Hair graying is a natural phenomenon as a person gets old. Normally, hair roots can produce the color pigment called “Melanin” which provides the natural color of the hair follicles. When a person gets older, the production of melanin also decreases and leads to the appearance of gray hair.
Gray hair occurs due to the absence of the color pigment in the hair follicle. There are two segments composing each strand of our hair, the first is the hair shaft, it is the colored element which can be seen extending from the head. While the second is the hair roots, in which it is the lower element and serves to strengthen the hair shaft under the top of the head.
Every strand of hair protected by a tissue under the skin called the hair follicles. Every pigment cells present at the base of follicles responsible for the natural color of the hair shaft. The pigment colors or commonly referred to as melanin produced by pigment cells found in the body called “Melanocytes”. When the melanocytes lost its ability to produce melanin, it leads to the gray hair.
It’s a normal condition when people get the gray hair when their aged over 40’s or so. However, it may turn into a disaster when young adults notice their gray hair at the age of 20’s or 30’s; it is often called the premature gray hair that makes them look older than they are.
What Causes of Premature Gray Hair?
Premature graying of hair emerged as a result of some specific reasons, your may recognize some of them from the following list.
Dirt Buildup on Scalp
Gray hair usually is derivative from our parents. So, if your father or mother obtained their gray hair at a young age, you are likely to have similarities in getting premature gray hair.
Certain vitamin deficiencies in the body, especially the lack of vitamin B can lead to the emergence of gray hair, even in a more severe case is the occurrence of hair loss.
Fluctuations and hormonal imbalance can lead to the emergence of gray hair. Young men and women usually experience this conditions.
Hypothyroidism, or known as a thyroid disorder, is a thyroid dysfunction which resulted in lower production of thyroid hormone. It promotes a negative impact on the hair and scalp, including lead to the gray hair.
Smoking greatly contributes to the process of gray hair; many harmful impurities are found in cigarettes which potentially damaging the color pigment of the hair shaft.
Prolonged stress can lead to hormonal changes in the body and potentially interfere with the production of melanin in hair follicles; thus it leads to the gray hair.
Dirt buildup on the scalp could potentially weaken the hair roots, not only it may cause hair loss but also the onset of the gray hair.
Applying concentrated hair dyes potentially adverse effects on the health of the hair because the rich acid content of hair dyes may become a big enemy for the hair roots.
Certain diseases such as tuberous sclerosis, chronic colds and sinusitis can lead to the onset of gray hair, they may affect the production of melanin in hair follicles.
Gray hair will appear sooner or later, and you also cannot resist the existence of gray hair on your head eventually. However, there are still other ways that you can follow to avoid prematurely gray hair. Many hair dye products commercially available may be found nowadays, they were invented by the beauty manufacturers that aims to help those who want to solve the problem of gray hair in no time.
They seemed very helpful in the beginning, however, many of hair dye products indicated loaded with chemical substances that could potentially harm the hair follicles and lead to hair loss. Hence, instead of covering the strands of gray hair with commercial hair dye products, there are still better alternatives that you can employ to eliminate gray hair and still nourish the hair follicles.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Gray Hair Prematurely
Beauty experts have recommended the use of natural home remedies to replace chemical dyes products to combat the problem of premature graying of hair. They are proven to be more efficient to darken the graying hair while maintaining the health of hair follicles or other organs.
Rosemary and Sage
For those of you who knew rosemary and sage, they are great solution agents when it comes to darkening the gray hair. Rosemary helps to restore hair damage due to exposure to pollution and other environmental factors. It also helps nourish the hair graying.
Sage, on the other hand, is a natural dyeing agent which is useful to restore the natural color of hair graying. The combination of both help to get rid of gray hair in an extraordinary way.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sage – ½ cup. (ii) Rosemary leaves – ½ cup. (iii) Hot water – two cups.
- Take two cups of water to boil. Add the sage and rosemary into the boiling water and let stand for about 15 minutes.
- Lift the boiling water and let the herbs steep for a few hours then strain the solution.
- Apply the solution to your hair, especially the gray area. Cover your head with a shower cap and wait for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the solution with mild shampoo afterward.
- Repeat this process once a week to get a free hair gray naturally.
Onion is known as a great ally to address various issues relating to health for thousands of years. Either used internally or externally, onion still provide significant effects for improvement for any problems that it faces. Research also indicates that onion juice is very effective when dealing with thinning and graying hair.
Decrease in natural antioxidant compounds and accumulation of hydrogen peroxide in hair follicles suspected to be several causes of gray hair. Onion juice remedy works to produce antioxidants (Catalase) and clean the hair follicles to restore the natural color of the hair shaft.
Ingredients you need: (i) Onion – a few medium sized. (ii) Muslin cloth – one. (iii) Blender – good one.
- Peel some onion, and put them into a blender jar. Mashed the onion for a few minutes to form a soft consistency.
- Strain the onion consistency using a muslin cloth until you obtain an extract of the onion juice.
