A runny nose is a very common health problem in human life, both infants and adults may experiencing symptoms of a runny nose in their lives. A runny nose occurs when there is increased mucus in the sinuses and nasal passages. It is a natural way from the body in flushing flu, colds, allergens and irritants out of the body.
If you are suffering from this constant runny nose condition, you may continue to read the following simple home remedies for a runny nose to provide instant relief without side effects.
Natural Home Remedies for Runny Nose
The best remedy tip is by applying home remedy that is aim to relieve the symptoms and stop runny nose, here are some of them.
- Salt Water for Runny Nose
- Place ½ teaspoon of salt into the warm water and stir evenly.
- Pour a few drops of saline solution into the nasal cavity. Don’t forget to tilt your head backward while dripping the solution.
- Inhale gently so that the solution go deeper into the nasal passages.
- Now blow your nose gently to remove excessive mucus along with the saline solution.
- Continue this process several times a day or as you need to improve your condition.
- Inhale Steam for Runny Nose
- Fill the bowl with hot water, then hold your face over the bowl.
- Cover your head with a towel, grasp the ends of the towel with both of your hands to trap the steam.
- Now breathe slowly and deeply so that the steam enters your nasal cavity.
- As the steam may damage your eyes, you need to close your eyes .
- Perform this routine for about 5-10 minutes and repeat this process several times a day until the symptoms of runny nose reduced.
- For a more convenient, you can add into the steam the herbs such as mint, ginger, or essential oils such as eucalyptus oil, thymol, pine oil, etc.
- Garlic for Runny Nose
- Boil the water and add the garlic pieces into the boiling water.
- Grate the onion and extract its juice.
- Put the grated onion into boiling water.
- Strain the solution and add a little salt or sugar to improve the taste.
- Drink the garlic soup twice a day until you get the desired result
- Eucalyptus Oil for Runny Nose
- Boil the water and put into the bowl.
- Pour a few drops of eucalyptus oil into the boiling water.
- Inhale the steam that coming out of the water and do not forget to covering your head with a towel so that the steam does not leak.
- Perform this process two or several times a day as required until you get relief from a runny nose.
- Cayenne Pepper For Runny Nose
- Using Mustard Oil to Get Rid of Runny Nose
- Heat up a little amount of mustard oil until it’s slightly warm, then insert it into the dropper.
- Put one or two drops of oil in each nostril while tilt your head backward, and gently pull the oil deeper into the nose.
- After some time, gently blow your nose and let all the dirt out along with the mucus.
- Perform the process at least two to three times a day or as per your requirements.
- Heat up a bowl of water and add a tablespoon of caraway seeds and three tablespoons of mustard oil.
- Breathe normally while inhaling the aroma that comes out of steam.
- Let the aroma of mustard oil and caraway seeds cleanse your respiratory system and get instant relief from a runny nose.
- Repeat two or three times each day.
- Turmeric for Runny Nose
- Soak 1½ teaspoons of dried turmeric powder into a cup of linseed oil.
- Mix evenly and leave for a few minutes.
- Heat the mixture until the smoke started to emerge.
- Slowly inhale the smoke through one nostril in turns.
- Repeat several times a day to get relief from runny nose
- Mix 2 teaspoons of turmeric powder into a glass of warm milk
- Stir evenly and add a tablespoon of honey.
- You can add a pinch of black pepper if necessary
- Strain the milk and drink before going to bed to reduce the symptom of runny nose.
- Mix one teaspoon of turmeric powder, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, one teaspoon of ginger grated and one teaspoon of clove powder into a bowl of water.
- Heat up for about 8-10 minutes.
- Strain the mixture and add a teaspoon of honey.
- Drink the tea 2 to 3 times a day to get relief from runny nose.
Salt water helps to alleviate the symptom of a runny nose, as well as one of the effective home remedies to overcome the irritation that accompanies a runny nose. It becomes the simplest medicine for runny nose that available in your kitchen.
The mucus in the nasal cavity can be easily diluted with salt water so that it is easier to expel out of the nose. The salt water also helps to get rid of the irritants inside the nasal cavity as well.
