How many of you who like to drink herbal teas? Of course, the answer to this question cannot be accurately defined. The reason is that drinking tea has become part of the lifestyle of modern society. In addition, there are many varieties of tea that is already known by the community, from tea made from leaves such as green tea and black tea, until the herbal tea made from flowers such as chamomile tea.
People love these herbal teas, as they are proven to promote tremendous benefits to the body, and for this article, we will try to review the chamomile tea benefits, particularly for your health and beauty. Chamomile tea is one of the most popular tea among herbal drink enthusiasts. It is easily available on the market and is a great ingredient that provides many uses and health benefits.
The benefits of chamomile tea include serving the healing advantages of certain conditions such as protecting the skin, curing the immune system, lowering stress levels and many more. Now let’s get to know more about the chamomile and its derivative products and what is chamomile tea good for in the following elaboration.
What is Chamomile Tea?
Not much to say about chamomile, because it is simply an herb derived from a blooming plant that comes from a daisy gang. Chamomile is a plant which has the scientific name L. Matricaria chamomile, Anthemis Nobilis or Chamaemelum Nobile (L.), of the family plant of Compositae (Asteraceae).
Chamomile is a plant that is widely found in the mainland of North Africa, Europe as well as northern Asia. The word of “chamomile” is taken from Greece which means Chamosdan Milos (Apples). Therefore, you probably wonder what does chamomile tea taste like? It is true; chamomile has an aroma similar to apples.
The plant grows to a height of about 30 cm from the surface of the soil, equipped with crimped and branched stems, as well as pale green leaves. The flowers of this plant are similar to daisies which have white petals and yellow cores.
People use the stems and flowers to make derivative products from chamomiles, such as chamomile tea, chamomile capsules and chamomile extracts that are believed to be the health benefits of chamomile that they might get.
The flowers of this plant can be dried and stored for various herbal ingredients and natural remedies for certain medical conditions and most people take the chamomile tea as a popular form of chamomile plant.
Natural Ingredients of Chamomile Tea
Chamomile contains most of the flavonoid compounds (especially the component called apigenin), sesquiterpenes, and other potent antioxidants (e.g., volatile oils, such as bisabolol oxides A and B, and matricin) that have a significant impact on the body.
Due to the various compounds content of chamomile, makes them as therapeutic and healing properties for various health problems including hair and skin. Chamomile tea can be consumed as an herbal drink, or it can also be topically applied to certain cases related to skin problems.
Preparing a Delicious Chamomile Tea at Home
It is imperative to prepare the tea beverages properly to get the health benefits of chamomile tea. Basically, you just need to know how to brew a cup of chamomile tea, of course with some additional ingredients to add its flavor, though it is not a necessity.
Ingredients you need: (i) Water – 10 ounces. (ii) Dried chamomile flowers – two teaspoons. (iii) Lemon juice or honey – sufficiently (optional).
- Take 10 ounces of water and heat it up for every cup of tea you make. Take 2 tablespoons of dried chamomile flowers and place them into a cup.
- Pour hot water into a cup of chamomile flowers and allow it to steep for a few minutes to ensure the chamomile flowers are infused with hot water properly.
- Strain the liquid and place some lemon juice or honey to add the taste of chamomile tea. Enjoy this tea in the morning or evening on a regular basis.
What are the Benefits of Chamomile Tea
Once we realize how to prepare chamomile tea properly, now it is time to learn further, what does chamomile do, so that this amazing herbal tea can be applied to address various health concerns? Some of the chamomile tea health benefits are useful for treating indigestion, muscle pain, skin irritation, mouth ulcers, insomnia, etc. However, it comes with hundreds of medical benefits available, and some of them are.
Good for Skin Health
Chamomile tea is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, which means that it can be applied as a natural product for skin health. Not only can you drink chamomile tea to boost your immunity, but you can also apply chamomile tea topically on the affected areas of irritation or skin conditions, like eczema.
Direct application of chamomile tea can accelerate the healing process and prevent the formation of wrinkles and blemishes on the skin. Topically applications that may be able to help other skin problems including.
Cures Skin Inflammation
If you have a scar inflammation of the skin, the topical application of chamomile tea is a great relief. Anxiolytic sedation and cancer prevention agents present in chamomile tea can remove scars and fight skin inflammation in one application.
- You can take an approach for treating skin inflammation, through orally or topically.
- Simply by taking the chamomile tea and drink it regularly, and do not forget to apply topically to the affected area you have helped yourself to free from the scars of skin inflammation.
Acts as Skin Bleaching
Chamomile tea works great in providing dyes to skin tones and offers a bleaching effect to the skin. It gives magic to your skin’s appearance and gives you amazing skin tones. Chamomile tea is also useful for tightening skin pores, and if you use it regularly, it can reduce freckles and inflammation pimple scars.
