Have you ever thought, what people noticed about you other than your eyes? Yes, it is your lips. The lips become an attractive zone of the body when it looked flushed and fully. However when it comes to dry and chapped lips, it can turn out to be irritating, unattractive and painful.
Sometimes, this situation may lead to frustration, confusion even stressful, especially for those of you which constantly keeping your body on the top of your health.
When the winter comes, our skin has difficulty in retaining its moisture. It occurs because, the outer skin is always exposed to cold temperatures, while the body retains its temperature for always goes up, resulting in the loss of skin moisture.
Besides, the skin of the lips does not have the ability to produce its own moisture as a consequence of the lack of sebaceous glands.
It makes the lips becomes dry easily, thus the lack of the moisture can lead to various skin complaints including dry and chapped lips.
The lips composed of skin structure that has a thin and delicate texture, resulting in susceptible to flaking and cracking with just a few triggers from external and internal factors. So, let’s find out more.
What Causes Chapped Lips?
Various factors can trigger the onset of dry and chapped lips, knowing them earlier can make you more vigilant. A few of them are.
√ Vitamins deficiency ⇔ specifically the lack of vitamin B.
√ Harsh weathers ⇔ winters or summers even it can happen during any season.
√ Licking lips excessively ⇔ it can cause your lips dries instead of moist.
√ Dehydration ⇔ it can make your body lost its moisture.
√ Smoking and alcohol ⇔ no doubt that both are removing moisture of the body.
√ Medications ⇔ they may trigger some of allergies and lead to dryness.
Symptoms of Dry and Chapped Lips
Symptoms of dry and chapped lips are shown in one of the following conditions, if you have one of them, you are probably dealing with the chapped lips.
▪ The appearance of swelling on the lips.
▪ Severe dryness on the lips.
▪ Mouth sores or canker sores.
▪ Peeling of the skin of the lips.
▪ Patches and cracks in the skin.
▪ Bleeding occurs around the area of the lips.
▪ Whitish scales under the mouth.
Those are some of the symptoms which are often found in people who have chapped lips. The severity of symptoms can vary, depending on the condition of your mouth. Now, it is time to find out the appropriate treatment for your lovely lips.
Home Remedies to Get Rid of Dry Chapped Lips
When you wake up one day in the morning, and you might start thinking what you should do to get rid of dry chapped lips fast.
There are tons of beauty products available around the market these days, formulated to treat the problem of chapped lips, yet you do not have to burn a hole in your pocket.
Chapped lips is not a serious problem, only by adopting a healthy lifestyle with the help of some natural home remedies, you can treat this condition easily without wasting your money on the ointments.
It’s time to jump out of bed and started looking for the ingredients to get rid of dry and chapped lips naturally.
Sugar Scrub for Chapped Lips
We do not take sugar as a sweetener for beverage, instead of sugar is an exfoliating agent that removes dead skin cells efficiently.
Exfoliating dead skin cells from chapped lips may help reveal the natural color of the lips and restores the suppleness and softness from the lips faster. Sugar scrub is excellent for exfoliation and suitable for delicate skin.
Ingredients you need: (i) Brown sugar – two teaspoons. (ii) Honey – ½ teaspoon. (iii) Olive oil – optional.
- Prepare a small bowl and fill it with sugar and honey, add a few drops of olive oil if necessary.
- Stir the mixture evenly and leave for 5 minutes to make the sugar becomes softer.
- Apply the scrub on the lips equally, while gently rub around the lips with your fingers to loosen dead skin cells. Do this for a few minutes.
- Rinse off the lips with lukewarm water, pat dry and apply the lip balm afterward.
Honey and Vaseline
The amazing antibacterial properties present in honey is one of the best healing agent provided by nature. It promotes the healing of chapped lips and works as a great moisturizer to keep skin well hydrated.
Vaseline is known as the best available protective skin nowadays. It works to nourish, soften and prevent the skin from dryness. By combining these two ingredients, you should get a delicious and efficient way to cure the problem of dry and chapped lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Pure organic honey – sufficiently. (ii) Vaseline – sufficiently.
- Simply apply the honey to taste on the lips evenly.
- Lubricate the lips with Vaseline on the top layer of the honey afterward and leave for 15 minutes.
- Clean up the honey and Vaseline with a soft damp cloth and repeat the process every day for a week.
Note » Vaseline coating helps prevent the honey from dryness and keep skin moist with extra hydration.
