One of the problems in the care and beauty of feet is the appearance of dead skin. Dead skin cells on the feet lead to cracked feet, dull and rough.
There is a possibility that you have dead skin on your feet for many reasons, but the main reason behind the emergence of dead skin is the lack of moisture on your feet.
While other reasons that became the trigger why you have dead skin problem are,
What Causes of Dead Skin on Feet?
There several reason that triggers the onset of dead skin on feet, you may have one of these,
- Standing too long, constant pressure on the foot for too long could lead to more dead skin on your feet.
- Harsh soaps, some soap product is not suitable for your skin and leaves the dead skin on the feet.
- Overweight, when your foot sustains excess weight, it can lead to more dead skin on the feet.
- Medical conditions, some medical conditions can lead to dry feet and cracked.
- Inappropriate footwear, especially for women who often wear high heels can have more dead skin on their feet.
Home Remedies to Remove Dead Skin from Feet
There are many ways you can do to get rid of dead skin on the feet, but if you want the natural ways, we have some natural home remedies to cure cracked feet because of a buildup of dead skin on your feet.
As the first remedy, you can use the paraffin wax as an exfoliating agent for dead skin cells that cause cracked feet. It is known for a long time and proved to be effective in restoring skin elasticity and prevents the feet from cracking.
The natural emollient properties of paraffin wax make the skin softer since it works by retaining the natural oils on the skin. Accordingly it is not surprising that the paraffin wax is an easy way to eliminate dead skin cells on your feet.
Ingredients you need: (i) Paraffin wax – some. (ii) Coconut oil – sufficiently. (iii) Mustard oil – optional.
- Heat some paraffin wax in a container. Add a little coconut oil or mustard oil into the liquid wax.
- Let the paraffin wax to cool to its room temperature. Apply a mixture of paste wax on the cracks of your feet.
- Use a pair of socks and leave overnight.
- Wash your feet in the morning and apply this process every day for a week.
Note » For best result, it is advisable that the use of paraffin wax is before bed at night.
Epsom salt is made from natural minerals contained in the water, or better known as magnesium sulfate; it is taken from the name of a town name in English, the city of Epsom.
Epsom salt can be used in natural medicine; it acts as a natural exfoliant and anti-inflammatory medication.
When applied to the feet, it can improve circulation around the foot and facilitate the healing of the cracked feet, because it is easy to get rid of dead skin cells that accumulate in the feet. The high content of magnesium in Epsom salts can facilitate the release of toxins out from your feet.
Ingredients you need: (i) Epsom salt – 1½ cups. (ii) Warm water – one foot tub. (iii) Pumice stone. (iv) Moisturizer or petroleum jelly.
- Mix one foot tub of warm water with the Epsom salt. Enter your feet into the tub and soak for 10 minutes.
- Lift your legs and rub with a pumice stone in the cracked area needs to removed.
- Put your feet again into a tub of warm water for 10 minutes.
- Lift your legs and pat dry, apply a moisturizer or petroleum jelly afterward.
- Repeat this process several times a day for several days.
In addition to healthy, the oatmeal is known to treat effectively skin softness when applied to the skin, including removing dry and cracked feet.
You can make a natural scrub from the oatmeal to help remove dead skin cells on the feet that causes cracked feet, while maintaining the moisture of your feet. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Oatmeal powder – sufficiently. (ii) Jojoba oil – sufficiently. (iii) Honey -sufficiently. (iv) Olive oil – sufficiently.
- Make a paste of one tablespoon of powdered oatmeal and a little of jojoba oil. Apply on the heels and callused area of your feet, massaging gently.
- Wait for 30 minutes and then rinse your feet with cool water and pat dry.
- Alternatively, mix ¼ cup honey and ¼ cup olive oil into 1½ cups of oatmeal to form a thick paste.
- Soak your feet in warm water for 10 minutes. Lift the feet and apply the paste to the callused area on your feet, massaging gently.
- Leave for 30 minutes then rinse with cold water. Pat dry and followed with a moisturizer over your feet.
Note » Repeat the remedies several times a week.
White vinegar is very effective to cure the problem of cracked feet. It works to eliminate dead skin cells and the acetic acid contained in the white vinegar is very helpful in softening the skin of your feet. In addition, soaks feet with vinegar is also provide great benefit when your feet are tired.
Ingredients you need: (i) White vinegar – 1½ cups. (ii) Warm water. (iii) Rice flour. (iv) Honey. (v) Olive oil.
- Prepare a basin of warm water and mix well with the white vinegar. Soak your feet in the basin for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rub gently the cracked feet areas with a pumice stone. Pat dry your feet and apply with petroleum jelly or moisturizer.
- Alternatively, make a thick paste of a handful of rice flour added a few tablespoons of honey and a cup of apple cider vinegar.
- You may add one tablespoon of olive oil to the paste.
- Wash your feet and then apply the paste to the areas of cracked feet while gently massage for a few minutes.
- Rinse your feet and then dry them thoroughly. Repeat the process twice a week.
Lemon juice used as a primary ingredient for beauty skin care, including maintaining the softness of the foot, and many have been used for this purpose since many generations.
