Vaginitis is an infection or inflammation that occurs inside the vagina, it is commonly known as a “yeast infection”. According to the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG), this infection is one of the most common types of vaginal infections, which is a discharge that causes irritation and itchy inside the vagina.
Yeast infection is often referred to candidiasis, and is commonly caused by the overgrowth of a microscopic fungus called “Candida Albicans”. They live naturally in the body, but when the immune system is compromised, the infection may occur.
This infection usually affects the area of vaginal, but there may be other areas of the body such as lower abdomen, under the breasts, around dentures, under the folds of the skin and nail beds may affected as well.
Women who are active in sexual activity, are more susceptible to yeast infection, compared to those who are less active. But there are some other things that may trigger the risk of yeast infections, such as pregnancy, oral contraceptives, hormonal imbalance, steroids, stress, diabetes and antibiotics.
The possibility of getting a yeast infection is likely for women who have their menopause, due to decreasing levels of estrogen which thin the vaginal wall.
Symptoms of Yeast Infection
There are several symptoms that accompany a yeast infection that you can verify when you realize that you are suffering from this infection. Including,
» Unusual pain and a burning sensation during intercourse or urinating.
» Itching and irritation around vagina.
» Inflammation and swelling around vulva.
» The appearance of rashes.
» Having thick, odorless, white vaginal discharge.
Effective Home Remedies to Get Rid of Yeast Infection
You will be surprised when there are tons of home remedies that are effective and safe for everyone, however, you should always doing a test on how your body react prior using it constantly.
Tea Tree Oil
One good thing I can tell you about tea tree oil, “it is a miracle in a bottle”. You can use a lot of things with tea tree oil in your everyday life.
What makes this oil has many uses? The answer is simple, it is a kind of natural oils which have anti-fungal, antibiotic, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Thus, it is a powerful remedy for the treatment of yeast infections. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Organic tea tree oil – one tablespoon. (ii) Warm water – one cup. (iii) Small spray. (iv) Olive oil or sweet almond oil – one tablespoon. (v) Tampon.
- Dilute one teaspoon of tea tree oil into a cup of warm water. Use as a spray and apply on the affected area, once or twice a day.
- Otherwise, mix one teaspoon of pure almond oil or olive oil with a teaspoon of tea tree oil. Apply the mixture over the affected area of the skin twice each day.
- For treating a vaginal yeast infection, dip a tampon into diluted tea tree oil. Enter the tampon into the vagina carefully and leave it for two hours.
- Repeat the process once a day until the infection disappears.
Note » Your vagina is very sensitive, and put something on environment that is already irritated is very disturbing. Hence, when you feel uncomfortable, stop immediately. Avoid the use of tea tree oil in pregnant women, because some of the properties of this oil can be harmful for the baby.
For those who suffer from a yeast infection that is relatively uncomplicated, use the boric acid as the top-shelf treatment to remove the yeast which causes an infection on the skin.
It is a chemical substance that contains natural anti-fungal and antiseptic. In most cases, it shows that the overgrowth of Candida albicans as well as Candida glabrata (the yeast, behind the appearance of the infection) can be inhibited by treatment of the boric acid.
Because of the boric acid powder is an irritant, you cannot apply directly on the affected skin area. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Boric acid – one teaspoon of powder. (ii) Water – one cup.
- Mix one tablespoon of boric acid powder into a cup of water and stir evenly. Apply the solution on the affected area of skin yeast infection.
- Wait a few minutes and then rinse with plain water. Do it once a day, once in the morning or before bed for several weeks.
Note » Pregnant women should never use this remedy for the good of their baby.
The flowers blossom from Calendula officinalis, at first glance have similarities with common Marigolds, therefore they often referred to “pot Marigolds”. Not only have the beautiful shape, they are also edible.
Over many generations, calendula has been used as a medicinal herb, because it has potent anti-infection, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-oxidant, anti-septic and anti-spasmodic properties, etc.
As it has seemingly endless of health benefits, calendula is an amazing way to reduce the overgrowth of candida which is the reason behind the yeast infection. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Calendula leaves. (ii) Water.
- Make a paste of some, crushed leaves of calendula and a little water. Apply the paste on the affected area topically.
- Let stand for a few hours then rinse it off with clean water. Do two or three times a day until the infection subsides.