- Make a cup of warm chamomile tea as described earlier. Add rose water to taste and a tablespoon of nectar into the mixture.
- Stir the mixture and apply it on the face and neck area to lighten your skin. Wait for 15 minutes and rinse with water afterwards.
Treats Skin Irritation
Due to an excellent source of antioxidants and tons of healing properties, making chamomile tea works perfectly to relieve itching, redness and skin irritation and promote the healing process faster.
Topical application of chamomile tea is also able to reduce the pain of sunburn. Furthermore, chamomile tea is also able to reduce eye fatigue due to radiation exposure of TV or PC Monitor in the extended periods.
- You can apply chamomile tea along with your daily shower, or apply directly on the affected area to reduce the effects of skin rash.
- Chamomile tea can also be used on baby’s skin due to diaper rash or other skin disorders. It keeps the delicacy of your baby’s skin and makes your child sleep soundly.
- For those with dry and irritating scalp flakes, the application of chamomile tea can help a lot to reduce irritation and even worse scalp situation.
Good as Skin Moisturizer
Chamomile tea is excellent for the skin because it turns out that it provides the essential nutrients needed by the skin to create a softness to the skin. Besides, this tea also works great as a skin moisturizer that improves moisture and is useful for better skin revitalization.
Chamomile tea can also act as a skin cleanser, covering inflammation and working as an excellent toner for the skin.
- Simply apply chamomile tea to the area of the skin wherever you want on a regular basis, either in the morning or evening. Enjoy your skin that looks soft, supple and smooth over time.
- You can also consume chamomile tea on a regular basis to give a good effect for skin health in general.
Improves Immune System
A weak immune system can trigger a variety of health conditions. Suffering from a runny nose, persistent headache, cough, etc. can arise due to certain infection. You can come up with chamomile tea to overcome this problem, as the phenolic compounds present in chamomile tea have been clinically tested to help combat bacterial-related infections in the body and work to boost the immune system.
Simply by taking a 3-5 cups of chamomile tea a day for about two weeks can provide a significant effect to boost the immune system and fighting off infections.
Control Blood Sugar
The health benefits of chamomile tea include keeping the blood sugar levels in the body. Therefore, it is appropriate for diabetics and prevents further manifestations of diabetes.
The organic compounds contained in chamomile tea prevent spikes in blood sugar in the body by regulating the amount of insulin in the blood. In conclusion, chamomile tea is a healing agent for diabetes and related diseases such as nerves, kidneys, heart and blindness.
Chamomile tea provides a good relaxation effect; therefore, it is helpful to reduce anxiety and stress. Similarly, chamomile tea also provides better sleep quality and prevents insomnia. In conclusion, the use of chamomile tea is an excellent home remedy for treating mild to moderate generalized anxiety disorder (GAD).
- Prepare about 3 cups of chamomile tea daily and drink it regularly to get a better relaxation effect.
- You can add some lemon juice or honey, but it is better for you to drink tea without any additional ingredients.
- Do not forget to drink a glass of chamomile tea, 30 minutes before bed to get better sleep quality.
Good for Hair Treatment
Problems with the hair and scalp have become part of modern society. They often struggle with dandruff, hair loss and even blond hair that do not know how to handle them properly. Chamomile tea can be a great solution for any condition of your hair.
It works perfectly to anticipate dandruff and reduce itching on the scalp due to dandruff. Anti-inflammatory properties present in chamomile tea are useful for reducing irritation of the scalp; besides, it is also able to strengthen hair strands by providing essential nutrients to the hair roots. In general, chamomile tea gives the appearance of smoother and silkier hair.
- Boil one ounce of dried chamomile flowers in one and a half bowls of water for approximately 30 minutes.
- Strain and leave to cool down completely, use the liquid to rinse off your hair and scalp regularly.
Note » You need to apply once a week in case of your hair is in worse condition.
Treats Menstrual Discomfort
Menstruation can cause discomfort for some women. However, you can rely on chamomile tea intake to overcome with menstrual symptoms such as anxiety, cramps, bloating, sweating, mood swings, difficulty in sleeping, etc.
Chamomile tea is packaged with an amino acid called glycine, a compound that helps reduce muscle spasms. In addition, this amino acid also helps relieve and relax the nervous tension associated with such menstrual symptoms.
The intake of chamomile tea on the body regularly can have a significant effect on the body. It promotes the effects of the Emmenagog on the body, which directly refresh the blood flow in the uterus and pelvic region. Therefore, it is not surprising that women who drink chamomile tea regularly, tend to get their period on time and get a strong uterus.
- Get 3 or 4 cups of warm chamomile tea and drink on a regular basis to obtain relief from menstrual cramps and other symptoms.