- Apply the juice on your hair evenly and perform gentle massage on the scalp.
- Allow it to stay for 40 minutes, use a shower cap to cover your head. Rinse your hair with water afterward, followed by shampooing well.
- Repeat the remedy three times a week to obtain the darker hair and free of gray.
The deficiency of vitamin B is one of the leading causes of the appearance of gray hair. Thanks to the curry leaves, as it is rich in vitamin B which helps promote the improvement of natural color pigments in your hair.
Whereas the coconut oil provides a variety of essential nutrients and vitamins to nourish the hair follicles, which ultimately beneficial to delay the onset of premature gray hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Curry leaves – ¼ cup. (ii) Coconut oil – one cup. (iii) Muslin cloth – one piece.
- Prepare a cup of coconut oil until boiling and put fresh curry leaves in the coconut oil afterward.
- Allow the coconut oil to boil on low heat for a few minutes or the curry leaves looks charred. Strain the oil with a gauze and let the coconut oil reaches its room temperature.
- Apply coconut oil on your hair and scalp thoroughly. Gently massaging the scalp for 5 minutes to allow the hair follicles absorb the oil completely.
- Allow it to stay for 40 minutes, and you are allowed to cover your hair with a shower cap. Rinse off your hair with water and follow with a gentle shampoo applications.
- Repeat this home remedy twice a week for several weeks to reduce the gray hair.
Note » You may also consume the juice of curry leaves for internal treatment.
Indian Gooseberry is rich in various essential astringents which are very useful when dealing with the healing of various hair problems such as hair loss, dull hair, and gray hair. Indian gooseberry or commonly known as “Amla”, ranks highest in vitamin C among fruits and vegetables, which has anti-aging and antioxidant properties as well as help detoxify the hair follicles which is very useful for avoiding premature gray hair.
It also helps prevent baldness lines by promoting the formation of new hair strands and make hair stronger. Moreover, gooseberry is a great destructive agent to get rid of the bacteria and fungi that cause infections, it also cleans the buildup of dirt, oils and dead skin cells on the scalp, creating an overall healthy hair.
Indian Gooseberry and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains moisturizing properties, and it easily penetrates into the hair shaft. It also improves the structure of protein bonds in the hair to make hair strands stronger and prevent the occurrence of gray hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Indian gooseberry – four pieces (powder form is allowed as well). (ii) Coconut oil – one cup of sufficiently. (iii) >Shower cap – one.
- Prepare the coconut oil to boil and place the slices of Indian gooseberry into the boiling oil.
- Allow the boiling coconut oil along with gooseberry for approximately 15 minutes until the sliced gooseberry become charred.
- Remove the oil from heat, and let the oil reaches its room temperature. Strain the oil with a gauze afterward.
- Apply the oil to the hair evenly, while gently massaging the scalp in circular motion for about 3 minutes.
- Allowing it to stay overnight, and don’t forget to cover your head with a shower cap. Rinse your hair with cold water the next morning, followed by shampooing with a mild shampoo.
- Repeat this home remedy three times a week to reverse the premature gray hair.
Indian Gooseberry, Lemon Juice and Almond Oil
The hair shaft is the common place where the toxic pile occurs. If it lasted for a long time without significant action, it could damage the color pigments that lead to premature gray hair.
The addition of lemon juice enhances the efficiency of treatment because it is rich in vitamin C that improves the healthy color pigment in the hair, while the magnesium content present in almond oil is very useful for improving the overall health of hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Indian gooseberry – three pieces. (ii) Lemon juice – three teaspoons. (iii) Almond oil – three tablespoons. (iv) Shower cap – one piece. (v) Strainer and blender – one piece.
- Prepare the gooseberry and cut them into the several slices. Place the gooseberry pieces into a blender to form a smooth consistency.
- Strain the consistency of gooseberry and extract its juice. Add the lemon juice and almond oil into the gooseberry juice.
- Mix evenly all the ingredients inside a bowl. Apply the mixture to your hair evenly and gently massage your scalp for 3 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with water, followed by mild shampooing to remove oil residue.
- Repeat this treatment at least three times a week to reduce the appearance of gray hair.
Lemon Juice and Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a miraculous ingredient provided by nature. It keeps the moisture in the hair, promotes hair growth, improves hair luster and prevents any infection. It is an old secret that has been used for healthy hair care, including preventing the prematurely gray hair.
Lemon juice, on the other hand, is very beneficial to obtain the natural color of hair by developing a healthy color pigment in the hair shaft.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil – three teaspoons. (ii) Lemon juice – two teaspoons.
- Heat the coconut oil until it reaches a warmer temperature. Add the lemon juice and mix evenly.
- Apply the mixture on the hair thoroughly with a soft massage your scalp. Allow it to stay for about 30 minutes; you are allowed to wear a shower cap if necessary.
- Rinse thoroughly with water, followed by shampooing afterward. Repeat this treatment at least twice a week.