It is very beneficial for the skin because it has natural acidic properties, which make it perfectly removes the dead skin cells and dry on your feet, and produces the natural soft skin. Here’s how.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – a few. (ii) Warm water – one basin. (iii) Sea salt. (iv) Olive oil.
- Prepare a basin of warm water and add the lemon juice into it. Insert your feet into the basin and soak for 10 minutes.
- Gently rub your feet with a pumice stone or a soft foot brush. Dry your feet and apply a moisturizer on your feet.
- You can also make a scrub for feet made of a mixture of one lemon juice, five tablespoons of sea salt and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Rub the area your cracked feet and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Wash and dry your feet subsequently. Perform this treatment twice a week to get a positive result.
Glycerin and Rosewater
Glycerin works as a basic medication to cure cracked feet because it has a moisturizing and humectant properties. The dermatologists widely use glycerin before doing some treatments on the skin, so it is not surprising that its use on the feet makes your feet softer than ever.
Ingredients you need: (i) Glycerin – as per required. (ii) Rosewater – as per required. (iii) Lemon juice – as per required.
- Mix equal amounts of glycerin and lemon juice, add a little rosewater.
- Apply it on your cracked feet areas.
- Wait for 20 minutes and then rinse your feet.
- Apply a moisturizer on your feet and do it daily for a week.
We can use an overripe banana to eliminate the problem of cracked feet. It provides a natural essential moisture to prevent cracking on foot. So that it can make your feet smooth and moist naturally.
Ingredients you need: (i) Overripe banana – one. (ii) Avocado – ½. (iii) Warm water – sufficiently.
- Blend the banana and avocado simultaneously to make a thick paste.
- Apply this paste on the areas of your cracked feet.
- Leave for 20 minutes then rinse with warm water and cold water and pat dry afterwards.
- Repeat every day for a few days to get a positive result.
Mentholated rub is another popular method that highly effective in removing dry and cracked feet. It is rich in natural essential oils that give lots benefits for the skin, on the other hand, it is also beneficial in curing toenail fungus in case you have it.
Ingredients you need: (i) Mentholated rub. (ii) Warm water.
- Clean your feet by washing with clean water before bed and pat dry thoroughly. Apply some mentholated rub on your feet, especially in the cracked feet areas.
- Wear a pair of socks when going to bed and leave overnight. Wash your feet with warm water, once you wake up in the morning.
- Repeat this process every day, until the rough skin peels off, and your feet look softer.
Coconut oil is a simple and easy remedy to get rid of the cracked feet. It works to soften and remove the dead skin cells, which in turn makes your feet retain its moisture. Additionally, coconut oil is also rich in anti-microbial and anti-fungal that is very good for the health of your skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Coconut oil. (ii) Warm water.
- Soak your feet in warm water and do it before bedtime. Gently rub your feet with a pumice stone or a feet soft brush.
- Dry your feet and apply coconut oil to parts of cracked feet. Wear cotton socks overnight.
- Wash your feet with warm water in the morning. Do it every day until you are satisfied with the results.
Note » You may use olive oil in the same way, in case you have difficulty in finding coconut oil.
Scrubbing is the simplest way to get rid of hard and dead skin on feet and helps a lot in removing the cracked feet. You can soak your feet in warm soapy water to soften the skin on the feet for scrubbing process becomes easier.
Ingredients you need: (i) Liquid soap. (ii) Warm water. (iii) Pumice stone.
- Fill a basin of warm water plus a small amount of liquid soap. Soak your feet in a basin and let stand for 20 minutes.
- Gently rub your feet with a pumice stone to remove the dead skin cells.
- Rinse and pat dry your feet with a towel. Follow by applying a moisturizer on your feet and leave overnight.
In the right dose, rice flour is the best exfoliating agent for the dead skin cells that can restore the softness of your feet due to cracked feet, keeping the feet smooth and soft.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rice flour – one handful. (ii) Honey – one teaspoon. (iii) Olive oil – one teaspoon. (iv) Apple cider vinegar – one teaspoon.
- Grind a handful of rice flour to form a powder. Add with honey, apple cider vinegar and the olive oil to form a paste.
- Massage the cracked feet with the rice flour paste for 5 minutes but first soak your feet for 15 minutes in warm water.
- Rinse your feet with clean water and apply a moisturizer. Repeat this process each day until the cracked feet subsided.
Additional Tips to Cure and Prevent Cracked Feet
There are some important things you should consider to prevent cracked feet reoccur, including.
- Eating a healthful diet which is rich in omega 3, vitamin E, iron, calcium, zinc and vegetables in your diet.
- Moisturize and wash your feet regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight to prevent the excess pressure on your feet.
- Do not stand for too long because it can result in cracked feet.
- Stay hydrated to prevent chapped feet and other skin problems.
- Minimize the use of sandals or open shoes to prevent feet expansion.
This treatment can help you to remove dead skin cells, which in turn restores the skin on your feet become soft and supple.
If you find that the skin on your feet is hard to recover from the condition of cracked, you should immediately consult a podiatrist for treatment accordingly.