- Add sufficient honey or lemon juice as a flavor enhancer if necessary. You will also get menstruation on time by consuming this chamomile tea.
Note » Be careful in taking chamomile tea when you decide to get pregnant, or women living with tumors such as breast and cervical cancer. You need to consult your doctor while taking chamomile tea.
Treatment for Stomach Issues
Chamomile tea is a great healing agent associated with stomach and digestive problems. If a person has stomach problems such as gastric irritation, ranging anywhere from mild bloating to IBS symptoms, chamomile tea may help reduce the suffering caused by these symptoms.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) is a gastrointestinal system disorder which characterized by bloating and changes in the pattern of defecation (diarrhea or constipation). Chamomile tea can be used to relieve abdominal torture and reduce gas and bloating in the digestive tract.
In general, chamomile tea has been clinically proven to help relieve symptoms of abdominal pain that you may know, including stomach ulcers, irritation, colic, and abdominal influenza. It also helps reduce the stress caused by stomach torture and improve digestion.
- Grab a cup of chamomile tea in the morning and at night before bed on a regular basis.
- Take this tea regularly for several weeks to help prevent more serious conditions developing in your intestines.
Treatment for Allergy and Rashes
Do you have allergic problems and irritating rashes? Chamomile can work as a natural antihistamine to soothe allergic reactions in the body. Although chamomile can actually be an allergen for some people, especially those who are allergic to chrysanthemums, daisies, and ragweed. However, chamomile may modulate the immune response to allergens.
Chamomile tea also provides a cooling effect in the body and relieves a structured rash on the back during the summer. It also disposes of other side effects due to skin rashes.
- A cup of tea, whether taken in the morning or evening can help reduce allergic reactions throughout the body.
- Dip a cotton ball and apply it to the area of the rash on the back, and you will be free from the problem of the rash and accompanying symptoms.
Reduces Swelling and Dark Circles
The health condition of the body can vary over time, which can affect the skin condition as well. Some skin conditions such as swelling, redness, dark skin may occur due to the influence of internal or external factors. If you suffer from swelling and redness due to acne, a topical application of chamomile tea may help you to reduce the adverse effects.
Not limited to acne breakouts, in case of other skin conditions such as chicken pox, dermatitis and other types of contamination, chamomile tea can also be a great help to alleviate such conditions. In addition, topical applications of chamomile tea are also known to be excellent at removing any darkening of the skin like dark circles under the eyes, thanks to the antioxidant properties present in chamomile tea.
- Dip a cotton ball into a cup of chamomile tea and apply it to the affected area of inflammation or redness. Repeat for two times a day.
- Place a chamomile tea bag into the refrigerator for a few minutes, then hold the tea bag under your eyes for a few moments to remove the dark circles.
Treats Headache Effectively
Chamomile tea contains soothing properties because of the content of certain compounds that can reduce nervous tension. The amazing properties of this tea can be applied to treat certain headaches like a migraine. It helps reduce the torments due to migraines and relieves related symptoms if the tea is taken regularly.
- Simply brew 4-5 cups of chamomile tea and drink it all day and regularly to get rid of your headaches.
- You can also take chamomile in capsule, liquid concentrate, ointment and also dry head forms, instead of tea and still get the similar effect when dealing with a migraine.
Additional Tips Regarding to Chamomile Tea
You need to consider some additional tips while taking chamomile as an herbal remedy because it turns out that several people have the possibility to develop certain conditions when applying chamomile in their daily regimen. A few of them are,
People with Bleeding Disorders
People with Allergic Reactions
For Pregnant Women
Avoid While Driving any Vehicles
Avoid Overdrinking this Tea
Chamomile tea contains Coumarin, a compound that has the ability as a blood thinner. Therefore, people with bleeding disorders, they should avoid drinking chamomile tea.
Chamomile is an allergen for some people. Thus, individuals with allergic reactions from Daisy families, such as ragweed, daisies, marigolds or chrysanthemum, they should be cautious in taking chamomile tea, as it may worsen the conditions.
Consumption of chamomile tea may stimulate the uterus development, as chamomile may increase the risk of miscarriage, thus for pregnant women or those planning to conceive, limit to drinking chamomile tea or avoiding chamomile tea intake for a while.
The relaxation effect of chamomile tea can cause drowsiness, so you should avoid drinking this tea when you want to drive a car or other vehicle.
Excessive consumption of chamomile tea can cause skin and vomiting reaction, therefore limit the intake of chamomile tea only twice a day or a maximum of four times a day for certain conditions. While for children aged five years and below, give the chamomile tea no more than half a cup a day.
So from now on, you can go to take a bag of chamomile tea or mix yourself from dried chamomile flowers and start your journey to get a healthy body, and fine hair as well as radiant skin.