalp with warm coconut oil for approximately five minutes.
- Cover up your head with a towel and leave overnight, wash off your hair with a mild shampoo the next morning. Do this routine every day or at least three times a week.
- You can also make a mixture from ¼ cup of honey and three tablespoons of warm coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture to your damp hair thoroughly, let it stand for 30 minutes and rinse off your hair with warm water. Repeat this method for twice a week.
White Vinegar to Rinse Hair
Another popular remedy taken for treatment of damaged hair is white vinegar. It works by clarifying the condition of hair, sealing the cuticle for maintaining the moisture from the hair, and remove dirt and residue from the hair and scalp.
Besides, white vinegar encourages healthy hair growth, contributed in restoring the natural pH level from the scalp and creating the shiny and soft hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Distilled white vinegar – one cup. (ii) Water – three cups.
- Add the white vinegar and water and put in a container. Perform a conditioning of the hair.
- Use the solution to rinse your hair afterward. Leave for approximately five minutes.
- Wash off your hair with warm water afterward and dry your hair with a towel. Do this treatment once a week.
Rinse with Black Tea
Black tea is known to be rich vitamin E and C, as well as its polyphenol content. When applied to your hair, it adds softness and brightness of damaged hair. It also prevents the damage caused by exposure to UV rays from the sun.
Ingredients you need: (i) Black tea – one bag. (ii) Jasmine essential oil – sufficiently.
- Prepare a cup of hot water and enter the black tea bag, cover the cup to allow it steep for 10 minutes.
- Wait for the tea water to cool and add a few drops of jasmine oil.
- Wash off your hair with a mild shampoo and use the tea water as the final rinse.
- Repeat these easy steps two times a week.
The hibiscus flower is often used as an ornamental plant, as it has the charm and physical beauty for refreshing eye. However, who had ever thought that hibiscus also provides many benefits for health and beauty?
According to Ayurvedic medication, hibiscus is very good to repair damaged hair while encouraging the growth of healthy and strong hair. Hibiscus helps keep moisture from the hair and scalp by sealing the cuticle and restore the sheen and luster from any dry and damaged hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Hibiscus flowers (ii) Coconut oil – one cup.
- Prepare a cup of coconut oil plus 10 of hibiscus flowers. Heat up to get charred flowers.
- Allow the oil to cool and strain afterwards. Apply the oil on the hair and scalp, gently massages the scalp in a circular motion, for a few minutes.
- Leave for 30 minutes then wash off your hair thoroughly.
- You may also make a concoction of four leaves of hibiscus and two hibiscus flower petals.
- Finely grind both ingredients and add a little bit of water to get a smooth paste.
- Apply the paste throughout your hair and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse thoroughly with warm water afterward.
Note » Perform one of these remedies once or twice a week if you want to see a nice result.
Tea Tree Oil Solution
Tea tree oil contains a powerful antiseptic to treat infections of the skin, including the scalp. Therefore, it is very useful to prevent infection due to dryness of the scalp and promote healthy hair growth.
Ingredients you need: (i) Tea tree oil – one teaspoon. (ii) Warm water – one cup.
- Make a solution of one cup of warm water and one teaspoon of tea tree oil, enter into a sprayer and shake.
- Spray this solution throughout your scalp, but wash your hair with a mild shampoo first.
- Gently massage your scalp for a few minutes and drain excess moisture with a towel.
Rosemary Oil for Hair Tonic
Rosemary oil is a powerful and effective tonic for hair growth. Doing regular massage with this oil on the scalp, may stimulate blood circulation, which in turn increases the supply of nutrients needed by hair follicles and strengthens the hair roots.
Many advantages of rosemary oil provide benefits for you, for example, the oil does not clog the pores, as it has a liquid consistency, and thus making rosemary oil is widely used as an ingredient of shampoos and hair conditioners.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rosemary essential oil – five drops. (ii) Olive oil – ¼ cup. (iii) Dried rosemary – two sprigs.
- Make a hair oil made from a mixture of rosemary oil, dried rosemary and olive oil with the right composition.
- Combine all ingredients and strain into a bowl. Apply the oil to the hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Cover your hair with a towel or shower cap and leave it for half an hour. Rinse your hair afterward.
Additional Tips to Prevent and Repair Damaged Hair
Several things you need to consider to get the desired results, sometimes it is hard to do in the first place, but for best results we recommend you should perform the following tips.
Minimize the Use of Chemicals
Avoid Excessive Brushing
Massage Your Scalp
Protect Your Hair
Trimming the Damaged Hair
Diet and Exercise
Chemical based products tend to aggravate the condition of damaged hair, reducing contact is a quick way to prevent hair damage. Most experts encourage the use shampoos and conditioners that contain less chemicals.
Excessive brushing, can cause damage and reduce the hair growth. Use a wide-toothed comb or a natural bristle brush instead, and do not forget to wet the brush before use, and start from the top of the hair.
Massaging the scalp before bedtime can promote blood circulation and stimulate hair follicles. Use essential oils to strengthen the hair fiber.
When you are doing outdoor activities, wear a hat or bandana to protect your hair from sun exposure. It can reduce the hair dryness, as the continuous sunlight exposure can cause damage to the hair.
Trimming hair is a fast way to prevent the spread of further hair damage. Go to your favorite salon and cut the split ends for several centimeters.
Following a healthy diet plan and regular exercise is a great combination to improve overall health. Do not forget to increase fluids intake to stay hydrated, especially in winter.
- How to Get Rid of Greasy Hair Fast Naturally
- How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair Naturally
- How to Get Rid of Split Ends Naturally
- How to Get Rid of Dry Hair Fast and Permanently
Apply the treatment of some of the above home remedies for several times a week, and get a pleasant experience again with your healthy hair in your everyday life.