- You can also make some tea from leaves extract of calendula, boil a few leaves of calendula, leave for a few minutes, add a little honey and drink while it still warm.
- Calendula is also available in the form of an ointment or lotion, it as a substitute if you cannot find the leaves calendula.
- For those who like edible treatment, there is also calendula which is packaged in capsule or tincture.
Note » Pregnant women should avoid edible treatment, such as drinking tea, capsules, or tinctures, unless the doctor allows in a certain condition.
Nobody doubtful about the miraculous of coconut oil for the beautifying purposes over centuries and beyond. It mostly being used as a natural treatment for damaged hair.
However, it also has other medicinal purposes such as curing skin problems as well as culinary purposes. Despite the coconut oil has lost its scent, but it is very sweet helps in fighting various diseases, including yeast infection.
Coconut oil is known to have potent anti-fungal properties, thus it is very effective in killing the fungus that leads to the yeast infection. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil. (ii) Cinnamon oil – optional. (iii) Tea tree oil – optional.
- Coconut oil softens the skin, accordingly you can apply directly on the affected area of a skin infection.
- Perform this for three times each day. Otherwise make a mixture of coconut oil and cinnamon in equal amounts.
- Apply mixture on the affected skin thoroughly for three times a day, to inhibit the fungal overgrowth.
- If you are exposed to oral thrush, you can also apply a small bit of the mixture to the affected area.
- Do not swallow and wait for 5-10 minutes and rinse the mouth with water afterwards. You can replace the cinnamon oil with tea tree oil, instead.
Garlic is one of the favorites complementary for various foods. Although the scent of garlic is strong and lingering, it still provides health benefits unrivaled compared to many other foods.
Garlic is widely used for lots of medicinal purposes. It is rich in antimicrobial, anti-fungal, antibiotic and antibacterial properties, and is considered suitable to help cure a yeast infection. Other than that, garlic is also suitable for treating a toothache, heart disease and respiratory problems.
With all the seemingly endless qualities of garlic, making it into an extraordinary part of the natural home remedies for any kind of yeast infection problems, here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Garlic – a few cloves. (ii) Vitamin E oil. (iii) Coconut oil.
- Make a paste from a few cloves of crushed garlic. Gently rub the paste on the affected area and leave it for several hours.
- In case you have difficulty in obtaining the garlic, use garlic oil instead.
- Dilute it with vitamin E oil along with a few drops of coconut oil. Apply on the affected skin area immediately.
- Consuming a few cloves the garlic or garlic tablets each day, is highly recommended, it can cause bad breath but it is believed to help cure a yeast infection.
When you walk down the dairy aisle of a supermarket, definitely your eyes can not avoid staring from various types of yogurt, but it’s not the problem. Why are there a lot of yogurt products along with dairy? Yes, of course, because the yogurt is a fermented dairy products.
Because it is part of the dairy products, yogurt inherited almost all the goodness of dairy, it is rich in nutrients of calcium, riboflavin, protein, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6, along with its nutritional benefits and the good taste, plus with some kind of good bacteria as a result of fermentation, such as Lactobacillus acidophilus (a “friendly” strain of bacteria), which helps control the overgrowth of the fungus responsible for a yeast infection.
With all of its advantages, making yogurt as one of the best home remedies to get rid of yeast infection, in which it will help in calming down the itching and burning sensation, especially in the vaginal infections that one experiences. For this matter, only use plain and unsweetened yogurt. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Plain yogurt. (ii) Tampon or cotton bud.
- Apply the plain yogurt directly to the infected area and leave it for approximately 30 minutes.
- Dip a tampon into the yogurt and use it for treating yeast infection in the vagina. Insert into the vagina for two hours, and perform twice a day.
- As a complementary treatment, including the yogurt into your daily diet, as a meal or part of the meal
Cranberry and its juice, is believed highly efficacious in preventing yeast infection. There is no doubt about it, as said by many doctors and scientists.
Cranberries contain antioxidants and anti-fungal properties, and the substances present in cranberry juice, render the bacteria for unable to cling to the intestines, urinary tract as well as the walls of the mouth.
Moreover, cranberry juice is an efficient way to acidify the vaginal secretions and flushing the Candida yeasts overgrowth from the body. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cranberry juice. (ii) Cranberry tablets – optional.
- Drink cranberry juice regularly for two or three times a day. Avoid additional sweetener in the juice.