Black Tea Remedy
Stress, exhausted, lack of nutrients and vitamins are some of the causes of premature gray hair. Applying black tea is an effective way when it comes for addressing the problem of gray hair.
Black tea contains natural dyeing agent that is useful to enhance the dark color of the hair and reduce hair graying rapidly. You can read the benefits of black tea for a better understanding.
Ingredients you need: (i) Black tea – two tablespoons. (ii) Salt – one tablespoon. (iii) Hot water – one cup.
- Prepare a cup of boiling water and place the black tea into the boiling water. Add the salt and allow the tea to cool down.
- Apply the tea into your hair thoroughly, especially the gray area. Allow the tea to stay for about 30 minutes.
- Rinse your hair with cold water afterward, but do not use shampoo. Repeat this home remedy twice a week.
Black Sesame Seeds and Almond Oil
Sesame seeds has been used extensively to treat various health conditions of hair. Traditional Chinese medicine had recognized the greatness of sesame seeds since ancient times; it is rich in a variety of important properties such as iron, magnesium, phosphorus and protein which useful for maintaining hair follicles and delay the onset of the premature gray hair.
Almond oil is an excellent source of vitamin E, proteins, essential nutrients and antioxidants to nourish the hair shaft. The combination of the two is very useful for increasing the activity of melanocytes to produce pigment cells or the melanin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Sesame seeds – three teaspoons. (ii) Almond oil – two tablespoons. (iii) Blender – normally one.
- Preheat the almond oil until reaching its lukewarm temperature. Grind the black sesame seeds to form a smooth consistency.
- Place the sesame seed powder into the almond oil and apply the mixture on your hair thoroughly. Gently massage your scalp for a few minutes in a circular motion.
- Allow it to stay for 30 minutes to allow the oil absorbed completely by the hair follicles. Rinse your hair with plain water, complete with shampooing if necessary.
- Repeat this process three times a week to restore the dark color of the hair.
Amaranth leaves possess a great ability to restrain the natural color of hair; thus it becomes an excellent healing agent when it comes to getting rid of gray hair. It is also effective in treating dandruff and hair loss, making a healthy, dark, and natural sparkling of hair.
Ingredients you need: (i) Amaranth leaves – one cup. (ii) Shower cap – one piece. (iii) Blender and strainer – appropriate one.
- Grind the amaranth leaves properly to form a smooth consistency and strain the amaranth leaves to extract its juice.
- Apply the amaranth juice on your hair thoroughly and cover up your head with a shower cap.
- Leave for about 30 minutes and rinse off with cold water afterward.
- Repeat the remedy at least twice a week to restore the natural color of the hair.
Basil Leaves and Mustard Oil
Basil leaves contain many beneficial properties that are useful for stimulating hair follicles and promote healthy hair growth. While mustard oil is rich in vitamin A, iron, magnesium and essential fatty acids that are helpful to nourish the hair shaft.
Both of these properties is a great combination to stimulate the formation of pigment cells in restoring the natural color of the hair and prevents premature graying.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mustard oil – two tablespoons. (ii) Basil leaves – sufficiently. (iii) Muslin cloth – one piece.
- Grind the basil leaves properly to form a smooth paste. Strain basil leaves with a muslin cloth to extract its juice.
- Mix the juice with mustard oil and mix evenly. Apply the solution on the hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Complete with a gentle massage on the scalp in a circular motion. Allow the application overnight; you may also wear a shower cap if necessary.
- Rinse your hair with plain water the next morning, follow with shampooing if necessary. Repeat this process at least twice a week to improve the color pigment of the hair.
Precautions Routine for the Onset of Gray Hair
You can apply some of the following precautions to reverse the gray hair and make them darker. Healthy habits and appropriate care is an important key to get the dark hair.
Managing Your Stress
Increase Healthy Foods Intake
Avoid Certain Foods
Stress is proven adverse impact on the overall health, including stimulating the emergence of gray hair. Engage in activities that make you happy, practice yoga or meditation, exercise and keep yourself from anxiety are some of the best methods to avoid stress.
Harmful ingredients of cigarettes can be the cause of the onset of gray hair. There is no reason for you not to stop smoking when you realize graying has been incurred on your head. Quit smoking also prevents premature aging due to skin damage caused by smoking.
Increasing the intake of healthy foods have been proven to increase essential nutrients for the body, including useful to nourish your hair. Take the foods rich in vitamins, minerals, folic acid and proteins. They are the main foods for the hair which prevents premature graying and make hair healthier.
Reducing salt intake is essential to prevent damage to the blood stream, as it can increase blood pressure which leads to inhibition of cell reproduction. Avoid processed, oily and junk foods, as they contain large amounts of salt. Reduce the intake of carbohydrates, as it also inhibits the absorption of antioxidants.
However instant results might not be what you get in the case of use of home remedies application. For a couple of weeks, you must apply them on a regular basis to see tangible results. If you notice a prolonged gray hair, always consult a specialist.