Cucumber for Chapped Lips
When it comes to summer, then look no further than cucumber as a great ally. The cooling properties of cucumber considered being useful for treating dry and get rid of chapped lips.
Cucumber is also a great way for soothing inflammation due to dry lips, lightening the skin and remove the tan simultaneously, resulting in a supple and softer lips.
Ingredients you need: (i)Cucumbers – a few slices.
- Make a few small slices of a cucumber. Gently rub a small slice on your lips evenly and let the juice absorbed by the skin of the lips.
- Wait for 15 minutes and wash your mouth with water afterward. Apply this treatment several times a day to get the lips soft and supple.
Rose Petals and Milk
Roses are one of the ornamental plants that many people know as the “Queen of Flowers”, and it has a beautiful appearance as a symbol of love. But actually, the roses can do a lot more than that. It can help you in many skin issues, including dry and chapped lips.
Rose petals reveal the natural color of the lips, as it contains great lightening properties to keep them pink and soft. When combining raw milk and rose petals, you acquire double benefits to get rid of dry chapped lips and provide enough moisture on your lips at once.
Ingredients you need: (i) Rose petals – sufficiently. (ii) Raw milk – one cup.
- Wash off a handful of the rose petals in the water. Soak the rose petals in a cup of raw milk for at least an hour.
- Mash the rose petals to form a smooth paste and apply it evenly on your dry lips.
- Leave for 20 minutes and rinse off with cold water afterward. Repeat this application two or three times a day and before going to bed.
Note » You can soak the rose petals in a cup of glycerin, in case you have problems with dairy products.
Aloe Vera for Chapped Lips
Aloe vera provides extraordinary healing properties to deal with many health complaints and has been well known for many generations. It contains natural ingredients that work as antiseptic and an excellent natural moisturizer to get rid of dry chapped lips and strengthen the thin protective oil layer on the lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Aloe vera gel – sufficiently.
- Simply apply aloe vera gel every day or before bedtime.
- Rinse with cold water As it dries up or once in the morning. Let the aloe vera works to soothe and cool your dry lips.
Note » Despite having an unpleasant taste yet aloe vera is very effective to deal with this situation.
Lemon and Honey
Many of us focus on anti-aging products only for the face, yet it is not entirely true, as our lips also require anti-aging ointments to stay soft and smooth for many years.
In order to deal with this situation, nothing is better than lemon, honey and vitamin E. These three ingredients are very effective for lightening the lips and promote a new life for dry and chapped lips.
Honey works as a natural moisturizer and provides protection against free radicals, while the lemon is a natural bleaching agent that is excellent for skin lightening of your lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Lemon juice – one teaspoon. (ii) Honey – one teaspoon. (iii) Castor oil – ½ teaspoon.
- Mix the three ingredients of lemon juice, honey, and castor oil and stir well.
- Apply the mixture evenly on dry lips first, every time you go to bed. Rinse off in the morning and apply a lip balm afterward. You can repeat this process every day for 10 days forward.
Fresh Milk Cream
For those of you who like dairy products, you can take the goodness of milk cream to get rid of dry chapped lips. It is rich in fats and lots of essential vitamins, which work as great moisturizers to help heal and soften dry and chapped lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Fresh cream milk – sufficiently. (ii) Lukewarm water – sufficiently.
- Prepare the fresh milk adequately and apply thoroughly on your dry lips. Don’t forget to clean your hand first.
- Leave for 15 minutes and rinse well your lips with cotton ball dipped in warm water afterward. Repeat this process every day to have the soft lips.
Flaxseed Oil for Chapped Lips
Flaxseed oil contains fatty acids and nourishing properties that provide an alternative benefit for obtaining an excellent quality of the skin. It works penetrate deep into the skin tissues, making it ideal as a home remedy when dealing with dry and chapped lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Flaxseed oil – sufficiently.
- Take flaxseed oil from a capsule or a bottle, apply directly on your dry lips and spread evenly.
- Allow to stand for 40 minutes to let the oil completely absorbed. Rinse off with warm water afterward.
Pumpkin for Chapped Lips
Pumpkin contains significant amounts of vitamin E, in which this vitamin highly required by the skin as an anti-aging supplement and make the skin soft and supple. When applied to the lips, it helps to get rid of dry and chapped lips.
Ingredients you need: (i) Pumpkin puree – sufficiently. (ii) Pumpkin seed oil – sufficiently.