- You can also eat fresh cranberries directly if you prefer.
- In case for practicality, simply consume cranberry tablets instead. They are widely available in the stores of natural herbal.
Oregano has been known since ancient times, it was first used by the ancient Greeks for the culinary context, to flavor meats, sauces and soups to enhance the distinctive Mediterranean flavors. Currently, this herb is commonly found in most modern American kitchens.
Oregano oil can be used both externally and internally, it contains active ingredients, “Thymol and Carvacrol” and has been found to possess remarkable antifungal, antiviral and antibacterial properties, in which all these goodness can improve the immune system and eliminate the organism responsible for the yeast infection. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oregano oil. (ii) Olive oil. (iii) Oregano oil capsules – optional
- Dilute the oregano oil with olive oil. Remember, as the oregano oil can irritate the skin, avoid rubbing directly onto it.
- Apply diluted oregano oil topically on the area of yeast infection. Do this several times a day for several weeks.
- You may consume oregano oil capsules 1-2 times a day along with topically treatment.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar and white vinegar, both of them are rich in specific compounds that are used as a powerful antioxidant, anti-virus and anti-fungal tonic, which is can control the overgrowth of fungus that cause the yeast infection.
It is packed with vitamin B1, B2, B6, and C, as well as some minerals and nutrients such as pectin, ash, potassium, calcium and acetic acid.
All of these contents will work in synergy to establish an alkaline environment and helps to keep the bodies possess a healthy balanced pH level, preventing yeast infection. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Apple cider vinegar – organic and brown in color. (ii) Warm water.
- Prepare a cup of warm water and add two tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, stir and drink twice a day.
- For external treatment, you can have a shower of warm water mixed with two cups of apple cider vinegar.
- Soak your body for 10-15 minutes will help reduce the irritation and itching due to yeast infection.
- If you do not have much time, simply dilute the apple cider vinegar with a little water and apply on the affected area of the infection.
- Wait for half an hour and rinse with water afterwards.
Extract of Olive Leaf
Like many other natural home remedies for yeast infection, olive leaf extract is also rich in anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, makes it excellent for restoring the amount of good bacteria in the body and prevent the overgrowth the fungus responsible for the yeast infection.
Both of them, either olive oil or its extract, provide excellent health benefits to get rid of yeast infection for good. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive leaves. (ii) Glass jar. (iii) Vodka.
- It will take some time to make the olive leaf extract.
- Take some olive leaves, and finely chopped the leaves, store them in a glass jar with a lid.
- Pour vodka into the bottle to cover the entire leaves, close the lid and keep it in the dark place.
- After four weeks of retention, strain the liquid to separate the chopped leaves and vodka, and store in another bottle.
- Use the solution to treat the infected area topically. Repeat three times a day to achieve the desired results.
Basil leaf, in a culinary context, it is mostly used to enhance the taste of the cuisines. However, as it contains antibiotic and antifungal properties, it can be used to cure a yeast infection as well.
For other medicinal purposes, it can also treat coughs and colds, insect stings and bites, ear infections, soothes the stomach, reducing stress and much more. For yeast infection remedy, here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Water – 3½ cups. (ii) Ground basil – 1 ¼ teaspoons.
- Put the ground basil into boiling water for a few minutes.
- Cover up so that the steam does not go away and steep it for 30 minutes, leave it until it reach the room temperature.
- Spray the solution on the affected areas of infection or gargle it if there is an infection in the wall of the mouth.
Additional Effective Tips to Prevent Yeast Infection
Several additional actions are necessary to prevent recurrent yeast infection and prevent its spreading. Try to apply the following tips to overcome this ailment, including.
- Avoid stress, you may practice meditation or yoga regularly.
- Do not use soaps containing alcohol to avoid irritation and prevent imbalance in vaginal pH levels.
- Avoid intercourse while having a yeast infection, to prevent the spread. Apply a healthy and balanced diet.
- Wear textured cotton and loose clothes. Check the pH level of your body, especially your vagina.
- If you have a vaginal pH level below 4, it indicates a yeast infection is happening.
- Never use baking soda to relieve itching and irritation, it establishes the environment that promotes the growth of the yeast, due to rising of pH levels.
If the yeast infection or its symptoms that you have is recurring, even more severe, the best way is to see your doctor, there is possibility of other diseases beyond the infection that requires further proper treatment.