The use of salt water for a runny nose remedy is safe for children and babies and highly recommended by doctors as a relief for the symptoms. You may buy the saline solution in the form of a spray or create on your own to be more practical.
Ingredients you need: (i) Salt – ¼ or ½ of teaspoon. (ii) Dropper – clean one. (iii) Warm water or distilled water – 2 Cups.
Steam is a versatile traditional home remedy and is very effective to relieve a runny nose and nasal congestion. When you inhale the steam, it helps to loosen the excessive mucus in the nasal cavity, so that it is easier to blow your nose and expel the mucus out that causes a runny nose.
Ingredients you need: (i) Hot water – sufficiently. (ii) Towel – clean one. (iii) Bowl – clean one.
Garlic has been widely known to provide some health benefits in human life. It has powerful antiseptic and antibacterial properties to heal flu, sinus infections and cold and that cause a runny nose and nasal congestion.
Ingredients you need: (i) Garlic – 2-3 Cloves. (ii) Water – two cups. (iii) Onion – one small. (iv) Salt or sugar – optional.
Note » You can also chew 2-3 cloves of garlic if you bear with bad breath afterwards, or simply consume the garlic supplements on a regular basis to relieve the runny nose.
Eucalyptus oil is a natural decongestant that can also be used to treat flu and cold as well as to relieve the symptoms of a runny nose.
In addition, eucalyptus oil has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties as well, which is surely effective in dealing with infections. The steam produced by eucalyptus oil have anti-inflammatory properties that control the secretion of mucus.
Ingredients you need: (i) Eucalyptus oil – sufficiently. (ii) Hot water – sufficiently. (iii) Towel – clean one.
Cayenne pepper can clear the symptoms of a runny nose as it contains the antihistamine that works as a nasal decongestant. It helps improve blood circulation and improve nasal discharge, thereby it flush out the blockages and toxins that cause a runny nose.
There is no particular recipe for using cayenne pepper to expel a runny nose, simply add more cayenne pepper into your daily diet when suffering from a runny nose and get quick relief from the symptoms.
Mustard oil is one of the traditional home remedies that is useful for mucolytic. Mucolytic serves to break up the thick mucus and helpful to drain out the sinus.
Besides mustard oil also has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-microbial properties, which are helpful to overcome a runny nose due to infections of the respiratory tract.
Inside the mustard oil, there are useful substances called Glucosinolate for combating the microbes and Allyl isothiocyanate that fight fungal infections. So that this oil does not only help in draining your nasal discharge but also helps in cure the underlying infections that give a runny nose.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mustard oil – sufficiently. (ii) Dropper or cotton ball – clean one. (iii) Caraway seeds – sufficiently. (iv) Water – sufficiently.
You may also do this:
Note » If you don’t have spare times in preparing the remedy, you may also simply add the mustard oil into your daily meal.
The ancient Chinese medicine and Ayurveda have put this yellow herb to treat various medical conditions. Turmeric contains curcumin compound that provides all the medications benefits. It has natural anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties which make it effective for treating cough and cold including one of effective remedies for a runny nose.
Ingredients you need for turmeric smoke: (i) Turmeric powder – sufficiently. (ii) Linseed oil – sufficiently.
Ingredients you need for turmeric milk: (i) Turmeric powder – sufficiently. (ii) Warm milk – one glass. (iii) Black pepper – sufficiently. (iv) Honey – sufficiently.
Ingredients you need for turmeric tea: (i) Turmeric powder – sufficiently. (ii) Cinnamon – sufficiently. (iii) Clove powder – sufficiently. (iv) Ginger grated (v) Honey (vi) Water.
Directions for making turmeric smoke:
Directions for making turmeric milk:
Directions for making turmeric tea:
Additionally, you have to get enough rest and keep yourself hydrated by consuming plenty of fluids such as soup, water, and fruit juice.
If the symptoms of runny nose lasts more than 10 days and accompanied by high fever high, you should consult a doctor for further treatment.