- You can make the pureed pumpkin and apply directly on your dry lips. Allow to stand for 10 minutes and rinse off with cold water afterward.
- You can also use pumpkin seed oil as a lubricant on your lips, simply apply the oil on your dry lips or mixed with lip balm.
- Use this method every night before bed to provide moisture to the lips and eliminating cracking.
Cocoa Butter for Chapped Lips
Cocoa butter is known as an excellent moisturizing agent and widely used in many beauty products available. It works great in softening the skin, and also excellent for dry chapped lips with great result.
This type of butter melts easily at room temperature, thus for the lips application, you do not have to provide any additional equipment to make it melted.
Ingredients you need: (i) Cocoa butter – one tablespoon. (ii) Coconut or olive oil – sufficiently.
- Make a mixture of one tablespoon of cocoa butter and olive oil or coconut oil.
- Apply the mixture evenly on the lips, do this spread before going to bed and repeat every day.
Almond Oil for Chapped Lips
Some of you may already be familiar with almonds. They are widely used for skin and hair care, including getting rid of chapped lips.
Almonds are rich in fatty acids and many vitamins such as vitamin E, making it as a favorite choice for a variety of skin complaints. Almond oil is light and easily absorbed by the skin, so that it works penetrate deep into the skin tissue and improve overall skin texture.
Ingredients you need: (i) Olive oil – sufficiently. (ii) Jojoba oil – optional.
- Simply apply the pure almond oil on your dry lips before going to bed.
- Leave overnight and rinse off with cold water in the morning. Do it every day for the desired result.
- You may also mix a few drops of jojoba oil and almond oil to get better results.
Prevention Tips for Dry Chapped lips
The body requires sufficient water intake to stays hydrated which is very helpful to prevent the appearance of chapped lips. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, even during the winter or when you feel thirsty is an efficient way to avoid dehydration.
If you are a fan of a variety of processed beverages such as coffee, tea, and soda, you should be aware of limiting the amount of intake of such fluids, including the alcohol intake and cigarettes. They are all responsible for removing moisture which leads to chapped lips and dryness in the mouth. Therefore, it is important to do following precautions as well.
Avoid Licking Dry Lips
Apply Lip Balms
Apply Moisturizer Cream
Exfoliating Skin of the Lips
Have you ever been tempted and always licking your lips when it feels rough and dry? From now on, restrain yourself to moisturize lips with your tongue.
It seemed to may help initially, but licking can make your lips dry out for a long time. Saliva contains enzymes which irritating the lips and cause a rash around the mouth and make the whole thing worse.
Lubricating the lips with a lip balm is essential to get rid of dry chapped lips, as the skin of the lips packed with thin and soft texture; thus, it cannot withstand the extreme temperatures that lead to the cracked. Pick a lip balm product that is proven effective, free of allergies and made from quality ingredients to provide the best protection layer on the lips, including protecting against the UV rays.
Try to obtain a lip balm packed with SPF, it would be better if equipped with essential oils such as jojoba oil and vitamin E, they are great agents in treating skin problems including the chapped lips.
The sebaceous glands produce natural oils to keep skin moisture; they can be found in the dermis layers in almost all parts of the body, except on the lips area, which makes it lose its natural moisture easily and lead to dry and chapped lips.
Therefore, giving moisture to the lips is becoming your primary task to eliminate dry chapped lips. Simply apply petroleum jelly such as Vaseline and Nivea to keep lips moist as well protecting it from the effects of high and low temperatures outside.
Use the moisturizing cream product three or four times a day, either when the weather is extremely hot or chilled. Conversely, apply once or twice a day when the climate is under normal circumstance.
When you notice your lips becomes dry, and the skin begins to peel, it is advisable for you to eliminate the detached pieces of the skin.
It is useful to maximize the function of lip balm in moisturizing the lips. The most efficient and safe way to eliminate the dead skin cells on the lips is by scrubbing the lips with a toothbrush having soft and soggy texture.
Gently brush off your lips in a circular motion and avoid to press hard, rinse off your lips with warm water when finished. Pat dry your lips with a soft fabric and apply lip balm or moisturizing cream afterward.
However, when you’ve run all the treatment but you keep notice there is no significant improvement of the condition of dry and cracked lips. It’s time for you to visit a dermatologist to examine your condition, find the primary cause and gives the appropriate treatment.